Author Topic: Changfa near CT anyone?  (Read 3364 times)

highroad281

• View Profile
Changfa near CT anyone?
« on: July 13, 2017, 10:14:33 PM »
Hi all,

Looking for an IDI model to run a PMG head for backup power until I can get the 12/2 clone properly overhauled. Was thinking a 195 running about 1100 rpm would be a good match, have reasonable noise and give me future options too.  Willing to entertain other ideas, not committed at this point.  Seeing what may be local to hopefully avoid freight charges. 

38ac

• View Profile
Re: Changfa near CT anyone?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 11:07:13 AM »
Hello and welcome to the L.E.F.

I am a ways from you in Ohio but have a few Chinese horizontals around that can be purchased. Unfortunately no 195 but everything either side of it from R165 to 1115. Some are new, some are low houred.  To tell you the truth I dont know if they are D.I. or I.D.I .
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

highroad281

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 06:21:42 PM »
Hello and welcome to the L.E.F.

Thanks 38ac!  Long time lurker, finally trying to put some of the information gleaned here to work. Looking at the recent instrumentation threads with great interest as well.

My reasoning for the 195 is based on what I've been reading up on the models and options - not practical experience.  What I'm finding suggests that the ones with counterbalance are easier to live with, and I believe that means at least a 195 or larger - but I'm certainly no authority.  Maybe you know if this is the case,  or have experience that counterbalance isn't that big of a deal?

As for IDI, just thinking that the option for fuel flexibility would be nice to have.   Again,  with no hands on experience maybe the DI models are just as good?  From reading it sounds like the IDI models may have a specific alpha character in the model number,  but that varies based on factory, date, etc.  They may also have a plugged port for a glow plug in the head but DI will not.  I probably wouldn't be able to tell if I saw one either.   Maybe someone will chime in to help clarify?

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 07:46:39 PM »
Counterbalancing makes a better engine overall... whether a big V-Twin motorcycle engine or diesel heavy equipment. The better Caterpillars (3304 and 3306) run separate internal counterbalance shafts to smooth everything out... my Indian TS111 bike engine is silky smooth and elegant when compared alongside a comparable lower powered and smaller displacement Harley - all about the internal counterbalancing.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

highroad281

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 10:46:51 PM »
Counterbalancing makes a better engine overall...

dieselgman

Thank you Sir, makes sense.   Probably a case of diminishing returns and manufacturing to a price point why the smaller Chinese horizontals don't get counterbalancing.

vdubnut62

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 08:46:19 PM »
I have 2 s1100's  (same as a 195 except larger bore) and an 1115. The only one I know for sure about is the one I pulled the head off of.
 The Great Walla Walla Xing Dong is indirect injected, and I'm clueless about the others. Oh, my 'roid is indirect injected too and has an aluminum piston. 
Yeah, I'm no help.... ::)
Ron.
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."   Plato.

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

highroad281

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 06:19:47 AM »
I have 2 s1100's  (same as a 195 except larger bore) and an 1115.
Ron.

Hi Ron,  not sure if you are offering them up or just passing along the observation.   Drop me a PM if local.  Thx