Author Topic: 10/1 Lovson From Radiator to Tank Cooling  (Read 100 times)

queenofjacks

• Lovson 10/1 w/7.5KW ST
    • View Profile
10/1 Lovson From Radiator to Tank Cooling
« on: October 09, 2017, 06:29:28 PM »
  I have completed my conversion from Radiator to Tank Cooling - as discussed in another thread (things for sale).  I'm posting the results here because I think I'll get more feedback from folks!
  I removed all of the radiator stuff and installed a 55 gallon drum with a 195 degree thermostat and a valve in the lower hose to control 'gulping' and a temp gauge with sensor in a bronze tee about 3 inches out from the upper flange.  Things seem to be working fine, so far.  I did about a two hour test run today (no load) and played with the 'anti-gulping' valve - searching for the 'sweet spot'.  I think I'm pretty close -- but of course things will change when I put a load on it.  Right now, the temp gauge slowly goes up to 205 for a moment after the thermostat opens, then drifts down to 195 for a couple of minutes then slowly goes down to 160.  The temp stays there for 2 or 3 minutes, then slowly goes back up to 205 - starting the cycle all over again.  I can control the amount and timing of the temperature swing by playing with the valve.  Still experimenting - but I'm happy with things, so far.  I'm going to check actual cylinder head temp swings with an infra-red temp gauge (as soon as I get one).
  After a two hour run (no load), only the water above the upper hose got hot - about 120 degrees or so.  The lower two thirds of the drum was still cool but getting warmer ever so slowly. -- That'll change with a load, though.
  I'll report back after I've had a chance to thoroughly test things with a load after 5 or 6 hours or so.
                                                                                                                                        Cheers,
                                                                                                                                             Charlie
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 01:40:41 PM by queenofjacks »

Samo

• View Profile
Re: 10/1 Lovson From Radiator to Tank Cooling
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 08:01:47 PM »
Nice work Charlie, looks good, I'm sure the gulping will stop once you get a load on
Samo
Lister CS 12/2 & JKSON 10/1 Listeroid