Author Topic: Rocketboy and Cujet Hurricane Irma commentary  (Read 8167 times)

SHIPCHIEF

• View Profile
Rocketboy and Cujet Hurricane Irma commentary
« on: September 07, 2017, 05:19:29 PM »
Hurricane Irma is upon Florida in a few days.
Our prayers go out to them.
Rocketboy and Cujet have survived 3 hurricanes with Listeroid generators a-thumpin'
Perhaps they will think of this forum and check in again?
Ashwamegh 25/2 & ST12
Lister SR2 10Kw 'Long Edurance' genset on a 10 gallon sump/skid,
Onan 6.5NH in an old Jeager Compressor trailer and a few CCK's

32 coupe

• "Doc Johnson" on call !
    • View Profile
Re: Rocketboy and Cujet Hurricane Irma commentary
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 09:46:09 PM »

I am a few miles north of them and am certainly concerned for my safety.
I will be staying in my shop with the wife and 2 dogs. We rode one out last
year but it was nothing compared to this storm.

I haven't used my Listeroids for anything but testing but that noisey
old Changfa has never let me down yet !

Stay safe,
Gary

Metro 6/1 turning a ST 7.5 KW gen head
Changfa 1115 turning a ST 15 KW gen head
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 09:49:14 PM »
Best of luck guys! Stay safe!

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

Apogee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 11:04:08 PM »
Irma got me thinking of this site and the folks down in that area.  I miss the Lister stuff and haven't checked in a long time.  Life has just been in the way...

Hang in there you guys!

Good luck and stay safe...

BE SMART AND DON'T TAKE ANY CHANCES!

Steve
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 11:09:04 PM by Apogee »

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 04:37:42 AM »
6/1's are great to use as a lifeline anchor, they are not going anywhere.  Not sure that a surge wave will do much to move one either.

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 03:49:17 PM »
Joan and I were looking for a different place from the Seattle, Washington area back in '93 so we headed for Florida and the Keys.  We weren't out of the airport an hour and ran into a bunch of square block mountains of rubbish collected from Andrew's path.   Wow!

It instantly became a nice vacation without any property search considerations what so ever.

Good luck.
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

32 coupe

• "Doc Johnson" on call !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2017, 08:00:58 PM »

another rant by glort.......really ??
i should be so lucky, I should live so long...

Metro 6/1 turning a ST 7.5 KW gen head
Changfa 1115 turning a ST 15 KW gen head
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"

starfire

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2017, 02:31:35 AM »
Glort, I dont understand how anyone  could be prepared for 150 mph winds and massive flooding  when living in any US town or city. With people forced into city living, any possibility of self reliance  is  simply not there. Living the way we do down under, yes, we can provide for ourselves in an almost unlimited way..... hell, i dont even bother with insurance.
The scale of these hurricanes are beyond comprehension.  I am pretty sure people in Florida will likely need more than an off grid Lister and a vege garden to survive this without worry. Basically they have nothing but a  pessimistic reliance on a government, which sadly has not a good record in  past hurricane events..... Katrina as but one example.
Compounded with looting and opportunistic crime, its all pretty hopeless.... they  are not only at the mercy of nature.
Good luck to everyone up there, youre gunna need it by the looks.
My heart really goes out to Cuba, they are even less capable of fixing the damage and sadly cannot rely on help from their neighbour to the north for much of anything.

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2017, 02:34:34 AM »
I wish I could read that long.  What was the second half about?
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2017, 05:02:12 PM »

What I really don't get with people whom live in these storm ravaged areas that seem to get hit every year, often multiple times is firstly, why the hell they are there in the first place, and secondly, being their choice, why so few are really prepared?
It may have been something I read on rocket boys site about his lister where he spoke of demanding neighbors wanting his power after another storm took the grid out but had no generators of their own. In such circumstances I would not at all be charitable.   

They will probably look at people like Rocket and Cujet sitting round with the lights on, watching TV eating a hot meal and talk of them like they are privileged and express resentment towards them. The fact they could be in the same position themselves will be lost on them or ignored and they will blame someone else for not being as "lucky" or well off.

They sure as hell wouldn't want to come bitching and whingeing and expecting my help that would be for sure.
If you can't be bothered to look after yourself, you sure as shit would not want to come asking me to look after you.

I love the freedom of Florida. I moved here in 1983, sick and tired of the utter lack of freedom in CT and NY. The beaurocratic restrictions, the "you can't do that" attitude and so on. At 19 years old, I was working for a company testing outboard racing engines and a race car company that did some development for Ford. Both businesses were being actively attacked by local bureaucrats. To say they were "anti" industrial business was an understatement. If you were not "white collar" you were "pushed out". Even today, Connecticut is littered with closed factories.

I visited Daytona Beach for vacation and fell in love. People were driving dune buggies on the beach, flying airplanes all over the state! People shot guns in the local sand pit, People had loud side exhausts on their pickup trucks, people rode dirt bikes with tags miles into the woods for a day's fun exploring. People were not charged personal property tax, state income tax, emissions and vehicle testing, $20,000 real estate taxes and people could actually afford a nice place to live.

It was the opposite of Connecticut, where you had 2 recreational choices. Sailing a sailboat in the sometimes filthy Long Island Sound, or Golf. Anybody that loves motorsports found Connecticut utterly restrictive. Not to mention stunningly unaffordable. 

Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University epitomized the "Florida Freedom" thing. Tuition back then was an absolute bargain, and opportunity was everywhere.

I don't know where you live, but it sounds really nice. Want a new neighbor?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 05:22:44 PM by cujet »
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2017, 05:35:45 PM »
I made a very nice life for myself and family, on a very modest income. And outdoor activities are possible year round. There is no time of the year where I'm grounded due to wing icing or prevailing poor weather.

I'll take the hurricanes, and the freedom. I can't stomach CA, NY, CT, MA etc. The controlling liberals infuriate me.
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence

Thomas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2017, 10:26:02 PM »
[/quote

nothing

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2017, 07:53:14 AM »
[/quote

nothing

Your comment reminds me:  Down here at the Bottom of the World in the Island nearest to Australia we have two cultures, Maori and European (universally referred to as Pakeha).  Pomposity & pointless verbosity isn't limited to Pakeha politicians

A while back I attended a function on a Marae  (traditional Maori venue) where there was a fair bit of speechifying to-and-fro

One young Maori man stood up on the paepae (the speaking area) and spoke at considerable length.

It was clear that in his own mind he cut an impressive figure with his tattoos, his suit, his XXXXL whalebone pendant, his ornately carved walking stick and his extroverted style of oratory.

He strode manfully back and forth across the paepae, speaking in Maori, waving his stick, shaking his fine head of hair  and punctuating his speech with fierce facial expressions.

Eventually he sat down.

A little girl, aged maybe six, who had sat listening politely but uncomprehendingly to this lengthy oration turned to her grandmother, a dignified older Maori lady with a genuine tattooed chin - we would call her, respectfully, a Kuia.

The little girl asked "What did the man say, Grandma?"

"Nothing" she replied . . . .

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2017, 04:45:05 PM »
So what was it like for you?  Did you need your generators?
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

starfire

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2017, 02:00:12 AM »
I must admit to having a wee chuckle while watching some US hurricane live news channel interviewing this really fat sheila. She was only  concerned about impending food shortages.despite already stocking up beforehand...... I dont actually think even a week without food would kill her, and in her case  would surely be beneficial.?  Theres always a funny side.
Good insight too with watching american advertisements. 
These medications are right for you  ads with the mandatory 30 seconds explaining some pretty awful side effects,
Finance companies offering even more debt with a young "successful "smiling chickie babe actor who obviously will do anything for money and the leggy fake titted bimbo weather presenters  pretending to have a degree in meteorology.
Many of the male reporters look to rate a good 9.5 on the sphincter scale as well.
Im sure im cherry picking, but interesting non the less.
 Now we have a waist deep reporter saying how troubling and dangerous  it is to see residents wading in waist deep water...... CNN.