Author Topic: New home for the Roid... and all the other toys.  (Read 555 times)

glort

• View Profile
New home for the Roid... and all the other toys.
« on: May 02, 2017, 07:26:44 AM »

Finally, after... I can't remember how much searching, Finally found somewhere to keep the diesel works of art out the weather.

The search was long, extremely frustrating and at some points completely demoralizing.  I'm glad it's over and i'm more glad that it's over and I didn't strangle or punch some Ship for brains low life agent out and get locked up. Although with some, it would have been worth it.  I didn't cut this last guy any slack even though I sensed he was OK.  Walked up to the place and put him on the spot straight off so he knew I meant business and wasn't going to frig around like I had been before. Like I say, only way to win at negotiations is be prepared to loose.  Thankfully, this time I won.

The garage is 10.5x6m. I'm allowed to have 100sqm so I'll put on a small extension to the back with another shed the same size (  :laugh:) ) and also look at going to the side to make a rumpus room and put a carport out the front.  Just may neglect to tell council about it.  I'll have it all built to or above standard but going to skip the red tape.  I'll try and be a tight arse and hire a small excavator and do some of the work myself.  At least if I can do the rough  foundations it should save me a fair bit of money.  There is absolutely no truth to the vicious rumors spread by the chief cook and bottle washer that I just want to play with a real life Tonka toy.

I'm looking forward to setting the toys up in a permanent location and having a crack at balancing the roid. Unlike my usual Self, I'd like to make a real neat showpiece corner or wall for this.  Put in a back wall, maybe see if I can find some memorabilia to put up, paint the floor so spills can be wiped up and fool myself in other ways I imagine most people have when doing something similar.  I'd like to make a switchboard, particularly If I can find some old fashioned looking gauges and do a remote stitch off so I don't have to go out at night to turn it off If I don't want to.
Might break convention and have old meets new with some electronics and controls.

The place has 3 Phase power with one phase oddly on one of those wretched smart meters. I'll look at moving everything I can off it as the other 2 meters are conventional which I can backfeed with the engines and the solar. The smart meter also controls the off peak hot water which I have already bought a switch for to change it between the solar and mains feed.  Luckily I'm going to have all the roof space I need to put up as much solar as I want.

Be keen to see some links or pics of other peoples installations and any tips or advise.

I'm thinking I'll get the large timbers I " acquired" from the construction of the shipfight they built next door, dress them up and lacquer them ( except on the bottom) then glue and bolt them to the floor and mount the Roid and other engines and things on that.  Might keep my eye out for a used engine crane to help with teh shifting and loading which I can always sell when I'm done.
I'll be in need of a ride on for the place as well and wish I could find a diesel for that but haven't seen any affordable in many years of looking.  Would be cool to Freak the neighbors out with a a truck like smoke stack belching the aroma of Fish and chips on a Saturday Morning or afternoon!

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: New home for the Roid... and all the other toys.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 10:24:36 AM »
They're artist's impressions, right? No way is there that much colour anywhere in the world... let alone Australia which I thought was universally Light Brown???

Seriously nice looking place mate, good luck with it!

BTW, cheapest I've found a Chinese single at 1-off prices so far is US$370...
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
1x Lister JP4 :D
Back in the UK :) Just need to find a use for the JP now!

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 10:44:01 AM »
Nice place Glort!!!

When you moving?

Ade - Cheapest Chinese single I found was $100/hr...

Lol
Ed
12/1 750RPM/9HP Roid 5kVA- WMO Disposal/Electricity & Hot Water Gen
12/1 650RPM/8HP Roid 4.5kVa - Demon Dino
Chinese Yanmar - Silent Runner with AutoStart
Classic Komatsu 1963 Dozer/Fergusson 35 Gold Belly ...
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 11:34:58 AM »
They're artist's impressions, right? No way is there that much colour anywhere in the world... let alone Australia which I thought was universally Light Brown???

Seriously nice looking place mate, good luck with it!

BTW, cheapest I've found a Chinese single at 1-off prices so far is US$370...

Yeah, As a photographer myself I'm still sometimes taken in by the amount of Photoshopping they do to these Pics.  Been caught a few times with places where they make a 6x6 Ft bedroom look like it has the space of a grand ballroom.  Grinds me to tears.  I thought I had the widest lens Commercially available but these RE guys must have something custom made!  They are extra Cunning too. We looked at one place last weekend where they had clearly bought in those people who furnish the house just for inspections and the beds were like 3/4 size to make the rooms look bigger.  My short arse wife laid on one and even her feet came to the end.
Very dodgy.

The colour I don't notice so much because I can do that and know it's unrealistic so it just kind of goes over my head as automatic BS.

That said, You may be impressed with how green things are here atm.  Pretty much only stopped raining a week ago after an almost 6 week non stop drenching.  The areas around this place which are largely cow Paddocks are in fact lush and green.  If you stand too long on the grass it will grow up between your toes atm.  Been having unseasonably warm weather  (I LOVE GloBull warming, who the heck wants cold??) which isn't hurting.
I planted some Tomatoes last week, exactly 2 seasons out, the things are going gang busters. Can't wait to put them in the aquaponics system.  I'll have tomato soup before winter is out!

Just hoping to hell now the wet weather is gone. Need to pack up all my junk and move it.
 A mate of mine said today you have so much work to clean out your shed.  I said no, not at all. I'm just going to take what I want and set fire to the rest......   :laugh:

What size was the engine?  Have you had any luck with a freight quote yet? Been going to message you but didn't want to be a pest.
Would be awesome to have a nice new toy to put in the nice new shed!
I'd look at bringing in a few if the freight wasn't a killer.  I'll be in the right place to sell a few.
Seeing as I'm going to need a ride on mower now, if you come across any vertical shaft diesels, please let me know. Bet I could sell a shipload of those!

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 12:05:54 PM »
Nice place Glort!!!

When you moving?

Ade - Cheapest Chinese single I found was $100/hr...

Lol
Ed

Normal turnaround time here is 6 weeks so the way things go for me will probably be 8.
So much to do in that time aside from packing.
People have been saying today are you excited? Truth is I have been a bit emotional.  I guess it's a weight lifted and a realisation this is really happening.  Only lived in 2 houses since a kid and this has been the longest.
The place was my wifes parents and their parents before that. Been in the family exactly 75 Years. I hate breaking traditions but the Mrs has had enough here, unfortunately now too many bad memories and in light of things that have happened, we need to make a fresh start before we loose our minds completely.

I don't take change well and I know I'm probably going to be depressed before I am happy but I guess, going on what everyone of greater rationality than I are saying, something I have to do.
I have lived on a main road 25 years now and the country is going to be an extreme change.
I said to my wife the other day, you know we are going to ship ourselves out there don't you?  She asked why and I said we hear 2-10 sirens an hour here and take no notice at all.
We are going to hear one out there after about 6 Months and fill our shorts wondering what the hell is going on and if the world is coming to an end!

I certainly won't miss the sound of morons screaming up and down the road in loud cars and ear splitting bikes.  I have a Harley myself so not against a bit of an engine noise but there is a limit and these guys cross it 10 times a day.... or hour.  How I have kept my sanity and not just lost it and taken up a comfy position on the front Verandah with a .30 cal and a 30 Round mag picking them off I'll never know.  Lord knows, plenty of them deserve it. How I have not strangled the neighbor next door and just fed the body through a tree Chipper into a hole with a few bags of lime is another minor Miracle.
I have had my fun over the years. I built a sound switch from an electronics kit and wired it to one of my high power studio Flashes which I put in the front side window.
They would scream past and the flash would fire, you could hear them jump off the throttle straight away and more than one that went cruising up and down the road looking for the hidden speed camera.

For all that, I am going to miss the place and am still somewhat scared of being somewhere else.  Late at Night, when it's quiet here, I often just go out and stand on the back patio and look at the stars and smell the air and get a lot of comfort and contentment being here. Hope I can do the same at the next place.

One day we'll drive by and the place won't be here anymore and that will be a sad day too. So many people have been in this house, both my wifes family and mine that are no longer here and it will be like a memory of them has been eased as well.  I was doing a count the other day. Probably 30 people have been here with us that are here no longer now. Everyone tells me to look forward and not back but I am a very sentimental guy and this will play on my mind for a while.

Guess I have to look on the bright side. I have 6-8 weeks left to terrorise that mongeral next door and make sure he never forgets me.

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 01:47:42 PM »
What size was the engine?  Have you had any luck with a freight quote yet? Been going to message you but didn't want to be a pest.
Would be awesome to have a nice new toy to put in the nice new shed!
I'd look at bringing in a few if the freight wasn't a killer.  I'll be in the right place to sell a few.
Seeing as I'm going to need a ride on mower now, if you come across any vertical shaft diesels, please let me know. Bet I could sell a shipload of those!

This should have it's own thread really....

OK, that's a 12hp engine (R195 equivalent). Weighs about 145ish kg. Size 910x440x740mm in its crate (so that's a bit less than 3ft by just over 1 ft by just over 2ft for you 'mericans)

Shipping's a tough one. I'd found a UK company who quoted me less than 500 air freight (for a single unit), but I'm getting the chills trying to deal with him - things don't add up... so I'll probably ditch him. Best quote the Chinese have given me is 10.5rmb per kg (air freight again), but I'm not sure I believe that one. Sea shipping should be fairly cheap FOB... but I need to find a freight forwarder who will handle it landing at the port, getting it through customs, etc.

Vertical shaft diesels? Haven't seen anything like that I'm afraid. There seem to be two styles of smaller engine - the horizontal single/twin, and the little aircooled vertical.

Cheers!
Ade.
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
1x Lister JP4 :D
Back in the UK :) Just need to find a use for the JP now!

LowGear

• Casey
  • From now on! If it ain't diesel - I aint goin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 04:43:16 PM »
Looks great.  Very pretty front and a real meat and potatoes shop to the rear.  Nice.

Here in the states we have what is called "The Buyers Agent".  This is where the fiduciary relationship is between the buyer and agent.  It has worked well for us.  Incidentally, two of the squarest shooters I've known are real estate agents.  They work in a sea of beginners and sharks.  A very tough business.

Blessed be the jpg.  Shall wonders never cease?

Best wishes in this new act of your life.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017, 03:43:14 AM »

Best wishes in this new act of your life.

Thanks Mate.  After events of the last 2 years, I certainly hope it's a completely new life.
I have sat on my arse depressed and sick for a few years now but I can't see where I am going to have time to breathe from here untill at least Christmas.
First there will be the moving then there will be some painting etc on the new joint along with arranging the garage extensions, Fitting out the studio, building outdoor entertaining area....I literally hope I survive it!
Shitting myself about moving all my junk though. That will be a mammoth task.

Went and signed the papers last night so it's officially ours in 8 weeks. Just as I predicted, Today there are 3 new properties on the market in the area after there being about 1-2 a month for the last 12 months or so we have been looking. 2 of them are no good but one..... I'll go look on Saturday just to make sure. We have a 10 day cooling off period here so we could change our minds still if we wanted...... Don't think that will happen though. The Mrs is the type that gets emotionally attached to everything she looks at that she half likes.  She's a very easy sell but having fallen for this one...  Would take a LOT to change her mind.
Lucky for me I spose. If she wasn't like that she would have left me for a decent bloke years ago.

After signing the papers we dropped into the outlaws whom live a few streets away then cruised by the new digs.  Fk me it's dark out there. I live on a main road where you can read a book from the streetlights in the back yard let alone the front. I could see lights on in the house but no way I could see the house itself.  My father lives in the country proper but it's not that dark out there somehow.  And quiet. OMG. That is going to take some getting used to. Again, in the country it's quieter than my fathers place. At least at night you can hear the trucks faintly on the highway.... out there, We'll hear the Neighbors drop a Pin!
Sound of the Roid will be heard all over the district.l Might have some old Cow Cockys turning up from the retirement home a couple of streets back wanting to relive bygone days.
I'll be sure to have a comfy seat for them and a cuppa tea and some scones at the ready.

I am looking forward to exploring the area. There will be a lot of old places to find nearby and a lot of photo opportunities as well. Never done any landscape work really but I can see that soon changing.

It's going to be hard for me as I'm not at all good with change, letting go of the past or looking forward to the future but I think I'll come around. Worst case, the property values in that area have gone up even crizier than where I am now so I could always afford to move back although people would probably have me committed if I wanted to.

The wife and I are looking forward to getting back to our Businesses.  She has already applied at the local council for a day job where she was offered a job a couple of years back before everything turned to crap.  She was better off to stay where she was at the time but now it's going to be so far away, time for something new there as well.  She works hard enough now and is exhausted time she gets home, another 90 min to 2 hours a day travel won't help that and certainly not my Nerves.  My mother was killed in a car crash traveling long distances to work and home when I was 10 and the fear and stress doesn't leave you.   It was a condition of moving to the area she got a closer job. She said the other day that all the people she knew and liked working with are leaving anyway and her old boss she got on with well is now at the local place so she is pretty much a shoe is as soon as a position comes up.

She used to have a party plan business she did part time that was ridiculously lucrative.  She could consistently  NET $1000-1200 for 3-4 Hours work and that was some time back.  Due to her full time work and the kids she found it too much and gave it away although she did miss it and we certainly missed the money she made from it.
The area we are going should be ideal for the concept and she can work locally without having to go too far. If she can consistently get 2 a week she can leave the day job and just work weekends and become a lady of Leisure.... and help me with my thing.  I said to her last night, we only need to get a job each every fortnight and we will be able to afford a lot of luxuries and spoil ourselves and our Daughter.
I'd really like to buy her a house when she gets married.  If things go as I conservatively hope with my thing and the Mrs, that will be achievable.  I will talk to the accountant once things settle down and discuss buying an investment property to help work towards that.

All I can hope now is that this, which will be the home straight of my days will be a hell of a lot better, happier and trouble free than the previous 50 years.

Thob

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2017, 02:44:29 PM »
Congratulations on the new place.

I'm looking forward to seeing a new oil burner video from your new place, complete with the safety section!  I think I look forward to the safety section as much as the rest of the video  ;D
Witte 98RC Gas burner - Kubota D600 w/ST7.5KW head.
I'm not afraid to take anything apart.
I am sometimes afraid I'm not going to get it back together.

vdubnut62

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2017, 05:33:10 AM »
Yes, I thoroughly enjoy the safety sections also.  Keep it Flaming/Burning/Smoking/Flaring etc.! ;D
Ron. 
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."   Plato.

The fine art of B.S. is not found in what is said, but in its plausibility.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2017, 07:39:10 AM »
Thanks Guys.

I am planning on doing a mega aluminium melt this week.  Been cleaning up and discovered so much I forgot I had put away. I intend to make an area under cover at the new place for doing vids.  Might even put lights and all for proper productions. I might be able to get a few in before I leave, see how I go.  Maybe I can do safety In moving house vids?

Geez it's going to be hard leaving here.  Physically and more over, mentally.