Author Topic: Original Lister CS w/ tanks - Diesel 6HP 650RPM Year 1939 - For SALE  (Read 1071 times)

amsimoes

• View Profile
Re: Original Lister CS w/ tanks - Diesel 6HP 650RPM Year 1939 - For SALE
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2017, 08:17:35 PM »
Meanwhile, I've received another 1500$ offer on my eBay listing.

So I take it you are going to knock that back as well?

I'm talking with the interested person, which is from Switzerland.
The offer is 1500$ plus the shipping price paid by the buyer.

I've also got a lower offer of $1000 from Dominican Republic

millman56

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2017, 06:17:11 AM »
Hi Amsimoes,

Your`e doing the right thing,   using the greedy Ebay   (in the UK they operate from a tax haven)  platform as an advertising medium,   with this method you should filter out the many bidding idiots out there to whom buying and not completing is a sport.   

I`ve given up replying to the opinionated people who wish to remind me that there`s one in Kazakistan, Nigeria, next door et al,  cheaper than the item I`m selling,   the reason they don`t take their money and unasked for opinion where its needed, is because talk is cheap.

That`s my little self opinionated rant over and good luck with the sale.

Mark.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2017, 09:15:31 AM »
Hi Amsimoes,

Your`e doing the right thing,   using the greedy Ebay   (in the UK they operate from a tax haven)  platform as an advertising medium,   with this method you should filter out the many bidding idiots out there to whom buying and not completing is a sport.   

The downfall would be though that he's not taking bids but rather trying to sell the thing outright therefore bypassing the bidding system. Taking offers makes it no different to putting the thing in the local paper and seeing what response you get.

I`ve given up replying to the opinionated people who wish to remind me that there`s one in Kazakistan, Nigeria, next door et al,  cheaper than the item I`m selling,   the reason they don`t take their money and unasked for opinion where its needed, is because talk is cheap.

I get that, as in I get it all the time selling things particularly for my father in the motor game. There is always a part cheaper somewhere else on Fleabay, usually far away.  My response is rather than to try and negotiate price is to basically concede defeat and take it as they don't want the part I'm offering.
You get some classic looks when you just stand there a bit and look at them before finally asking, " Was there anything else I can help you with today? ".

When they come back to the price of the part, I simply say I thought you were going to get the cheaper ebay one? Then they will ask if you can do anything about the price of the one you have and a deadpan look in the eye with a simple " no" puts them on the back foot.
inevitably the ones that will try and lowball you the most are the ones after the fastest moving, hardest to get parts that fly off the shelves as fast as you put them on there.
Being many of these twits are serial lowballers, I automatically jack the prices substantially when I see them pull up. When they ask for a better price, sure, I'll give you 33% off the 50% I just added to the thing.

The BEST part of all about it is when my Dad says to me " You are never going to do any good with this guy, don't waste your time" and I sell him the bit and more above what the std price was.
It's a game. Dad takes it too seriously. I tell him not my money on the line, it's his but I get away with it every time because Sales, marketing and advertising  are the best life skills a person can have these days and I use them to the best of my considerable knowledge in the fields.

OTHO though, there are the sellers whom are dreamers.
They think they should get back every sent they spent on something like a car when they sell it on top of the original price.  They will bring in some total POS and then tell you the immortal words " it's a good car"! You can stop them in their tracks each and every time by " simply asking " Can you point out the good bits for me?? or  What's good about it??"   They will inevitably point out some insignificant thing where you can say " That's worth $50, show me what else makes the thing worth what you want?". I have literally had a new fan belt, new brake pads or 1 new Tyre pointed out to me as justification of a vehicles gross overpricing.  I'm patient, I ask if they are serious? My father just shakes his head, walks off and leaves them standing there. Amazing how long they will stand there too before they either get the hint or even more entertaining, follow him and ask something brilliant like " well are you interested in it then?"

The best ones are the ones you offer them $500 ( which is what they are worth) when they want $5k.  they will puff and blow and tell you how you are a rip off or it's worth more than that. You will then see the thing on the side of the road or on the net for a couple of weeks to months and then they turn up again asking for the $500 that they carried on was such an insult before. Of course the thing is now worth less because inevitably it's out of rego or has days to go.

Many will ask " what's it worth?". Don't play that game.  We tell them YOU tell me what you want for it and I'll say yes or no. Not stuffing around giving you a price you'll inevitably be unhappy with and then want to negotiate.  Name your price and I'll say yes or no can you can either take it home with you or take the money.

Others think because something is sentimental or old or other concocted  fantasy, it's worth the price they dream up. You can ask on what do they base their value and they either won't be able to tell you or say something idiotic like it's sentimental or that's what I think it's worth or something else that has no substantiation whatsoever other than their over the top wishful thinking. 

They just waste peoples time asking for prices that no one is going to pay and moreso, if the shoe was on the other foot, they wouldn't pay themselves!!

Unless you are dealing in fine art and antiques etc, most things have a market value.  One may think they are clever asking stupid prices but they are just frigging around and wasting peoples time.
I have no problem admitting I have made it a sport to play these people.  I buy a lot of stuff online and get sick to death of people asking for offers only to knock back the viable price you offer and then come back with something freaking stupid. It's taking the piss and I don't like to be treated like an idiot.
Did it Sunday night to a guy selling a yard Vac.  Price on the non working machine was "Negotiable".  Made him an offer of $100 as I have a replacement engine in the shed and want one of these things. He came back saying he wouldn't let it go under $500 because it was in good condition. How the fk can it be in good condition if the damn thing does not work? If it's so good, why aren't you keeping it?.... Apaert from the fact it is useless in it's present " good" condition?
 The new price of the current model of this machine is a bit over $700 and his is 8 years old.  I got back to the guy saying OK, thanks for that, when can I pick it up?  He has been messaging me 2-3 times a day asking when I want to come get it.
Stuff him, you want to waste my time, see how you like someone wasting yours. Maybe the penny will drop and he'll be a bit more reasonable next time he wants to offload something.

Another one is a tractor I am looking for.  NO, yours is not worth $26K when it has 400 hours on it when I can buy the current, 2 models updated version with the same loader/ backhoe etc for $28K brand new with 3 year warranty! Do you not see that every other one advertised with the same hours is going for 15-16K and some of them are newer than yours?
 WTF is the matter with these people? Sentimental value is worth ZERO in the market. You are not going to get double the value of the same item anywhere else because you like the one you have. It's worth what it's worth and that's it.

Just as there are idiots who low ball with what they want to buy, there are the equally stupid and time wasting gits who highball with stupid expectations on what they want to sell.
I have no sympathy or tolerance for either.

Now THAT is a rant!!    :laugh:

Wonder if the OP took the $1500 he was offered the second time or knocked that back too?

millman56

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2017, 07:30:59 PM »
Phew !!!!!!!

LowGear

• Casey
  • From now on! If it ain't diesel - I aint goin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2017, 02:33:22 PM »
What'd he say?
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2017, 11:52:15 PM »
What'd he say?

I guess I'll have to be more PC in future posts and remember the minorities and those with reading disabilities.  Figuring out how to make every post 2 lines or less so as not to overload reading and comprehension skills of the literary challenged could be difficult though. I'll have a crack at it none the less.

I taught my kids to read magazines before they went to school. I can see that was not over the top or time wasted!

Probably best you just skip to something else instead!   :laugh:

mikenash

• View Profile

glort

• View Profile

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2017, 04:57:29 PM »
No.  I'm not interested in your views on people who are different to you, or on politics, or on philosophy, or on government.  I only read the bits relating to diesel or solar - even then I skim through the polemic to find the substantial.

Interesting insights into solar performance in low-light situations, though

amsimoes

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2017, 11:26:10 PM »
Hey guys!!!

Haha please didn't intend to make anyone mad with this  ;D
That was quite a write-up, will try to read all that rant!

As I told earlier I'm mediating this for a close friend, and he just told me some days ago that the Cooling Tank got sold during the Summer.

The Lister engine model I'm selling, 5-1, is the Tank cooled model, not the Radiator cooled model. The tank is much bigger than the radiator.
It might change things for someone interested, but for others might not.

I'm dealing now with an interested buyer from Kansas, Missouri, which was only interested in the engine + Fuel Tank from the beginning, as to him the cooling tank would take much space and shipping cost would be too expensive.

The value we're dealing is over $2000.
I think I'll open a topic elsewhere asking if someone has any recommendation on a international shipping company, that would pickup in Portugal.

We're we have DHL, TNT and the rest are local companies I think...

Have a great weekend everyone, with, or without, rants  8)

LowGear

• Casey
  • From now on! If it ain't diesel - I aint goin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2017, 05:57:03 PM »
I seriously doubt if anyone on this forum really gives a hoot about political correctness.  Yes, it's small diesel engines and energy generation / conservation voiced by practicing people that makes it part of my morning ritual.  A little hopes and needs are interesting when they're fresh but the same old crap droning on into the sunset makes me quickly long for the end of the message.  Skim, I wish I were so sophisticated or patient.

So did we get the not $1500 engine sold?

Casey

NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2017, 06:17:49 AM »

I see the engine is STILL for sale.    ::)