Puppeteer

Author Topic: Oil drain on ST2  (Read 5406 times)

nicky

• View Profile
Oil drain on ST2
« on: May 25, 2017, 11:39:03 AM »
    I have an ST2 that I am going to service and try to get running. Is there a special tool to get the drain plug out of the bottom of the crankcase? I have looked on the parts diagram and can't even find the plug there! :-\  puzzled
      nicky

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: Oil drain on ST2
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 12:41:20 PM »
The large plug on the bottom of block is actually the oil pump assembly access. You would drain the oil out of the side crankcase plug... a simple pipe plug that has either a square head or accepts an allen hex tool.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

nicky

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 02:24:14 PM »
   I haven't found a drain plug on the base anywhere unless it is an allen head that is filled with dirt. I'll have to look again. There are two square pipe plugs on the side but they are above the oil level.

nicky

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 02:58:54 PM »
    Ok, I just looked all around the bottom of the block and found the drain. Previous owner had installed an almost flush allen plug and it was covered with dirt. I just didn't see it before. This is my first Lister and things are a little different.
    By the way what oil is most commonly used? I have a Tractor Supply fairly close to me and I use their "Traveler" brand 30W in my gas engines and have for years. I have never used the diesel engine oil so I'm up for suggestions.
   Thank you much, nicky

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 10:15:15 PM »
We use 15-40 diesel rated lube oils... but any number of choices will work fine as long as they are kept clean/frequently changed.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

nicky

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 10:59:46 AM »
     Wow !!! Thank you both for the comments. I retired from a local Cat dealership and rebuilt a lot of engines, power shift transmissions, axles, fuel injection pumps and just about everything else on Cat equipment but I didn't get into oil specs etc. We just used the shop oils which was a Mobil 15-40W.
  I see Dieselman has a  3304. The 3304 and 3306 were my favorite engine of choice. They were rugged and would last for several thousand hrs if maintained properly.
 Thanks for the help and I will probably be back with more questions on this Lister,  :)
   nicky

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 02:56:12 PM »

For our old engines I stand by the notion that any modern engine oil will work not only fine but much better than the best oil of the day when they came out.  Not like these things are doing 10K Rpm and 2 Hp/ cui .  More like 1000 rpm and 4 Cui/ hp!  :0)

As said, keep it clean and changed regularly and you'll be fine with any new oil.

I did read somewhere that there are additives in oil these days (detergents?) which are designed to keep the shite that builds up in an engine in suspension in the oil; these oils being designed for full-filtration systems where ALL oil going through the engine first passes through the filter.

Most Listers & 'oids don't have oil filters, so it's "preferable" to use a non-detergent (? I might have the wrong additive here...) oil so the particles tend to sink to the bottom & form sludge, rather than being constantly thrown around the engine by the oil system.

Of course, I read that on the internet, so it's quite possible it's utter bollocks... I'm basically with glort on this one - own-brand supermarket oil is still going to be WAY better than anything that was around in 1930 when the CS was designed (and bear in mind the crankcase & oiling system predates that, being seen on the "A" which was around in the early 1900s), so I rather suspect you can't go wrong with it.
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

nicky

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 10:40:38 PM »
    My St2 does have a spin on filter. I just put in the 30HD to start it. I don't know if it will run for sure and I didn't want to buy diesel grade engine oil when this is the only one I have. This engine has apparently sit for quite a while and the inside of the fuel tank was quite rusty. I used the  washing soda and the battery charger trick and it worked quite well. Then I bungied it to my tractor wheel with a section of dog chain inside and let it rotate for about a half hour. The tank is almost rust free now. Hopefully I won't have any fuel pump or injector problems.
   I also prelubed the upper cylinders with some oil in the intake. I plan on spinning it with the starter and the decompression levers engaged till it shows some oil pressure. I did cut the original oil filter open and nothing showing in it at all. Hopefully it will be ok
Thank you for all for the info,
  nicky

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2017, 09:54:38 AM »
In this case, what are we likley to find in an engine and whats the potential harm?

This, I think, is the key question.

If you're getting significant incidence of particles larger than the 7um, i.e. metal filings, then there's already something serious wrong which fresh clean oil isn't going to fix... in fact, you're obviously well on the way to a fairly major failure, and continuing to run the engine is likely to be A Bad Move... whether full-filtered or not!
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

oldgoat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2017, 01:22:16 PM »
With the low sulphur distillate available now any acid in the condensation is only an ad executives musings. Although I have no idea of what is in the combustion products of vege or old sump oil.

nicky

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2017, 09:49:42 PM »
     Hi all,
   I started my ST2 today. The starter had some problems. Apparently this engine had set outside and the starter had been half full of water. All rusty inside and the field poles were pitted some. I finally got it apart and the armature cleaned up pretty good. I had to soda blast the inside , brush holders etc. Commutators had no damage. Surprisingly it started the engine. It shows about 50psi oil pressure.... seemed a little high, maybe not. A lot of diesel smoke on startup. I only ran it about 5 min total. I'm sure it's not a very EPA friendly engine.  :)
   nicky