Author Topic: Anyone have a chainsaw Mill?  (Read 4768 times)

guest22972

Anyone have a chainsaw Mill?
« on: June 12, 2017, 08:36:20 AM »

Went looking at furniture yesterday with the Mrs for the new Digs.  90% of it is MDF or Chipboard crap but at prices that would make you cry.

One thing we did see and, amazingly, both liked, were tables made from slabbed wood. Many we saw had " Living" edges". That's sales speil for the outer edge of the tree still in place and not squared off. These are solid, thick slabs of timber milled straight off the tree and either joined or one solid Piece.
They ranged in price from $4-7K. The single timber pieces being the most Exy.

I Cut some logs in half lengthways at my fathers to make outdoor seats and have always liked big timber. I had also only been looking at Chainsaw mills on ebay the night before thinking one may be good to have to go with the new saw I have just bought.
A mate lives about 20 Min from where we were going and I was talking to him earlier in the week . I was saying how the Mrs wants an indoor fireplace but we have no wood supply and it's too expensive to buy. He said you have a wood supply, I have all the timber you could want and as much as you care to come and cut and split. He said he had the loader and could pull it out as long as he could get to it and bring it up to the splitter for me.   I thanked him for his generous offer but still really don't want a fire place, my fathers keeps me exhausted trying to make enough timber to feed his.

I really need to get an old wood heater somewhere and set up and test an oil conversion on the thing and perfect it so it's good for indoor use.

The offer of the timber and the price of the tables makes a Chainsaw mill VERY attractive. I have been watching YT vids and it looks simple enough. Looks being the operative word.
I was wondering if anyone has used one of these basic Mills and if they do produce Decent Timber and are practical enough in useage?

The saw I have bought is a powerful one with a 92CC engine but only a 24" Bar but I'd spend the Couple of hundred or whatever on getting a longer bar if Needed.  I wouldn't mind joining different pieces together to get the table width I want and I'd like to possibly get something long for an outdoor table which shouldn't be a problem.
I built one many years ago out of Steel Coil packing pieces of timber and some heavy packing crate material and it's been fantastic. Weighs a couple of hundred Kilos and is solid as. Going to need a car trailer to take the thing to the new place.  I was thinking maybe I could freshen this one up and cut some 1" Slabs as a new top for it. I was thinking maybe even different squares joined together might look good. Other alternative was to put a framework around it and pour a cement top for it and polish or stain the concrete.

For the legs, one table I saw looked really good with 1/2" x 4"  steel just welded in a rectangle and Bolted to the deck.  Simple, cheap and easy to build.
I also had the thought of making a forge and getting some Bolts and putting the old style 5 facet heads on them and then putting them on the corners of the table to give it a real olde world look. I could to the same with some rivet looks on the legs and maybe even belt out some arrow head type designs or twist some steel rod and weld that on for decoration.

The other thing I'd REALLY like to do is make some large timber slabs to sit the roid on. Shouldn't be hard to do something 8x8" or even 12x12" and that would really appeal to me.  I nearly cry every time I see the YT vids where they get something beautifully squared up to about that size then they cut it down into a load of pissy little boards. 
What the hell do they do in the US and Canada with all these damn boards?  Here everything is 50x100mm or something like that for walls and structural . Only boards we have are in Chipboard or melamine.
 I'm also thinking there could be a market for these larger pieces of timber because the only ones I have seen that size ( only to 8x8) are all that laminated crap.

First thing is cutting the slabs though so I'd like to get any feedback on and Difficulties on that. I have read a ripping chain works best so I'll get some of those as well.

CCOS

• View Profile
Re: Anyone have a chainsaw Mill?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 04:46:24 AM »
Hi

Chainsaw milling aren't that difficult. I run a setup with at Stihl MS 661, an Alaskan Mrk III 42" mill and a 36" bar with Stihl ripping chain and a latter for the first cut.
CSM is slow compared to bandsaw or circularsaw but cheap to into and easy to get to the log. The biggest thing is to keep the chain sharp and not running with a dull chain it put a lot of stress on the saw and takes forever.
With my set up I can cut around 27" wide slaps  and the mill can hold a 42" bar if needed. Should I need bigger I can go to 72" and put by MS 362 on the other end so I run with two powerheads on the same bar.

I did make a little video of cutting a small log with my setup https://youtu.be/ipe16Rj12T4
Any questions just ask.

Jesper

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 08:03:02 AM »

Hey Glort what you do have to think about is drying those slabs before you can use them?  Rule of thumb is:  an inch a year.  So a 5-inch (125mm) slab will need to be dried away from the sun and with some weights on it so it doesn't warp or cup too much for several years.  You CAN make furniture out of it wet, but it will crack and split and move because as it dries in a different way to whatever it is glued/nailed/screwed/bolted to - something has to give.  If you're OK about coming back in a few years when it has all settled down, and filling the cracks with epoxy, and re-planing the top smooth/flat/square - then by all means use it wet-ish.  Cheers

CCOS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 08:12:35 PM »
I might have to brush up on my Chain sharpening skills. I got the theroy, the practice hasn't come out as well as I like so more YT vid watching there.

The rip chain do have one thing to remember the cutters have to be same length or else it will pull to one side (up or down) and you can't get flat boards. I use the Granberg 12v sharpener to make sure I get the right angels and the cutters are the same. Depending of the species you are milling you can go a bit deeper on the depth gauge normally it's .025-.030" but in softwood ( pine and spruce) I run .040"  and in oak .035" ( if I remember or else just .040 in oak also) Another thing I use is a hand winch on the mill to get a even speed and take 80-90% of the effort pushing the mill.

Jesper

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 05:48:35 AM »

A couple of thoughts on chainsaw mills FWIW:

I ran one commercially for several years in a sawmill, breaking big logs (up to 1400mm diameter) down into 300mm slabs for the main mill

It ran on rails and had a wind-up-and-down bar-and-motor assembly.  But it was powered by a 10hp 3-phase motor (a tenth of the running costs of a chainsaw) with a belt-drive to a jockey shaft with a spline to take the drive sprocket and a dummy shaft/tensioner/bearing at the other end

We "converted" the chains by taking off every second tooth from new with the cut-off disc on the angle grinder, and taking a couple of swipes across the top of each depth gauge (as you say, about 40 thou for softwoods)

I bored out the oiler hole to about three times the size and ran water as a lubricant with the garden hose, more or less - zero cost.  Worked fine & never noticed any extra wear or reduced life on the (big & expensive) bar

Wet sawdust made an abominable mess though.  But running costs ( and noise) were way down

Cheers

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 05:57:33 AM »

Hey Glort - after some inspiration?  Check out this guy's Macrocapa furniture pics . .

http://www.trademe.co.nz/services/trades/building-construction/auction-624163655.htm

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 04:31:40 PM »
I have had both sprocket problems and oil pump problems with the Stihls I have owned. When the sprocket is worn or an incorrect fit for the pitch of the chain drive teeth, the loose/tight/loose problem can arise. I would look carefully at the match in those parts. On the oil pumps, just a little debris can stop them from moving any oil... a good internal cleanup or simple parts replacement should take care of the problem if caused by the usual debris or dirty oil.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

CCOS

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 07:44:04 PM »
"Question for the knowledgeable... is the mounting/ fitment of all bars the same? I know there is length and gauge? differences but do they all mount up or is there say a Stihl and a husky and a poulan type mounting or are they all the same and you just get the length/ gauge you want?"

Sadly no.. Stihl mount dont fit on Husky and a small saw bar mounts aren't the same as on the big saw and then you have the universal mount that fits all.....  with a spacer unique to your saw model
I believe that Stihl have 3 sizes of mounts and then 2-3 gauges for each and then if it's solid, laminated, lightweight, if the nose sprocket can be changed or not and that is just Stihl own bars then there are Oregon and many others so a jungle..

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 07:56:47 PM »
Hey Glort

Firstly - have you got the chain on the "right way round" - excuse me for asking

Bars and chains not all the same

Chain "drive" teeth are of two different thicknesses - loosely for Stihl & Husqvarna - not compatible.  Take the bar off, stick it in the vice, put the chain on and spin it manually a bit.  Either it'll be just nice, or real loose in which case it might be wrong, or so tight it won't fit the groove in which case it IS wrong

Bar should have numbers stamped at the bolt-hole end

Bars get worn.  If the groove is sloppy or the bar is worn performance will suffer.  In a very won bar the drive teeth will bottom

For the state of bar & chain it's best to go to the shop - there are several variables

If you take the bar off and run the saw without it - you should see where the oil pump pumps its oil out of a groove.  The oil hole in the bar has to line up with that.  If not, you have a prob

Washers are a no-no I would say - should work without them.  Some saws have removeable side plates.  Might be missing?

If you have a big saw it will have a replaceable floating "female" sprocket driving the chain.  Have you got the chain properly nestled in that?

If you take the whole thing to a shop and ask some questions, the service guy can tell you all that in 5 mins flat - he'll want to sell you a new bar and chain and sprocket so should be happy to explain

good luck

CCOS

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2017, 04:04:26 AM »
Hi glort

Take a picture and let see if we can't figure out what make and model of saw you got.

Jesper