Author Topic: Hi, from Shropshire  (Read 3466 times)

TrevJ

• View Profile
Hi, from Shropshire
« on: July 21, 2017, 08:38:20 PM »
Hi, I have just joined the forum. I have 2 lister engines and just about to buy another. I'm waiting to finish building the engine shed before I take delivery. A couple of months ago I never even knew lister engines existed, now I am trying to take in as much info as I can soak up just to understand what I have got.

regards, Trev.

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
Re: Hi, from Shropshire
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 10:15:30 PM »
Hello Trev and welcome!
What engines do you have there?
Are you re-building any of them (do they need it?) and will they be going to work?
Cheers,
Hugh
JKson 6/1  (Utterpower PMG ) Off-grid
Lister 6/1 Start-O-Matic engine......running with PMG
1978 Royal Enfield (glutton for punishment by Indian iron)
1963 BMW R-27 project

TrevJ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 10:40:34 PM »
Hi Hugh,

Thank you for the greeting. I have 2 Lister d engines at present, the first has a serial number- 130296. It appears to be fairly original and it runs very well, the trolley is a bit rough so I made a new one at work today from mahogany and oak. I make bespoke furniture so I had no trouble making it. The second engine is a D309 ( SER: 160449), it has been restored and has a large water tank. This also runs very well, the trolley on this one is very well made and in excellent condition. I know very little about the engines but I am looking forward to learning. I won't be rebuilding these engines for a while, I am about to take delivery of a Lister Junior which has been restored and is in good running order. I think these will keep me busy for a while, there is a farm machinery sale in our village tomorrow and there is a Petter A engine in the catalogue so I may have another by tomorrow. What engines do you have ?

regards, Trev.

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 03:26:58 PM »
Welcome to the Forum.

Mike here, in California, land  of Wildfires (and then Mudslides)

My wife and I live off-grid and our listeroid (clone of a Lister) is our primary power source in the winter when we have no sun.   

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 04:50:49 PM »
Hi Trev, and welcome.

I'm up in the Pyrenees with an almost finished CS 6/1 generator project.

Did you win the Petter?

My folks lived in Shropshire for years, near Pontsbury, whereabouts are you?

Cheers Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

TrevJ

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 11:00:24 PM »
Welcome to the Forum.

Mike here, in California, land  of Wildfires (and then Mudslides)

My wife and I live off-grid and our listeroid (clone of a Lister) is our primary power source in the winter when we have no sun.

Hi Mike, thanks for your response. Its great to know people like yourselves are still relying on these type of engines for basic amenities.

TrevJ

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 11:10:42 PM »
Hi Trev, and welcome.

I'm up in the Pyrenees with an almost finished CS 6/1 generator project.

Did you win the Petter?

My folks lived in Shropshire for years, near Pontsbury, whereabouts are you?

Cheers Stef
Hi Stef, I appreciate your response. I didn't win the Petter ! It was my own fault, the bidding started at £5 then it seemed to stop at £10, I bid £12 and it went quiet again and then the auctioneer said "sold for £15 to the man in the hat". Realising I was not wearing a hat it occurred to me that maybe I didn't have a clue what was going on here. Never mind !!! You say you live in the Pyrenees and your folks lived near Pontsbury. This is strange, I used to know a guy who lived near Pontsbury and moved to the Pyrenees about 15 years ago. I can't remember his name but I repaired his guitar when I owned the guitar shop in Bridgnorth, I think his nephews name was "Guy". Be amazing if this was your relatives.

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2017, 11:17:26 PM »
Hi Trev,

Welcome aboard! I was born in Chester, and lived most of my early years just a few miles on the posh side of the Shropshire/Cheshire border :D, went to school in Malpas which is only just up the road from Whitchurch, as I'm sure you know.

Currently, I have in the shed:
 - One functioning Lister CS 5/1 Start-o-matic (non-original generator)
 - One frosted CS in bits
 - A JP4 in running order
 - An LD1 which was in just-about running order, until I disassembled it, now I can't remember how it goes back together
 - A Villiers C45 which is both ugly, and only runs on the fifth tuesday of the month if it coincides with a full blue moon

I have, at various times, also had a variety of CS engines (many of which made their way to the States, eventually), and a Petter PAZ1, which was a lovely little thing, but too underpowered to replace the bastard Villiers on compressor duty.

If you ever find yourself heading up the Wirral, feel free to drop by for a cuppa and to behold the magnificence that is the JP4 :D

Cheers!
Ade.
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2017, 08:22:34 AM »
Hi Trev

Sorry, Guy's not one of us!

My family is from Rushden , Nothamptonshire, my Mum married a motorcycle racer and ran away to Shropshire when I was around 16.

We've been up here, more or less in the centre of the chain, a little over 6 years now, semi retired and running a B&B in the valley that leads up to the skl resort of La Mongie and the Col du Tormalet.

I don't know a Guy near us, but given that the Pyrenees are 500 miles long and 100 wide that's probably not surprising!

Cheers Stef

Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

TrevJ

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2017, 09:28:00 AM »
Hi Trev

Sorry, Guy's not one of us!

My family is from Rushden , Nothamptonshire, my Mum married a motorcycle racer and ran away to Shropshire when I was around 16.

We've been up here, more or less in the centre of the chain, a little over 6 years now, semi retired and running a B&B in the valley that leads up to the skl resort of La Mongie and the Col du Tormalet.

I don't know a Guy near us, but given that the Pyrenees are 500 miles long and 100 wide that's probably not surprising!

Cheers Stef

Well its good to meet you anyway, it just seemed so coincidental.

TrevJ

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2017, 09:37:53 AM »
Hi Trev,

Welcome aboard! I was born in Chester, and lived most of my early years just a few miles on the posh side of the Shropshire/Cheshire border :D, went to school in Malpas which is only just up the road from Whitchurch, as I'm sure you know.

Currently, I have in the shed:
 - One functioning Lister CS 5/1 Start-o-matic (non-original generator)
 - One frosted CS in bits
 - A JP4 in running order
 - An LD1 which was in just-about running order, until I disassembled it, now I can't remember how it goes back together
 - A Villiers C45 which is both ugly, and only runs on the fifth tuesday of the month if it coincides with a full blue moon

I have, at various times, also had a variety of CS engines (many of which made their way to the States, eventually), and a Petter PAZ1, which was a lovely little thing, but too underpowered to replace the bastard Villiers on compressor duty.

If you ever find yourself heading up the Wirral, feel free to drop by for a cuppa and to behold the magnificence that is the JP4 :D

Cheers!
Ade.
Thanks Ade, I have been to Whitchurch many times its not that far from here. I live between Wenlock and Craven arms, and likewise you are welcome for a cuppa anytime you are passing. I have a grey fergie tractor which I use for basic lugging stuff around, I am new to stationary engines it is a recent hobby. My neighbour has an old saw bench powered by a twin cylinder Petter diesel, this inspired me to get an engine. I then ended up with two Lister D's, one has been fully restored and has a water tower the other is unrestored but is in good condition. Both run very well, you mentioned a Villiers engine- my neighbour has a shed full of old OHV Villiers engines. He also has a Bonser tractor powered by a J.A.P. engine, he is your everyday Fred Dibnah.

Thanks again for your response, I appreciate it.

regards, Trev.