Puppeteer

Author Topic: Lister TR3 Leaking Injectors  (Read 4220 times)

Allan Jackson

• View Profile
Lister TR3 Leaking Injectors
« on: August 09, 2017, 11:52:10 AM »
I have a Lister TR3 and over the last few weeks the injectors have started to leak. It started with just one injector and now all three are leaking. Anyone have any clues as to what might have caused this and how I might rectify the situation..?
Thanx

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: Lister TR3 Leaking Injectors
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 02:33:02 PM »
The TR uses two different injector types depending on age and possible re-fits over the years. If you have the Bryce injector then the only place for fuel to leak up top will be the leak-off (fuel return) hoses. If you have the Lucas injector style, then there is also an o-ring in the top of the injector holder that sometimes is the culprit as well.

Take a look at the fuel return or leak-off lines where they come out of the injectors... if the rubber is cracked/swollen/aged then that will be an easy fix by replacing those hoses and fittings. Be sure to get single-wall viton hose for the replacements due to the heat and fuel involved. Anything less will likely give trouble again in short order. These use nylon tee fittings to branch and connect the other injectors up to the return assembly.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

Allan Jackson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 04:09:43 PM »
I checked the leak off pipes (which are copper in my case) and changed the copper washers but that does not seem to have been the problem. I'm guessing from your response that I must have the lucas type. I will see about removing them and checking the O rings. I will let you know how I get on. Thanx once again.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 04:36:26 PM »
I just realized... I transposed some information in last post. It is the Bryce injector type that uses the o-ring to seal the top cap.

The leak-off lines will be rubber or steel... not copper, unless of course someone has put on something other than factory stuff.

dieselgman

Allan Jackson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 07:40:05 AM »
In that case they will be steel then, and tarnished...

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 12:58:51 PM »
Right, that would be my expectation. If your banjo fittings are sealed, then the only other fuel leakage points right at the injectors would be the supply side (high pressure) connections of the fuel pipes or the o-rings on top caps of the Bryce style injector holders.

dieselgman

Allan Jackson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 08:49:03 AM »
Thanx. Is it possible to remove the injectors without having to remove the cylinder heads?

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 11:45:03 AM »
Sure, just pull your valve covers and you will see the allen-head cap screws that hold down the injectors. Be careful regarding the copper washers under the nozzle holders, they sometimes are stuck in the head spigots. Rotate the injectors slightly after removing their clamps to break loose any carbon build-up. We use a dab of copper anti-seize on re-assembly with some success although Lister does not specify this step.

dieselgman