Author Topic: Lister 16-2 problems  (Read 1786 times)

Bpineo

• View Profile
Lister 16-2 problems
« on: November 22, 2017, 02:33:24 AM »
OK, so it has been a while since writing.  I am still having trouble getting this lister 16-2 to fire on both cylinders equally.  One cylinder has a great report and HOT exhaust temp.  The cylinder closest to the shut-down lever or what I seem to think is number 1 is the lazy cylinder with an "empty" report, warm but not hot exhaust temp, and black goo running out of the exhaust pipe which I assume is UN-burned fuel?  If I hold open the valves on cylinder #2 to asses #1, the engine slows down and labors to the point where it will almost stall.  I have now pulled out the injector of the lazy cylinder and cleaned it to find that it is working perfectly with sharp clouds of fine mist when rolling over engine.  I now have a bit warmer exhaust on the lazy cylinder but not much more power and the engine still labors when the healthy cylinder is shut down.   It is such a contrast that the generator this engine is turning makes the lights flicker due to impulses from the healthy cylinder.  I called on the diesel shop who supplied the engine and they assured me that the engine was rebuilt with new pistons, rings, and supplied with two rebuilt heads.  I tend to think this is true as the heads are really clean and there is no perceivable blow-by or leak off of compression when rolling the engine over by hand.  Why is there black goo filling the exhaust, and why is my engine not burning its fuel with a nice fine mist from the injector?  What am I missing? 

starfire

• View Profile
Re: Lister 16-2 problems
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 03:13:24 AM »
I am assuming you have equal compression on both cylinders? Crank the engine first with the good cylinder, then decompress that one and try the bad cylinder. The engine should be equally hard to turn each time.
Injector/fuel pump seems fine, you may need to check the fuel timing on that side.
Diesels only need fuel on time and compression to run.
The warm exhaust suggests heat from compression but ooze from not firing .
Timing seems to be the only reason left for this, but there has to be something really wrong for the timing to be out enough to not work.
Check valve clearances also.
Generally its actually harder to make a diesel not run.....

dieselspanner

• View Profile
Re: Lister 16-2 problems
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 08:02:53 AM »
Starfire may well be onto something,

If the compression is equal - ish and the injectors have been swapped left to right with no change there's not much left.

Presuming the cylinders fire 360 degrees apart (TDC is the same on both cylinders) you could try making a pointer alongside one of the flywheels and marking, as best you can, the point where the 'good'  cylinder 'creaks' and then checking the 'lazy' cylinder against it.

If there's a marked difference check out 38ac's timing tips (for a CS single) on the Wall of Knowledge and re time the 'lazy' then check using the 'good' cylinder as a datum.

'Once you've eliminated the obvious, what ever is left, how ever improbable, is the answer' - Sherlock Holmes

'No shite, Sherlock' - Doctor Watson

Cheers Stef

Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.