Puppeteer

Author Topic: down here at the bottom of the world . . . .  (Read 5344 times)

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
Re: down here at the bottom of the world . . . .
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 10:02:13 PM »
My only consolation is that they are not giving them away. Unless the NZD is .25 cents on the USD.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

starfire

• View Profile
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 12:43:45 AM by starfire »

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 02:33:51 AM »
Yeah, I saw that one

I'd only really buy another 5 or 6 HP I think - there's a local guy here with a paddock-full of old ("D" maybe?) petrol ones he's going to have trouble giving away . . . .

Did you see this:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/business-farming-industry/industrial/engines-motors/petrol/auction-1421072338.htm

I'd like a diesel one of them

Cheers

starfire

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 03:53:16 AM »
Are these a viable thing to use on a daily basis? I know nothing about them, but they all seem capable to run on kerosene, and modern diesel seems pretty close to kero. They are likely more greedy on fuel with pumping losses,  but maybe they are an option? Quieter mechanically too  than a diesel......

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 08:57:11 AM »
Kero isn't a lubricant like Diesel is, so whilst the engines will cheerfully run on Kero, you have to add & mix in some oil to keep your fuel pump lubricated. Also I believe (and I could well be wrong here, so if anyone knows better please correct me), that oil won't stay mixed in kero, it tends to "fall out", much like it does if mixed with water, so you have to stir the barrel regularly, or you'll end up running on either neat oil or neat kero, neither of which is ideal...
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 11:03:45 AM »
Are these a viable thing to use on a daily basis? I know nothing about them, but they all seem capable to run on kerosene, and modern diesel seems pretty close to kero. They are likely more greedy on fuel with pumping losses,  but maybe they are an option? Quieter mechanically too  than a diesel......

There was one at a Central HB show a while back which was almost silent.  Most impressive

starfire

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 11:16:57 AM »
Did we get this one?

https://www.trademe.co.nz/business-farming-industry/industrial/engines-motors/diesel/auction-1418179208.htm

and this oddball

https://www.trademe.co.nz/business-farming-industry/industrial/generators-power-supply/diesel/auction-1421998160.htm

That one is interesting, its hooked up to the identical alternator that I have, but the pulley ratio looks to be 1.2:1, meaning that engine is hitting probably over 3000 RPM for 50 Hz, the noise would drive you nuts.....
 WAAAAAYYYY  too expensive.....
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 11:30:30 AM by starfire »

starfire

• View Profile

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 04:10:19 AM »
Did we get this one?

https://www.trademe.co.nz/business-farming-industry/industrial/engines-motors/diesel/auction-1418179208.htm

and this oddball

https://www.trademe.co.nz/business-farming-industry/industrial/generators-power-supply/diesel/auction-1421998160.htm

That one is interesting, its hooked up to the identical alternator that I have, but the pulley ratio looks to be 1.2:1, meaning that engine is hitting probably over 3000 RPM for 50 Hz, the noise would drive you nuts.....
 WAAAAAYYYY  too expensive.....

We have those engines here at work driving remote-location water pumps.  I'd describe them as noisy and revvy compared with the gentle CSs.

I think that harsh noise is a function of air-cooled engines too?

There's a chap up the road from me selling a "rebuilt" 3/1 that he wants lots for.  His granddad spent a chunk of money getting it rebuilt 20 years ago and it has been in the shed since (familiar story) I told him it is a $300 or $400 engine and he thinks I'm trying to rip him off.  I'll watch with interest what happens when he lists it

Cheers

starfire

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2017, 12:40:42 PM »
Air cooled anything, diesel/2 stroke motorbike engines all are noisy, the  cooling fins act as resonators. Water jackets insulate most noises, so  yes, you are right.
People who own these old engines seem to go one of two ways, they either think its worth millions cause its old and theirs is probably the only one left in the universe , or because its  old and rusty, its   maybe worth something as scrap, or parts.
The real value generally lays somewhere in between.
I know how astonished I was when I found these forums on the  internet, as i never knew how popular and widespread these antiques were, and  being still used every day, for 30 odd years i thought i was the only one....
For what its worth, recently have played with a Nissan TD27 4 cylinder Terano engine. .... 1996ish. 
These are old school engineering and quite happily  burn old engine oil as fuel, so its not just a Lister thing.
They arent as clean burning, unsure what the combustion chamber design is in those engines either, just thought to try it.
These and similar engines are very cheap to buy, and are possibly a realistic and economic alternative where function takes precedence over old.  Using these would certainly cure light flicker.......
Point of note, the oil pump outlet is passed through a labyrinth through the water jacket integral with the block, an integrated oil cooler.... thought that was very clever.
If my antiques die before I do, this "modern" engine will be the way I will go.

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2017, 05:24:48 PM »

If my antiques die before I do, this "modern" engine will be the way I will go.

Hey Starfire - did you see this in Nelson.  He has listed several times and drops the price?  Be a good "backup" for you and almost local lol''

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=1434704466&member_hash=a3a7566550fad4bdc4224f94f4401662016de7c29f5cc5555c&tm=email&et=46&mt=3CD2EA5F-6EC8-4299-AE88-E417DDE97A03

TradeMe listing Listing #: 1434704466

Cheers

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2017, 05:28:01 PM »

Sorry Starfire - I know you have seen this, what I MEANT to say is he keeps re-listing it and has now taken the trouble to get it to run and wants it out of his shed - wouldn't take much to maybe get him to drop the price. Cheers

starfire

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2017, 08:57:24 PM »
yes, i keep tabs on this.... its a 4 hour drive 1 way from here, so getting a tad expensive still......  The last one I paid $300 delivered....
In reality, I have enough engines and backups to see me out.... but something makes me want more... bit like an eating disorder... or a heroin addiction....we are all sick and afflicted.
Hello, my name is Bob, and im a Lister addict..... suitable rounds of applause...

starfire

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2017, 10:11:14 AM »