Puppeteer

Author Topic: CS 12/2 Sorting out the Cylinders, Pistons and Rings  (Read 2186 times)

Samo

• View Profile
CS 12/2 Sorting out the Cylinders, Pistons and Rings
« on: May 19, 2017, 12:03:00 PM »
Hey folks,

Took my 12/2 Heads, cylinders and pistons to the local machine shop. They mostly recondition engine heads, but they've been around 30 or so years so they've some experience with all sorts of machines and the work to keep them running.

They will check the valve seats and remove some stuck studs, and the COVs - tried with everything I have.... :(

Also because the RHS piston was seized (now free) the bore is pitted and will need some work. Both cylinders have been sleeved, and the machinist recommend boring it out maybe 10 thou.

He also mentioned I'd need new pistons to go with that... So do I? I can see oversize rings, out to +30 thou, but nothing about oversize pistons. So appreciate a lesson in cylinder/piston/ring options if someone has the time? I have 38AC's Lister specs from the WOK article, but that didn't answer my question, or I'm too thick to work it out. ;)

Thanks

Samo
Lister CS 12/2 & JKSON 10/1 Listeroid

broncodriver99

• View Profile
Re: CS 12/2 Sorting out the Cylinders, Pistons and Rings
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 12:50:27 PM »
Yes, you will need an oversized piston in whatever diameter they need to bore to clean up the cylinder. They are available but I don't see them listed anywhere either. I picked up my .010 oversize piston from Gary at DES.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: CS 12/2 Sorting out the Cylinders, Pistons and Rings
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 04:56:34 PM »
O/S pistons/rings are in stock for most any bore size needed. If they can re-sleeve your jugs again?, then it may possibly be preferable to go that way with standard size parts. Just a thought because some of the repair sleeves I have seen used are somewhat thin-walled to start out with.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations