Author Topic: Lister ST"W" vs SL  (Read 3662 times)

stevo42

• View Profile
Lister ST"W" vs SL
« on: May 21, 2017, 06:39:48 PM »

Greetings. I have a Lister SL1 and SL2 running gen sets and my question is, would a ST2 (raw water cooled) Lister be of any value as a "parts engine"?
The ST was in a friends boat and apparently running good as he used to crank start it then one cylinder quit firing and his mechanic thought it was a valve problem. He offered the engine to me after replacing it with a Kubota. So I'm wondering if its worth hauling away. Thoughts? Thanks, Steve

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
Re: Lister ST"W" vs SL
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 12:05:23 AM »
Stevo.........It is worth hauling!

I rescued an SR2 gen set a few years back with the intention of rebuilding. Never got around to it, but it eventually went to another member who now has it in service. Don't let it go to the scrap yard! Someone out there will want it even if you may not have a use for it. You may be the saviour, but not the end user......no matter.
They are not makin' 'em any more!
Cheers,
Hugh
JKson 6/1  (Utterpower PMG ) Off-grid
Lister 6/1 Start-O-Matic engine......running with PMG
1978 Royal Enfield (glutton for punishment by Indian iron)
1963 BMW R-27 project

stevo42

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 02:40:08 AM »
Yes, it would be nice to see it get put back into service but unfortunately I have no more room for broken engines. Hopefully the owner can find a new home for it up here in NW Washington state, lots of boats around here.

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 03:19:51 PM »
Would a ST2 (raw water cooled) Lister be of any value as a "parts engine"?

Not unless you have another STW2 engine, as most of the water cooled components are specific to the STW range (some items will fit the Lister SRW engine range from which it was originally developed), and the expensive/hard to get bits like water cooled exhaust manifold and the top water rail are specific to the STW2 engine (these are the bits that usually rust from the inside out on raw water cooled engines, that have not benefited from having had frequent sacrificial anode replacement). Further more due to its low profile flat top design the injectors are unique to that engine, although the injector body is the same as the Lister TS range.

Here is an example of the top water rail on ebay uk at present: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Lister-Petter-202-91280-Water-Rail-Manifold-STW2-STWM2-202-91040-Marine-/131854010389 and if I had a STW2 or SRW2 engine. I would buy both for spares as that is a good price.

However back to your inquiry, it is highly likely this STW2 will be fitted with the Lister LH150 hydraulic gearbox, if for nothing else get it for that item alone, as good s/h LH150 boxes are now becoming very hard to find, and in the UK reconditioned versions go for telephone number prices even with a core exchange.

The STW like its SRW relative was originally an air cooled engine that Lister's converted to water cooling [much like the VW Wasserboxer DG 1.9 flat 4 engine was a converted air cooled engine], they can and do leak prolifically on the head gaskets (I use the term head gasket loosely because it is a combination of steel shims and rubber O rings). If not attended to a leaking head gasket will then contribute to the cylinder head / block studs seizing in the cylinder blocks, making cylinder block removal an interesting process.

stevo42

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 07:27:16 PM »
Thank you very much for that information. I'll pass that on to the owner. You mentioned the water cooled exhaust manifold, I did notice that it was totally rusted out. I appreciate your help.

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 02:32:43 PM »
You mentioned the water cooled exhaust manifold, I did notice that it was totally rusted out.

They always are, it is rare to find one that is not completely rusted out! Back in the day the usual budget solution was to revert back to a conventional exhaust manifold, and redirect the cooling water pipework that connects to the exhaust manifold accordingly.

The only disadvantages of this modification are: pipework modifications, and slight increases in engine room temperature and noise levels

stevo42

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 04:23:51 PM »
Thanks for the "work around" Good to keep that in mind.