Puppeteer

Author Topic: Glyptal vs. Generic?  (Read 5567 times)

Randybee1

• View Profile
Glyptal vs. Generic?
« on: August 07, 2017, 01:23:52 PM »
Getting ready to tear my ST gen head apart. Any recommendations as to using a generic "Red Insulating Varnish" as opposed to the real deal-Glyptal?

BruceM

• View Profile
Re: Glyptal vs. Generic?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 12:33:49 AM »
We used  spray red insulating varnish on my neighbor's 8/1 crankcase interior and access door interiors after we ground it smooth-  same stuff as Glyptol and a whole lot cheaper.  I think it was 38ac who tipped me off on that...much appreciated.

Randybee1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 01:07:17 AM »
Much appreciated. Glyptal is running about $40.00 delivered were as the generic is about $12.00. I was all prepared to buy Glyptal if if was superior. I don't want to cheap-out on my gen build but it looks like the generic will do...Thanks again BruceM

I've got a fair amount of surface rust inside my ST head. Do I need to sand it like I was refinishing a car or just get it fairly smooth and clean?

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 01:14:46 AM »
I'd only give the stator a light cleanup.  Might be a good place for some spray electrical varnish, but sometimes finishes aren't helpful regarding rust.  I live in a desert climate so rust is a non-issue here; hopefully someone else from a more corrosive environment might chime in on this.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 05:39:39 AM »
Most of the "insulating varnish" I've seen and used has had an epoxy binder... very strong and lasting results. No particular needs for name-brand Glyptol.

I would wipe the rust where possible with clean rags and blow dry with dry air-pressure... but the generator innards are no place for much messing about! It only takes a very small insulation flaw in one of your windings to start big trouble and possible failure.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 12:22:57 PM »
The insulating varnish product I use comes from WW Grainger and is called Spray On. It has worked well both for it's stated purpose and to seal up the insides of the various 'roids that have been through the shop.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

Randybee1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 12:16:11 AM »
Generic it is. Just ordered 2 cans. Thanks guys for the input.

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2019, 06:42:51 PM »
Old thread but has anyone been using Glyptal, POR-15 or any other miracle paints recently ?
 In addition to painting the crankcase of my PH1 Kryslar clone . The underside
Of the mower desks have lost all paint and are now a rusty surface that grass clippings adhere to.  Glyptal lists some HD epoxy paint ? Wonder if it may do the trick with a touch up now and again when the kids try to mow stones .

Randybee1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2019, 11:45:03 AM »
The generic Glyptal I used a few years ago is still OK.. no pealing, cracking etc. I just refurbished a mower deck 2 months ago. I sand blasted it, sprayed phosphoric acid on the bare metal, let set, washed and then applied Rust Bullet paint to the underside. I did not sandblast the underside (just the top of the deck). Anyway.. that rust bullet is some good stuff. NO grass sticks to the underside of the deck. I've used just about all the miracle rust paints out there. Por-15 is probably the worst of the batch. I've been using Rust Bullet for about 10 years or so and highly recommend it.