Puppeteer

Author Topic: Hello from new member  (Read 4348 times)

Willw

• View Profile
Hello from new member
« on: September 27, 2017, 06:47:32 PM »
Hello all, long time lurker and diesel engine fanatic here, situated in the Cayman Islands. Here are a few pictures of my current 6/1 Clone ST generator project. The disassembly, cleaning and balancing are done, many thanks to the members on this great forum. The engine and generator have been test run for about 1/2 hour with load but I still have a few minor bugs to work out. A video is soon to come.
Daily driver '97 GMC W4 tipper on WVO/Kerosene mix.
6/1 clone standby generator.
Too many projects.

BruceM

• View Profile
Re: Hello from new member
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 09:20:06 PM »
Nice raised concrete base Willw!  Welcome!

Good work on the "do it once, do it right" program in going over your engine. The only way to go for an engine you're counting on for reliability.

I agree that 38ac's guide is a marvelous help. His cam/idler timing check video alone is a huge time saver.  Even though I had done one before, I tried his approaches on valve timing and balancing...again, made me a convert.  He makes things both better and easier, hard to beat that!

Best Wishes and happy CS'ing.
Bruce

Samo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 09:28:01 PM »
Welcome Will!

With the size of the hurricanes you guys get in your part of the world you're on the right track with your power options. Good luck with getting everything running sweetly.

BTW how are things after Hurricane Irma, I heard parts of the Cayman were hit pretty hard?

Samo
Lister CS 12/2 & JKSON 10/1 Listeroid

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 09:51:43 PM »
Again welcome. Also like the engine up off the floor. Makes starting so much easier and service work handier also.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

Willw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 03:51:05 AM »
Gentlemen, thank you for the warm welcome and compliments. If I did anything right it is a credit to the members on this forum because I followed your advice and examples :).
Regarding Irma, we had some wind and rain but nothing catastrophic. However I was in Houston visiting my doctor that week, and in fact due to leave on the 26th, the day that Irma hit.
I saw the weather forecast and started making other arrangements, and my alternate flight left Houston at midday on the 25th.
When I saw the aftermath on the news I decided that it was time to finish this project, so here we are.
I agree that 38AC is a real asset to the forum; I have used several of his tips as well as the Utterpower CD to help me get this far. I intend to try his valve adjustment method in the near future as well ;).
Too many projects.

Samo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 01:46:28 PM »
Hi Will,
good that you didn't cop too much from Irma and I can fully understand why you'd want to be prepared. Seems these huge hurricanes are becoming more regular in your part of the world. Please keep us updated on your progress.

Cheers,
Samo
Lister CS 12/2 & JKSON 10/1 Listeroid

Apogee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 11:27:11 PM »
Welcome Will,

Nice install!!!!

Hopefully you folks will not be visited by the likes of Irma anytime soon.  That being said, being prepared is prudent imho.

Kind regards,

Steve

Willw

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 01:49:06 PM »
My apologies, I left Houston just prior to Harvey, not Irma. I got mixed up with the names  :-[  . The rest of my post is accurate.
Too many projects.

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 05:24:20 PM »
Nice work Will,

Welcome to the forum, don't forget to post up now and gain with what ever you get up to with your CS, in fact post about anything that you think might be interesting......

Cheers Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

vdubnut62

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2017, 01:29:56 AM »
Welcome!!
Ron.
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."   Plato.

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2017, 01:34:55 AM »
Welcome to the forum Will. Glad you are here!

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

Willw

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2018, 03:07:27 AM »
Hello guys, I ran her for about an hour with a light load tonight. I have turned both the engine and the slab around in order to get the gen on the "dry" side of the engine, away from the water hoses. I still have to finalize the injection timing and optimize the valve timing per 38AC's method. My Tachometer is telling me that my engine is only turning about 525 RPM so I am down on power. I have a bigger pulley that I will try. All comments are welcome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUy_Zgme0N0&feature=youtu.be
Too many projects.

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2018, 03:34:36 AM »
Sounds pretty good to me. Nice looking setup.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2018, 11:47:38 AM »
That is a nice installation and the engine sounds good for what can be told in a video.

Getting the valve events correct at overlap will usually yield a nice improvement in over all operation. If you try it be certain to observe a minimum lash. I use .008 for that but that number is kinda arbitrary.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel