Author Topic: Looking for a Local member  (Read 3300 times)

TPXX

• View Profile
Looking for a Local member
« on: July 31, 2017, 07:48:30 PM »
Not sure where to post this but I'll try here. I am in the Houston, TX area and have a Listeroid 12/2 . It has sat for years and I'd like to get it up and running. I never cranked it from the factory because of sand issues. I had tried to get the flywheels off but never could get the gib key to come free. So after many years, I'm ready to tackle this project, but am wondering if anyone with a Listeroid tear down experience is in the area, that may be willing to supervise/lend a hand?

dieselspanner

• View Profile
Re: Looking for a Local member
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 08:28:05 PM »
Hi TP

Don't be afraid to go it alone!

There's so many helpful guys on here you'll never be more than a few hours away from at least one reply that'll get you going should you run out of ideas.........

What sort of skills / workshop do you have? Some people here have every thing you can imagine and are the cause of much envy (Don't you, Ed!), others get by with nothing more than the kit you'd find in an ordinary blokes garage. The best bit of kit I have is a small angle grinder and a good supply of ultra thin slitting discs, next is a second hand arc welder.

As for the stuck gib head keys, there are pullers available on Ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stationary-Engine-Gib-Key-Remover-Puller-Lister-A-Junior-D-Jib-Key-CS-PT-WD-PB-/122623976555?hash=item1c8cf5646b:g:zSwAAOxy0x1TSjsj

A local machine shop could knock you one up or maybe you can find an outfit with a water jet cutter that does 'Saturday morning jobs' for cash.

Some one posted on here where they welded a long rod to the key and improvised a slide hammer, I can't see much resisting that.

Cheers Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

TPXX

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 09:29:05 PM »
Hi TP

Don't be afraid to go it alone!

There's so many helpful guys on here you'll never be more than a few hours away from at least one reply that'll get you going should you run out of ideas.........

What sort of skills / workshop do you have? Some people here have every thing you can imagine and are the cause of much envy (Don't you, Ed!), others get by with nothing more than the kit you'd find in an ordinary blokes garage. The best bit of kit I have is a small angle grinder and a good supply of ultra thin slitting discs, next is a second hand arc welder.

As for the stuck gib head keys, there are pullers available on Ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stationary-Engine-Gib-Key-Remover-Puller-Lister-A-Junior-D-Jib-Key-CS-PT-WD-PB-/122623976555?hash=item1c8cf5646b:g:zSwAAOxy0x1TSjsj

A local machine shop could knock you one up or maybe you can find an outfit with a water jet cutter that does 'Saturday morning jobs' for cash.

Some one posted on here where they welded a long rod to the key and improvised a slide hammer, I can't see much resisting that.

Cheers Stef

I have a good supply of automotive tools, and am good with my hands, but have never tackled anything like this, but yes, getting over the "afraid of messing things up" is the first step! :)

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 10:26:27 PM »
i too, was in your shoes several years ago.   I was really lucky, and was found by a "local" in the same county, who drove to my rig (I guess it was not expected to be able to pick it up and take it somewhere)  and helped me out, and settled my nerves.  But it is quite daunting, getting all that mass spun up, throwing the final lever and hearing it go "chug" and after that it's duck soup.
 Photo everything, measure before you take apart.   I used several magnetic parts trays from Horrible Fright, to contain things so I could get it back in the right spot.

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 01:29:11 PM »
I had tried to get the flywheels off but never could get the gib key to come free.

Removing the flywheels can often be the most difficult task on the Listeriod engines, as the Rajkot assemblers are well known to fit the flywheel keys with a sledge hammer.

Take a look at this website for suggestions of how the website author was able to remove flywheels from a CS3/1 engine.

http://nesengineering.blogspot.co.uk/2011/07/lister-cs-35-1-interesting-journey-in.html
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 01:31:00 PM by listard-jp2 »

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 01:59:08 PM »
That's the bunny!

I got my flywheels off with a 10 ton bottle jack laid horizontally (with the pump at the bottom and the base of the jack outboard), chocked up to lay concentrically with the end of the crankshaft. I then lashed a decent length of chain in a figure of eight around the spokes and the base of the jack and pumped away.

Both of mine let go with a bang.

Prior to the attempt (s) I polished up the shafts and used plenty of acetone / ATF - 90% / 10% - as a penetrant and a lube whilst they were travelling.

The biggest shock was how much the things weighed when I picked them up!

Cheers Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 02:04:25 AM »
Go with the very simple purpose-built pullers if you can... not terribly expensive and they seem to work quite well in most cases where there is still an intact gib key head. We used to have several around for loaning out... but alas, they have not been returned.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 01:02:40 PM »
Yup , mine went out once and got lost too so now I keep him chained up in the shop ;)
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 12:39:28 PM »
Glort,

Don't worry about getting the keys back in right.

Before you refit the flywheels clean the keyways in the flywheel and the shaft out with the edge of a file then clean up the keys on all four faces, keeping the bottom one as flat as possible.

Cover the top face with the ink from a black or dark blue permanent magic marker - Sharpie or what ever they call them down you way, then tap it lightly home, withdraw it, file off the high spots, where the ink has been scraped off in the fitting to make them a little larger, repeat until you've got about 90% contact then drive them home hard.

After they're in use the pen to make a 'witness mark' in the keyway, about a millimetre outboard of the head. if the gap disappears you know there has been movement.

If you still have doubts put a Jubilee (hose) clip on the shaft, up against the key, it won't stop it coming loose but it will stop it dropping out and letting the flywheel run wild.

Finally, rock the flywheels back and forth each time you hunt for lift of the exhaust valve to engage the decompressor. You'll feel the slightest play straight away, ask me how I know!

Cheers Stef