How to / DIY > Generators

Glyptal vs. Generic?

(1/2) > >>

Randybee1:
Getting ready to tear my ST gen head apart. Any recommendations as to using a generic "Red Insulating Varnish" as opposed to the real deal-Glyptal?

BruceM:
We used  spray red insulating varnish on my neighbor's 8/1 crankcase interior and access door interiors after we ground it smooth-  same stuff as Glyptol and a whole lot cheaper.  I think it was 38ac who tipped me off on that...much appreciated.

Randybee1:
Much appreciated. Glyptal is running about $40.00 delivered were as the generic is about $12.00. I was all prepared to buy Glyptal if if was superior. I don't want to cheap-out on my gen build but it looks like the generic will do...Thanks again BruceM

I've got a fair amount of surface rust inside my ST head. Do I need to sand it like I was refinishing a car or just get it fairly smooth and clean?

BruceM:
I'd only give the stator a light cleanup.  Might be a good place for some spray electrical varnish, but sometimes finishes aren't helpful regarding rust.  I live in a desert climate so rust is a non-issue here; hopefully someone else from a more corrosive environment might chime in on this.

dieselgman:
Most of the "insulating varnish" I've seen and used has had an epoxy binder... very strong and lasting results. No particular needs for name-brand Glyptol.

I would wipe the rust where possible with clean rags and blow dry with dry air-pressure... but the generator innards are no place for much messing about! It only takes a very small insulation flaw in one of your windings to start big trouble and possible failure.

dieselgman

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version