Puppeteer

Author Topic: guess what  (Read 8113 times)

starfire

• View Profile
guess what
« on: August 24, 2017, 11:46:47 AM »
Yesterday had another CS 3.5 delivered !!!  Im  pretty excited about this one, its complete and after a check over and oil change, it ran very nicely. Today I washed it down with copious quantities of diesel, inside and out, and attacked it viciously with the water blaster.  The big end is perfect, the first thing to look at in my experience when the sump arrives  full of grungy tar. The injector pump has a tight spot, the original snake fuel filter has decomposed, but other than that shes a wee honey. its a late model, one of the last 3 1/2s built in 1948 I believe.
Tomorrow Ill blow over a coat of  green to tidy her up, have a base to weld up, and hump it into position next to the Petter, it will do as a backup. I was told it has a copper home made head gasket, this will need checking to see the clearance, given any absence of knocking, Im assuming its probably ok. These I believe are the rarest of the CS Listers, and the spoked flywheels are certainly the nicest looking in my opinion.

Well, pics never happened. Photobucket has died, and the suggested photo host on here, coppermine??? keeps asking for a global password??? What the hell is that? Tried attaching, that dont work for me either. My life is obviously a mess.
So, no pics sorry.

starfire

• View Profile
Re: guess what
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 11:49:29 AM »
OH, it did work. I am redeemed. Heres more then.

starfire

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 11:51:59 AM »
looks like its a one pic at a time?

starfire

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 12:00:26 PM »
The brass plaque in the last photo warns of using "residual" fuels rather than distillate..... techy way of saying no waste oil i guess. I will polish it up prior to ignoring it.

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 04:45:54 PM »
Restrictions: 4 per post, maximum total size 4096KB, maximum individual size 1024KB
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

vdubnut62

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 06:28:55 PM »
Starfire, with all due respect, you suck suck suck suck. I will never own even one original lister,they are above my pay grade, and you Sir, seem to find them everywhere! Did I mention that you, Oh! Yes I did! Never mind because I suspect that you already know.
Ron.
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."   Plato.

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

starfire

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 10:28:06 PM »
Sorry Ron, I have to "tolerate" the old original genuine Listers as we have no access to the Indian "fakes". Ideally, these very old genuine versions should have a chain welded to them so they can be used as mooring anchors at sea, or simply melted  down to make something more useful. Unfortunately Im unable to do either, so am literally forced to replenish the fluids and run them as intended.
Please forgive the following pic, notice how I had no option into wasting time and money on this old thing....

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2017, 08:00:31 AM »
Exactly!

All these blokes whining about the free casting sand they get with every engine, unheeding of the almost limit opportunities for fettling castings and the chance to spray both inside and out of the engine before sorting out the flywheels, balancing the crank, fine tuning governor and fuel system get on my pip!

Like you good self I've struggled to keep an 80 year old lump of cast iron from turning into a highly magnetised machine that attracts money, time and effort which is only repaid with the chance to post on a forum like this, where one realises that one is not alone.................

Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2017, 08:30:41 AM »

The brass plaque in the last photo warns of using "residual" fuels rather than distillate..... techy way of saying no waste oil i guess. I will polish it up prior to ignoring it.

Well done that man.  FWIW I have a complete bottom end for one of these in my yard

No idea of condition or if you need bits . . .

Cheers, mike

George A

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2017, 12:10:20 PM »
It's a shame that you fellahs have to tolerate all those clunky Lister originals, while we bask in the glory of advanced Indian technology. Why, the metallic greenish/blue paint alone is enough to start a man bragging!

Very nice find........please keep us up to date.
I've joined "the dark side"....if it has a spark plug, it's obsolete technology.

starfire

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2017, 01:53:07 PM »
Thanks George and Stef.  Yes, its very annoying  having this junk dumped on me like that.
Next fine day Ill give it a run and link a video. Im tossing up whether to fit a radiator with electric fan, or a cooling tower. An integrated exhaust too would make it a self contained compact unit
Mike, thanks too. I believe your  3.5 crankcase will happily accept the 5 hp top end, so it may still be useful  to you. The 3.5 cylinder head is unique, but I do know the injector, pump etc are the same and interchangeable with the bigger models , probably just adjusted differently. My AV1/ AV2 Petter fuel components are Bryce, but a quick look suggests they too would be interchangeable with the Bosch and/or CAV as fitted to Listers. I suspect the different manufacturers of fuel components had an agreement to make these compatible form factors and engine manufacturers chose on price?
Now, here is a question. I noticed on this engine a brass bung immediately left of the valve lifters. It has OIL written in the top. What is this and what does it oil? Im assuming it is to be unscrewed and oil squirted in? Never ever noticed it before.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2017, 02:00:37 PM »
That plug provides the all-important access to your camshaft end bushing that otherwise gets very little lubrication. On all new startups or in cases where the unit has been out of service for a time, that plug must be removed and oil squirted onto the camshaft bush.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2017, 03:36:52 PM »
A point to note....

My 6/1 stared life as a hopper cooled 3.5/1 according to the ID plate. I acquired it with a larger cylinder and head, in perfect non running condition.

I rebuilt it, with a few Indian spares, just to see what I was missing, and it leaped about all over the place.

I did the balancing thing, it seemed to need a lot of extra weight, can't remember how much now, so I sent for an alloy 8/1 piston, it's really smooth now, at around 600 / 650 rpm, with no extra weights.I'm sure you've all been glued top my Youtube vid. with the can of oil balancing on the rocker cover ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js3zz6CECqY&feature=youtu.be  for those who missed it)

Anyway I'm sure there's a difference between 3.5 and 6hp flywheels, when you consider the extra metal in the larger piston there must be.

So be aware if you decide to 'Big Up' you spare bottom end, Mike!

Cheers Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2017, 09:23:35 PM »
A point to note....

My 6/1 stared life as a hopper cooled 3.5/1 according to the ID plate. I acquired it with a larger cylinder and head, in perfect non running condition.

I rebuilt it, with a few Indian spares, just to see what I was missing, and it leaped about all over the place.

I did the balancing thing, it seemed to need a lot of extra weight, can't remember how much now, so I sent for an alloy 8/1 piston, it's really smooth now, at around 600 / 650 rpm, with no extra weights.I'm sure you've all been glued top my Youtube vid. with the can of oil balancing on the rocker cover ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js3zz6CECqY&feature=youtu.be  for those who missed it)

Anyway I'm sure there's a difference between 3.5 and 6hp flywheels, when you consider the extra metal in the larger piston there must be.

So be aware if you decide to 'Big Up' you spare bottom end, Mike!

Cheers Stef

G'day Stef

Yep, that smooth-running video is impressive

I bought the 3.5/1 wearing a truck piston which had allegedly been machined at the top to get the squish right and which came with 15 years worth of rainwater in the cylinder.  A mate took the head as a spare for his project and I just hung onto the bottom end thinking the crank might serve someone one day

I have two "project" 6/1s and a work-in-progress property out in the sticks where I have just been building a concrete-and-steel base for one of them, around which I will need to build an engine room.

One of the Dursley 6/1s has an Indian head and seems to run quite happily like that.  I'm planning on sticking with the 6/1s as there are spares available.  I had a 12/2 but sold it in the end, liking the simplicity of the singles more

There is a 5kVa ST-type head, a 28VDC generator, a couple of big 12VDC Leece Neville truck alternators and a 24VDC alternator all sitting in the barn waiting for me to find ways to drive some of them off the CS

No shortage of stuff to do when i get a weekend . . .

Thanks, Guys

starfire

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2017, 01:31:44 AM »
A short run after filling with nice clean oil and bleeding the fuel system. I am always amazed just how easy these start, even sitting in the rain after a miserable cold night. The injector pump needs dismantling, it seems only to operate over part of its range, suspect  it has been assembled slightly wrong at some stage. I didnt try the official Stef baked bean can test as its sitting on  stony non level ground, and thats unfair.

https://youtu.be/9CGjKAjav-Y

A quick video....