Puppeteer

Author Topic: Lister LPWS2 stalling  (Read 2149 times)

hutash

• View Profile
Lister LPWS2 stalling
« on: October 22, 2017, 09:26:38 AM »
Hi, I hope that someone may be able to give me some advice on my Lister Petter LPWS2 (build 42) which has developed a fault in my narrowboat. When under heavy load it starts to slow down and there is a sort of slapping noise before it finally stalls. It will then not start for about a minute and when it finally starts there is a cloud of blueish smoke from the exhaust followed by brown smoke. It runs fine at low revs under load and high revs in idling.

Thinking it was fuel related I have checked all of the fuel lines for air and dirt at the primary filter, the lift pump and the return feed to the tank, I have also checked the primary pump and the fuel was clean.
I have changed;
1. The fuel filter,
2. Oil filter,
3. The oil (with 10w/40)
4. The injectors

The fault still exists and I am running out of ideas. The only areas that I think it could still be are the two injector pumps or a problem with the Governor, but will have to take the engine out to reach these, which I don't want to do unless I have to.

If anyone has any ideas or experience of this fault and the rectification I would be very grateful.

Thanks

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: Lister LPWS2 stalling
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 02:57:32 AM »
These do have very touchy and temperamental governors... but your problem more likely something in the fuel injection components. The noise related to your fault is of concern. How many hours on the engine? What oil pressure is it holding when hot?

We recently took a new rebuild back into our shop for suspected fuel injection problems and the client had run the unit with no oil in the crankcase - resulting in total destruction of the bottom-end. The unit would start up and run with a little extra noise, only moderate... and then in a short time heat up and stall as if in overload. Amazing it could run at all like that.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

hutash

• View Profile
Re: Lister LPWS2 stalling
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 01:28:09 PM »
Thanks for the reply Dieselgman. I bought the boat a year ago and the log shows the engine was built 1993 and the engine hours shows as approximately 3000 hours, but I cannot guarantee that. I don’t have an oil pressure gauge so cannot confirm the pressure.

I have read the workshop and user manual and was surprised to note that it is recommended to change the oil filter and the oil every hundred hours. In view of your comments I think I will have to take it to pieces and look at the governor and big ends just in case the oil levels and viscosity have caused and problems.

Thanks again.

Hutash