Author Topic: fitment of a Tacho to a ST3  (Read 2907 times)

Tony01

• View Profile
fitment of a Tacho to a ST3
« on: July 07, 2017, 08:16:46 AM »
Hi guys I have recently acquired a ST3 hydraulic power pac just chasing any info as if anyone has fitted a tachometer to one and how did you go about doing so any reply would be greatful also any pics would also be handy thanks in advance Tony
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 08:27:14 AM by Tony01 »

Tony01

• View Profile
Re: fitment of a Tacho to a ST3
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 09:53:39 AM »
guess no one has done this before will continue my search someone out there must have done this at one stage

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 12:46:20 PM »
Hi Tony

A mate of mine built me a digital tacho for my CS, powered by a 9v battery. It uses a Hall effect switch picking up on 4 tiny magnets mounted in the collar that retains the camshaft.

See this Youtube clip for details.

If all else fails let me know and I'll ask if he'll build something similar for you, and what the cost is likely to be.

Cheers Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 12:47:59 PM »
Oops!

Forgot to include the link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js3zz6CECqY&feature=youtu.be

Cheers Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

Samo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 01:35:52 AM »
I'm not far off posting my design and instructions for the software/hardware to build a modular RPM counter/ and servo based governor using arduino components from ebay. It can work work with Hall Effect sensor or IR sensor. (detecting flywheel spokes...).  I've got it all working, just need to write it up now.  Can be used as RPM display only.
Lister CS 12/2 & JKSON 10/1 Listeroid

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 01:44:42 AM »
I have seen the low-tech version installed on this series engines... vibration only. Simple and effective, but they do not last forever and I have not seen them on sale in recent years.

For a high-tech sensor, maybe the pulse detector trigger that goes on the fuel injection line would be a good way to go... just a thought.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

Samo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 01:29:11 PM »
The other way to measure RPM is to use a strobe light. There are some APPs out there for your smart phone that do an OK job. You set the speed and they flash the front LED, keep adjusting the speed until the flywheel stops moving then read off the speed - simples!

Just go to your favorite APP store and search for RPM App. There are also APPs that use sound but they don't work very well on my engines, though with a higher speed diesel maybe it will be different?

Samo
Lister CS 12/2 & JKSON 10/1 Listeroid

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 06:21:49 PM »
Cheap and cheerful, look up using a bicycle speedo as a rev counter.

I've used one on my CS and also on the prop shaft of my Dutch barge to compere shaft revs to engine revs when I  thought the gearbox was slipping, it wasn't!

Cheers Stef