Author Topic: Lister SR2 'Long Run' surplus genset being revived  (Read 3375 times)

SHIPCHIEF

• View Profile
Lister SR2 'Long Run' surplus genset being revived
« on: September 02, 2017, 05:01:42 AM »
I've owned this SR2 genset for many years, purchased during the Listeroid craze around 2007-or-8.
It was placed in the back yard, next to the old hot tub power connection box so I could back feed the house when the power goes out.
I still have the 25/2 Listeroid w/ST head in the garage, and it was used during the few and brief power outages over the ensuing years.
The SR2 and the Onan CCK 5.0 just sat.
A couple of years ago I sort of noticed the SR2 again, and decided to move it to my country property where the power does go out in the winter. Unfortunately it was stuck. I tore it down, one cylinder had rusted due to an open exhaust valve. So I ordered a cylinder kit, gaskets and a book from Gary @ D.E.S. He did not have rod bearings in stock at the time.
Come forward a couple of years...Oh Yeah? I better make sure the crank pins are not rusted, and check the Lister engine forum!
Fresh rod bearings from Gary, all the new parts installed, compression height set....What's all this sheet metal for?? How does it fit??
Untorque the heads, lift the cylinders, Install the cooling baffles and put it all back together, including all those little oil pipes and fuel return tubes!
This unit sits on a 10 gallon! lube oil sump base. The oil pump wouldn't pick up suction ( cranking with starter motor w/ decompressor on) so I periodically prelubed it with a squirt of oil from a Hyperlube bottle into the open oil gallery (oil filter is on crankcase door, squirt in hole when door is off)
Finally I removed the suction hose from the 40 gallon sump and blew compressed air thru it toward the oil pump. That unstuck the pump check valves and blew oil snot out the open side of the crankcase. Oil pressure soon built up on the next decompressed cranking session.
Then a new noise. The oil pressure switch turned on the electric fuel pump.
Now it was time to sort out the fuel system. Same problems. Fuel pump doesn't want to. Similar solution, blow compressed air thru it, then squeeze fuel thru it with the Hyperlube bottle and it's tapered tip stuck into the fuel suction hose.
I ended the evening with 20 PSI oil pressure when cranking with the decompressors on and one fuel injector bled to the injector nozzle.
Then it was dark and the bugs were out....
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 05:05:25 AM by SHIPCHIEF »
Ashwamegh 25/2 & ST12
Lister SR2 10Kw 'Long Edurance' genset on a 10 gallon sump/skid,
Onan 6.5NH in an old Jeager Compressor trailer and a few CCK's

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: Lister SR2 'Long Run' surplus genset being revived
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 05:12:31 AM »
Good job! They do take a bit of patience at times don't they?

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

Apogee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 11:06:58 PM »
I have one of those I need to get to also.  Mine has been sitting for about as long as yours...  Hopefully it's not stuck though!

Please keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks,

Steve

SHIPCHIEF

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 11:23:44 PM »
I have been working on it today.
The fuel lift pump is an electric pump that is turned on by an oil pressure controlled switch. It also has a push button for priming.
The Stewart Warner electric diaphragm pump failed, so I replaced it with a Facet Cube pump I have.
The electric start turns over OK, but the flywheel end cylinder is the only one that gives smoke. I cant get the governor end injector pump to purge the injector P pipe.
Both injector pumps are gummy and the racks don't move unless I pry them back & forth, so if it did start, the governor wouldn't be able to control the speed.
I'm admitting to myself that it's time to remove the injector pumps & Nozzles....
Aside from that, I think it's about ready for use...
Ashwamegh 25/2 & ST12
Lister SR2 10Kw 'Long Edurance' genset on a 10 gallon sump/skid,
Onan 6.5NH in an old Jeager Compressor trailer and a few CCK's

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 11:45:30 AM »
Once stuck, those pumps rarely will free-up without removal and disassembly. Just keep all your parts in perfect order and pay close attention to the internal relationships involved. Take pictures if in doubt.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 01:39:48 AM »
you could try the soak in a clean paint can of acetone and auto trans fluid, swish it around a couple times a day, wiggle stuff, and let it soak through for a week or so

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2017, 06:39:58 AM »
+1

I've become a BIG fan of the ATF acetone cocktail since reading about it on here.

5% ATF seems about enough

Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.