Author Topic: Ebay purchases. The good, bad and laughable.  (Read 262 times)

glort

• View Profile
Ebay purchases. The good, bad and laughable.
« on: July 15, 2017, 11:38:38 AM »

Been having a buy up on fleaby lately mainly for machinery and tools and wondering what other peoples experiences have been and what they have done well and poorly with. Must be some great stories out there.

I know the Chinese stuff gets ragged on a lot but so far my significant purchases have been good.  Just bought a whole heap of new toys and been pleased with all of them. I looked at the OEMS and I wasn't much impressed with them either. I could see a lot of potential problems so thought I may as well pay $100 for a design flaw as $350+.  Other stuff I bought I really didn't know what I wanted or as looking for so again, though I may as well pay less for my mistake of selection that top Dollar. If the Chinese item isn't what I want or it is and fails, then I'll make the right buying decision next time and learn the lesson at minimal cost.

So far all the tools and Chinese stuff I have bought has been really good and certainly way beyond expectation.

As well as new stuff, I have been mainly lucky on fleabay with other things.

There was the little Peugeot Diesel car I bought about 5 years ago that the owner sold for a song because the thing would keep stopping all the time. Was a bloody nice car and priced at about 1/6th of what comparable models were going for.
Guy showed me receipts for over $2k worth of mechanics bills and still the thing was the same.  Ran fine, restarted ok but would not keep running the minute you came to a traffic light.  Stalled about 20 times on the 30 minute drive home.  Parked it in the driveway as it was raining and was looking on the net that night for manuals etc.  I was on the phone talking to a mate about the same car he had and something totally unrelated and the 2V light in my head came on with a passing comment he made. Finished the call, grabbed some hose, clamps and an inline fuel filter and bypassed the factory filter.  Went out in the 11Pm drizzle, did the change in about 2min flat literally, fired the thing up and sat in it for 10 min without problem.  Drove it round the block about 5 times, not a problem.  Drove wife to work in it next morning in the traffic perfect. Left it with her, caught train into city and back home, she drove it home. Perfect.
Problem was the factory fuel filter/warmer had cracked and like a lot of things diesel, was sucking air rather than leaking.  $4 fix, $4000 saving on price of car.  Didn't have the heart to tell the owner what it was but I did get back to him thanking him for his honesty with the thing and  just said the problem problem was not a major one and I would highly recommend he change mechanics because either the one he had was a con man or a complete idiot.

Engine I bought the other week which came from a failed pump setup was a good buy as well. Paid $123 for the engine/ frame etc on the spur of the moment and then later saw similar engines were going for about $700. This thing hadn't run long enough to send the oil fully black and runs real nice and smooth.

Can't say I have had any real problems. Did buy something off Canadian ebay years ago which was clearly a misrepresented product and far more broken than made out.  As it were, by sheer arse,  Some one I was telling about it said they had an old broken one at home with a different problem and I could have that. Got the parts I needed and made the thing work perfectly for the investment of about an hours work .  Turned out the thing didn't do what I wanted so I sold it and got about 3 times what I paid for the thing so very good.

Anyway, what successes and otherwise have other people had with online buying and selling?

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Ebay purchases. The good, bad and laughable.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 01:16:01 PM »
Well.... it's nothing like as exciting or dramatic as yours.... I have a Kirby G4 hoover (one of those huge silver heavy things, so heavy it actually has a power drive). I'd lost a couple of bits of the shampooer feature, and whilst I was waiting for them to turn up, a guy just up the road is selling his for 5 (about $6-10 depending on which $ you use). Thinking it would be rude not to, I bid & won at the start price.

I knew it was faulty. Apparently it "just stopped", wasn't the fuse, so the guy gave up and bought something lighter. When I got there, it turned out he had the good bit of another one, so I got the two of them... I felt so guilty just giving him a fiver I ended up insisting on paying 10 - 5 each.

Anyway, got it back to the unit & tore it down to component parts. Figured it had to be the contactor gone south, which would be a shame (custom Kirby thing), but surely with 2 I'd be onto a winner? Anyway, having extracted the contactor, I figured I'd try it. Blow me... it worked? Wierd.... So, re-assembled the hoover, plugged it in, and off it went, absolutely perfect. On close inspection, I think I figured out what happened... the bag fitting has a plastic tag on it, which catches one of the two safety switches on the contactor. Somehow, the switch must have somehow slipped and the machine thought the bag wasn't fitted, so wouldn't turn on!

Intrigued, I tried the same with the other "dead" machine. Worked first time!! So now I have 2 working vacuum cleaners for the grand outlay of a tenner + some petrol. Happy chappy or what :)

Still waiting on the bloody shampoo pipe though....
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
1x Lister JP4 :D
Back in the UK :) Just need to find a use for the JP now!

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 01:33:57 PM »
I have found it a lot quicker and easier to check eBay for most anything we need around the shop. This would include most small tools and supplies. It is generally easier than researching something specific on Google and then trying to figure out who has the best quality for a reasonable price. Most of the time I have found good value, ... and the duds generally not any big issues, but you have to watch for tricky shipping costs and the like.

The absolute worst... and to my embarrassment this has happened to me numerous times, are the cases where I paid thousands for machinery or engines... then never getting the things shipped or delivered behind lame excuses and sellers who are much less than honest and accountable. I have learned that the eBay system does not protect the buyer at all in most cases where really substantial sums are involved. Their internal policies protect primarily themselves from losses, not their clients as their written dialog claims to do. Some unscrupulous sellers have this figured out and operate incognito despite many of the safeguards that are incorporated in the platform - This certainly has accounted for 10's of thousands of $$$ lost funds in my case. The take away is don't send out funds that you cannot afford to lose, have a backup plan for tracking down the seller and your product if you cannot get the goods shipped, and review the details pretty carefully and thoroughly to try and weed out the bad apples. Don't expect anyone at eBay to stand behind their empty claims of protected transactions... they will only serve their own best interests, not yours.

Now, when I purchase something substantial, I also make certain I can go track it down if the seller becomes uncooperative for any reason... this includes cross-country drives when the circumstances warrant. Having a good excuse to get out of the shop can also sometimes be a good thing... I recently managed a visit with my buddy Butch (38AC) over in Ohio, good productive trip.

I have never had the patience to sell on eBay myself... just don't like their policies and their pointless interference. I do allow some others to sell our products at their own behest, and it has actually been an eye-opener for me. You wouldn't think anyone could get away with 100% markups on Lister/Petter products but they have found their own small market niche and a platform that works for them. All we are, in that case, is a distributor warehouse... not an altogether bad place to be I suppose.

dieselgman
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 04:06:52 PM by dieselgman »
Ford Powerstroke, Caterpillar 3304, Cummins M11, Too many Listers to count...

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 03:02:34 AM »
I have found it a lot quicker and easier to check eBay for most anything we need around the shop. This would include most small tools and supplies. It is generally easier than researching something specific on Google and then trying to figure out who has the best quality for a reasonable price. Most of the time I have found good value, ... and the duds generally not any big issues, but you have to watch for tricky shipping costs and the like.

I'm much the same.  At least on ebay I can get a price guide if I have come across something or need something new.  I can also compare knock off price to genuine and make a decision on the risk of spending too much on the the OEM or spending too much geting the knockoff which may fail.

I have learned that the eBay system does not protect the buyer at all in most cases where really substantial sums are involved. Their internal policies protect primarily themselves from losses, not their clients as their written dialog claims to do.
 Don't expect anyone at eBay to stand behind their empty claims of protected transactions... they will only serve their own best interests, not yours.

Couldn't agree more. Even just reading the fine print on their policy's and guarantees gives the game away. In most cases the conditions are so tight their other policy's make them impossible to have in the first place.  You are definitely on your own when buying there.
I would NEVER make any substantial purchase I could not go and pay cash for and collect myself unless it was from a company that had a good trading record and been doing it a while. I have also asked for phone numbers to contact people and If I can't do that, I look else where.

A strategy I have used before for bigger dollar out of State items I have considered, is asking the seller questions and then asking if my brother, the truck driver whom is in that area all the time can come and have a look or they will pick up the item and pay cash. Asking for an address where he can come see it because if it's in good condition I'll be happy to pay more gets a lot of them back peddling!  Amazing the excuses and garbage you get at that suggestion. Very soon weeds the crooks from the genuine sellers. Given how many crooks I have found, I just don't make large out of town purchases.

I have never had the patience to sell on eBay myself... just don't like their policies and their pointless interference.

Well I have but I'm with you these days.
It's not straightforward, the fees are High and dealing with a lot of twat buyers is a pain in the arse.  Yes, they will be there at 3 PM saturday to collect and turn up at 6pm as you are trying to go out. Or never show and then lob up out the blue 3 days later or ring and whine because you aren't home when they unexpectedly showed up.   Had them win auctions and then show up claiming they " Only have $xxx" being an amount short.  I hold out my hand take the money and then say I'll hold the item and the down payment till they come back with the rest.  Never ceases to amaze me how they either find the extra or make excuses not to leave the money they have with you.

Post can be a pain in the arse too. Packaging things up and sending them off and hoping you guessed the right postage or the seller gets it and then complains you charged too much.
Had one guy once send me a cashiers or whatever Cheque from a US bank which was going to cost me more to have cashed that the amount was for.
had on the ad, no OS buyers which he admitted to before getting demanding and insulting. I cancelled the sale and threw the cheque away. he started going off about the cheque not being able to be cancelled and me ripping him off. I said never taken a cent from you, cheque with your bank, get stuffed.
Of course there were threats of legal action and all the predictable and that was it apart from more appeals to return the cheque  with religious refrences and threats I found highly insulting and would have made me throw the cheque away if I hadn't already.

I have used this experience to my advantage a Number of times now.  On gumtree which I think is like craigslist, I'll make sellers an offer and state, I know what selling there is like ( worse than fleabay) I WILL be there at the time we arrange, I will have all the cash and I will make the transaction as straightforward and painless as it can be for everyone.  It strikes a chord very often and people will take a hit on price just to save themselves the mucking around they have had before.