Puppeteer

Author Topic: Another build  (Read 5782 times)

dieselspanner

• View Profile
Re: Another build
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2017, 09:13:30 PM »
Nice post, Butch.

Once again, proof of how diverse and interesting this forum really is.

I've often wondered why the Amish featured occasionally in your posts,  but don't understand why they would prefer slow speed Listers over any other machine?

Cheers Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2017, 01:33:47 AM »
Very few slow speed diesels in use by the Amish these days. When they discoverd  Hondas for small portable power and Kubota, Duetz and the later Lister Petter products for larger power the slowspeed stuff was run til death and junked or regulated to keepsake status.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2017, 04:49:24 AM »

Butch - interesting and valuable comments as always

I went to an engine and tractor show a while back where there were several CSs running.  One was just beautiful.  It was in "working clothes" finish, worn green paint, some bare metal, oil stains, but it ran as smooth and knock-free and clean and sweet and gentle and quiet as any diesel I have ever seem.  No rocker cover, just the "sparrow filter" air intake and pepperpot exhaust - but head and shoulders above any of the others there for build quality.  I never found the owner, I would have liked to talk to him

I think that the sweet, quiet, gentle quality of their power delivery is the source of the fascination with them.  That and the (possibly unique) combination of exquisitely simple design and build quality allied to a simplicity of maintenance designed to suit anyone who can weild a spanner and apply common sense

Just my $0.02 on the appeal

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2017, 04:51:22 AM »
Very few slow speed diesels in use by the Amish these days. When they discoverd  Hondas for small portable power and Kubota, Duetz and the later Lister Petter products for larger power the slowspeed stuff was run til death and junked or regulated to keepsake status.
I also have quite a few Amish contacts and at least one I can call a good friend. He works on a lot of Lister equipment for his community, and others. The majority of his work has been later model 1800 rpm Listers, at least some of which have been used at slower speeds for traditional service on household and farm use. He is still quite active, more so than many of the older L/P workshops that I support.
Our current biggest activity is really with the latest water-cooled Alpha series engines - modern military surplus and DitchWitch repower. Lots of 4-cylinder L/P engines.

dieselgman
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 04:53:52 AM by dieselgman »
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations