Puppeteer

Author Topic: down here at the bottom of the world . . . .  (Read 5276 times)

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
Re: down here at the bottom of the world . . . .
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2017, 11:51:33 AM »
Are these a viable thing to use on a daily basis? I know nothing about them, but they all seem capable to run on kerosene, and modern diesel seems pretty close to kero. They are likely more greedy on fuel with pumping losses,  but maybe they are an option? Quieter mechanically too  than a diesel......

I bring home waste jet fuel from the airport which is Kerosene. In fact, that's all I ever use. I've never used diesel fuel. I sent fuel out for some testing years ago when I first started this project. The Jet A has an HFRR (high frequency reciprocating rig) (fuel lubricity tester, lower number is better) of about 650, not good. Add in TCW-III outboard engine two stroke oil at 200 to 1 and the HFRR numbers fall into the "acceptable" range. Mix at 100 to 1, and add in some Stanadyne lubricity additive and HFRR numers fall to 255, well into the excellent range. 450 or better is required.

Note: The HFRR equipment is a mechanical testing unit that uses the fuel being tested to lubricate a strip of metal. If the "wear scar" is large, the fuel is a very poor lubricant. Hence "lower is better" .
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence