Author Topic: Reboring Lister D  (Read 7562 times)

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
Re: Reboring Lister D
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2017, 08:04:09 PM »
About 3/4 of the time, just the left handed drills will do the trick for me. Snap On makes a really nice set of lh drills and extractors. And if it doesn't tap to the old thread (unlikely, but possible) just helicoil it. If the studs are that bad, use the cylinder for a guide and transfer punch the centers of the studs. Do the drilling in a drill press if you have access to one.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

bullgoose

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2017, 06:16:16 AM »
I Don`t have a pillar drill big enough I`m afraid and as the block has to go in to an engineering shop I will just leave it to them. All I have to do is buy an plus 20 thou piston just to make sure the re bore takes as some of the pits are deep ish. I think I will polish the crank at 20 degree intervals around the journal while trying the fit of the new main bearing until it`s a reasonably tight fit instead of the way the old one was.
During this week I have primed and painted everything except the block casting and have cleaned all the nuts/ bolts and studs for inspection. They seem ok and I will use as many original fittings as I can except washers which I will replace.

bullgoose

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2017, 01:28:18 PM »
I wonder if anyone can help with the amount of clearance needed when re boring a Lister D. The local engineering shop where I am having the re bore carried out just called and asked me what size I wanted the bore taken out to for the new plus 20 thou piston as he had no experience of cast iron pistons.
He said the piston was 3.018 at the skirt and smaller at the top but had no idea what the clearance per inch of piston dia should be. I thought it should be the size of the piston skirt plus 4 thou. Am I right about this?
thanks
Mick

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2017, 03:24:59 PM »
PM me your email, and I will send you some data on CI piston clearances.

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2017, 10:44:06 AM »
/\ /\ You have got mail  :)