Author Topic: Governor gear wheel weights  (Read 3719 times)

basewindow

• View Profile
Governor gear wheel weights
« on: September 25, 2017, 04:25:10 AM »
Hi to all and greeting from Vic Australia.

Got myself a Lister CS 3.5hp Diesel the other day. Pretty poor condition but hopefully bringing it back to life.

Had to replace Governor wheel gear as it had broken (my fault and don’t ask). I ordered a Listeroid one from a local person here as a replacement along with weights etc. I was able to salvage the old weights and pins etc.

When I went to assemble the gear and weights I noticed that the new weights were a different size (smaller) and presumably different weights. I believe the ‘new’ weights were for a Listeroid 6/1. Guessing the originals are different for a reason being a 3.5hp and I should use them as they fit?

Have it stripped down apart from one flywheel, which just happens to be the side I need to get the cam shaft out, that gib key just wont move….just time and patience I guess.

I’m sure I’ll have plenty more questions once I start the reassemble.

Cheers,

Cam.
1953 CS Lister 3.5hp, 1938? Bamford SD1 3.5hp, 1962 Fordson Super Dexta, 1969 International 434.

Samo

• View Profile
Re: Governor gear wheel weights
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 08:22:22 AM »
Gday Cam,

What sort of Gib key puller are you using? Originally I used a tapered wedge, but I've not looked back since I bought a proper Gib key puller. It's not failed me yet, even with the Lister I bought that sat in paddock for 30years....

Samo
Lister CS 12/2 & JKSON 10/1 Listeroid

basewindow

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 02:03:14 AM »
Just a home made job from 1/4 inch cast with nuts and bolts, which unsurprisingly broke. May have to invest in a genuine one if I can find one.
1953 CS Lister 3.5hp, 1938? Bamford SD1 3.5hp, 1962 Fordson Super Dexta, 1969 International 434.

Samo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 08:46:29 AM »
Seeing your in Aus, look up Rob at old timer engines. I normally use him when I can because he's pretty prompt & reliable:

https://www.oldtimerengines.com.au/lister-engine-parts/lister-cs/crankshaft-parts/

cheers
John

basewindow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 04:28:31 AM »
Thanks for the link.

Anyone have any clues with the governor gear weights?  Use originals?

xyzer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 05:42:40 AM »
If it were mine I would keep things as original as possible. I believe the weight of the weights would affect the response to the RPM change and it's ability to manage the load. Not sure but using the original weights would keep it simple if they slip in place.
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA

starfire

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 05:46:35 AM »
Theoretically, heavier governor weights would make the speed correction more sensitive, with generating service, an advantage.I was unaware that the weights differed. The most that would need to change would be a heavier  governor spring tension, as they would offset more at lower RPMs. They rotate at camshaft speed, this is the same speed in all engines, so the end result would be the same.
That would be my take on this.

basewindow

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 09:10:12 AM »
Thanks all. The original weights fit, so ill use them as see how it all goes once its back in one piece.

basewindow

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2017, 09:42:32 AM »
Well i finally invested in that puller from the link you sent. 15 minutes later the key was out. Thumbs up for the right tool for the job! Flywheel came of reasonable easily as well. Camshaft out and new gear wheel fitted.
Just a quick question.
The govenor sleeve where wheel weights fits has a small shaft across it. On mine this is very worn, almost to the point of breaking. What does this actually do and what will happen if it breaks?
cheers,
Cam.

Part No. 9 on the manual diagram.

Samo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2017, 04:23:00 AM »
Hi Cam,

I would replace those pins.... one of my 12/2 posts show my Cam gear wheel missing teeth and I'm lucky the whole wheel didn't shatter. You don't want split pins, separating pin, or any part of the governor mechanism floating in your crankcase, only bad things can happen...  That pin stops the sleeve rotating, not sure why, but I'm sure someone on the forum can enlighten us to the reason.

On mine the governor shafts are very worn and this will impact the governor response. I have them out, and the wear pattern is most unusual. They're not going back in....

Samo

old bob

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2017, 01:58:10 PM »
On the point of the governor sleeve, the sleeve has two annular rings, the inner ring has the cam weights sitting in it , the second outer ring would therefor have the roller part of the governor inside lever fitted, so can someone explain how when removing the governor end of the camshaft cover the governor inside lever is detached from the sleeve ring it is sitting in, and subsequently when refitting the cam end cover how would you place the inner lever roller into the sleeve groove, as the cover is mounted on studs it can only move in or out and not sideways, or if I am missing something please tell me1

Bob

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2017, 01:42:03 PM »
When removing the cover you simply remove the three cap screws and pull it off.  When installing it first pull the shaft collar all the way out. Hint,  if you turn the camshaft so the weights are sideways the collar will stay where you place it. Then turn the lever so the roller is in. You can see the engagement as you slide the cover inward,  turn the lever to maintain alignment as you slide the cover inward. When you can no longer see what's going on it cannot get wrong from there on in.  Afterwards double check your work by moving the lever and watching the weights.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2017, 10:35:43 PM »
I know that Butch!

It took me a lot longer to work it out than it did for you to type it tho', a whole lot longer!!

Cheers Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.