Author Topic: Hello from a new Lister D owner  (Read 2047 times)

AndysOldEngine

• View Profile
Hello from a new Lister D owner
« on: October 08, 2017, 11:11:31 AM »
Hello form South Somerset  :)

I have recently acquired a Lister 26DH to clean up and get running.

Apparently not been run for nearly 40 years... So I've been freeing off all the rods and external bits and pieces that are not moving as they should.

Drained way to much sludge out of the sump as it appears to have been well overfull...

Is there an internal oil pump in these or does it just rely on splash feed for the bottom end?

Cheers

Andy

AndysOldEngine

• View Profile
Re: Hello from a new Lister D owner
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 11:49:57 AM »
Ok.

I did manage to get this engine running, but not for long and I now seem to have lost the spark.

Anyone know much about the Magneto please?

I believe it is an RS1 Lucas.
Nicknamed the Hovis top???

Is the bracket on the 'live' end of the condenser supposed to be attached to anything?
It appears to be a folded bracket that then goes down inside in-between the coil and the mag body. Looks like it has snapped off by a small nut that is tucked a little way down inside, behind the points which are in a different chamber.

The Tab end/fixing of the condenser was screwed to the Mag body, when I unscrewed it, the whole condenser unit was loose and only held by the coil wire connection.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help :)

Thob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 09:36:53 PM »
Andy,

Welcome to the forum.  Yes, the case of the condenser must be connected to a good ground.  You probably won't get much spark without that, and it will probably burn the points if you do get enough spark for it to run.  So you'll probably need to file the points, re-gap them, and fit a new condenser.

Remember that the forum is used world-wide, and many of us in the United States are geographically challenged.  So you could tell us what country you're in it would help us out...
Witte 98RC Gas burner - Kubota D600 w/ST7.5KW head.
I'm not afraid to take anything apart.
I am sometimes afraid I'm not going to get it back together.

AndysOldEngine

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 11:51:47 AM »
Thanks for your reply :)

Yep, I'm in Somerset in the UK.

And yes, the casing of the condenser was grounded to the case of the Magneto body. secured by its locating tab by a small screw.

Its the other end of the condenser that is wired to the coil and also held by another bracket by means of a small nut, the bracket seems to disappear down inside the mag body alongside the mag coil.

I'm thinking it is magneto type specific, but not sure as i'm new to this type of engine and magneto.

I'll try and get a pic sorted.

Andy,

Welcome to the forum.  Yes, the case of the condenser must be connected to a good ground.  You probably won't get much spark without that, and it will probably burn the points if you do get enough spark for it to run.  So you'll probably need to file the points, re-gap them, and fit a new condenser.

Remember that the forum is used world-wide, and many of us in the United States are geographically challenged.  So you could tell us what country you're in it would help us out...