Author Topic: can a Lister D be dated from seial number  (Read 1526 times)

startinghandle

• View Profile
can a Lister D be dated from seial number
« on: October 09, 2017, 01:52:17 PM »
i have a Lister D bought by my late father new 60 years ago and it did come fitted with vacuum pump and was used for milking until we moved  in November 1962 then it was used for pumping water until 1974 when an electric pump was fitted .the engine has been in the same place bolted to the flour but we will be moving soon and I do not want to sell the engine as it is one family owner, I remember trying to start it in 1982 but when I was swinging it after a few turns there was no compression and that's how it still is now also I would like to know can it be dated

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: can a Lister D be dated from seial number
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 08:10:49 AM »
Yep, it can indeed...

Assuming it's a pre-1952 engine, this page will contain the information you need. Look at the "D" column, read down until the serial number in the cell is bigger than your serial no; your engine was made in the previous year.

If it's a post-52 engine, it'll have a serial number along the lines of XXX D1 NN (with, possibly, some other letters before/after the NN). The "NN" bit is the year of manufacture - 50. e.g. "07" = 1957, 27 = 1977, and so on.

Sometime in the late 1970s I believe they changed the serial number style again, but kept the 2-digit year code.
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.