Author Topic: that Chinese coupler  (Read 191 times)

32 coupe

• "Doc Johnson" on call !
    • View Profile
that Chinese coupler
« on: September 30, 2017, 10:30:52 PM »

When I acquired my changfa engine and st head a number of years ago, a direct drive coupler
was available

The said coupler has a series of o rings stacked on a set of pins that act as a bushing in a
matching drilled faceplate.

The original rubber o rings lasted for a time and needed replacement . I fabricated a set of
new ones from a 1/4" rubber sheet I had about and they lasted about 50 hrs or so.

I bought some delrin and am considering cutting some "bushings" from this material.

Any one else use this coupler and have any experience/input ?

Metro 6/1 turning a ST 7.5 KW gen head
Changfa 1115 turning a ST 15 KW gen head
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"

glort

• View Profile
Re: that Chinese coupler
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 02:51:01 AM »

Don't have any experience with the couplers but I seem to recall something I saw on the net some years ago about what may have been a similar coupler.
It was being used in one of those places where they make do a lot due to lack of money and parts. The had cut the rubber inserts from old tyres.
Don't know well they lasted but the material would certainly be tough enough to think it should have been a good long time.

I Imagine you'd have to drill through the steel belts but that shouldn't be a problem.

I also saw a coupler made from 3 strips of tyre. Plates were drilled 120o and the strips went from one plate to the other bent in half and bolted through the holes.  Would have provided huge amounts of misalignment tolerance and the gap between the shafts looked about 6" and probably created a decent breeze whirling round as as well.
I remember that as seeming a pretty neat way of doing the job.

vdubnut62

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 04:04:08 AM »
I think MobilBob talked about these several years ago.  I could be completely wrong . Anyway the gist of the conversation was that the Chinese couplers were a pretty short lived solution. a lovejoy is much better.
  I used the coupler from a Mercedes driveshaft, no problems so far!
Ron
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."   Plato.

The fine art of B.S. is not found in what is said, but in its plausibility.

32 coupe

• "Doc Johnson" on call !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 04:56:48 PM »
here is a picture to give a better idea

Metro 6/1 turning a ST 7.5 KW gen head
Changfa 1115 turning a ST 15 KW gen head
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 07:17:14 PM »
I'd measure ID and OD, and look for some reinforced rubber hose that would fit.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 11:48:19 AM »
 I read enough bad prior to building my set that I avoided them and went with belt drive at 1 to 1. Your experience is matching about everyone else's. That being said Chinese rubber is mostly junk in my experience. Were I wanting to repair one I would check Lovejoy's web site and find out what material they use in their severe duty elements  and then check McMaster Carr or Ebay for some stock andmake up a set,, and a set of spares. 

I know,not much help,,,
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

xyzer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 03:04:10 PM »
Most couplings life is dependent on alignment, and material quality. They are great because they work for awhile when not aligned. I would spend some time get it aligned the best you can then maybe use some hard plastic tubing or rubber. Cut a set of spares while you're at it.
Dave
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA