Puppeteer

Author Topic: lister cs 3.5 valve timing for idiots  (Read 6833 times)

dieselspanner

• View Profile
Re: lister cs 3.5 valve timing for idiots
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2017, 08:39:17 AM »
Next time you do an oil change you could try a paraffin test, overnight, maybe even jack it up off the bed plate so you can get a mirror underneath and have a proper shufti.

Cheers Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

basewindow

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2017, 09:44:37 AM »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=gqqrnz_IQgo

I think it now running right.

Actually found a photo with the head off at TDC. Lines up with the keyway at 6 o'clock.

My guesstimate was a little off so i re-timed it and put new marks on the flywheel.

Forgive my very poor video skills.

Does it sound and look ok to those who know?

Regards Cam.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 09:50:33 AM by basewindow »
1953 CS Lister 3.5hp, 1938? Bamford SD1 3.5hp, 1962 Fordson Super Dexta, 1969 International 434.

Samo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2017, 10:55:01 AM »
Sounds pretty good to me Cam. Like a grandfather clock, beautiful!
Samo
Lister CS 12/2 & JKSON 10/1 Listeroid

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2017, 12:05:30 PM »
Don't sound bad to me, either!

Timing isn't everything, these motors will run anywhere near but the nearer you get the better she'll run, the longer she'll last and the less fuel you'll use in service.

Keep tinkering with the old baby, you'll be surprised how much you learn, especially when you're not struggling with something you're not sure of.

A good effort all round, What are your plans now?

Cheers Stef

Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2017, 01:24:02 AM »
Nice restoration work, Cam.  Sounds sweet. 

basewindow

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2017, 08:49:11 PM »
Thanks all. All the suggestions from members and information on this forum made it all much easier.

Good to hear that it sounds correct and looks ok as well.

What are my plans for it?  Well it came with a generator head (features in another post) that i had hoped to get working and use as a backup generator for my solar powered Off Grid place (Charge batteries etc when the sun fails and for powering tools, pumps etc).

If the gen head cant be salvaged or wont suit the purpose I'll have to find one that will. (Suggestions?)

If that all works out I was going to build a small shed and mount it all permanently in there.

After that, start on my next one of course!
1953 CS Lister 3.5hp, 1938? Bamford SD1 3.5hp, 1962 Fordson Super Dexta, 1969 International 434.

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2017, 07:44:54 AM »
If you've not already done so, have a look at Starfire's early posts, there's a lot of useful off grid stuff there ref. running 12v car alternators and charging battery banks. Might be cheaper / easier / simpler should your alternator not come up to the mark'

Cheers Stef