Author Topic: Lister Startomatic.....not the usual kind. Looking for wiring diagrams!  (Read 5223 times)

benny2000

• View Profile
Hi everyone. I have attached lots of pics, including the rating plates with Plant numbers and so forth.
Really hoping someone may have the wiring diagrams and operators manual for this magical old plant.
I just brought it home yesterday. It is very much like my other CS 8/1 based 4.5 KW startomatics, but this one has a 9/1 or "JP1" engine, and a much bigger alternator, and an enormous control panel.
It is apparently 6.25kva, with 0.8 power factor. It used to run a multi head shearing station, from 1953, right up till 2005. This was a lucky find, cooling tank, fuel tank, cast iron muffler, everything seems to be here except the beautiful gauges off the panel. I'm told some shearer or another decided to pocket those when the plant was finally taken out of service and replaced with a modern genset.
Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out here with the wiring diagrams.

Cheers, From Australia.

benny2000

• View Profile
Adding some more pics.

Samo

• View Profile
Hi Benny,

Nice find! I'm thinking you found it in Oz somewhere, given the gum trees?

Samo
Lister CS 12/2 & JKSON 10/1 Listeroid

Samo

• View Profile
And the fact you said Australia in the top post  :-[
Lister CS 12/2 & JKSON 10/1 Listeroid

robby H

• View Profile
HI there
try and contact the museum of internal fire , they are in the Cardigan bay area of wales UK( not nsw).they have helped me out with engine and and startomatic
wiring information  on a Lister HA 10kw year of manufacture 1963 . The contact name I have dealt with is Paul Evans, very helpful indeed
best of luck.

Robby.
Portsmouth UK

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Kohler also built some sets with a similar configuration to Start-O-Matic in the 1960's and 1970's. Simply turn on a light switch and the generator would come to life... then the system would shut down shortly after the load was removed. Those were done without any electronics, just a smart set of 12 volt relays. I will have to take a look and see if we can find any of the schematics for those... does anyone else know about these?

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

BruceM

• View Profile
The 12VDC bias on the AC approach was used elsewhere as well- in around 1974 I visited a family at an off grid home/hunting camp who had a similar setup which fired up a large automotive engine based generator for the hunting camp. I think it required a 60 watt lamp to auto-start.  Some company must have been selling this, as the owner was not a technically oriented guy.

My concern today would be electronics-  the start up circuit on many switching power supplies would fry with the 12V bias, over time, so it would require some thought about what your loads are, etc.  Problematic loads would include such things as arc detecting breakers, LED lamps, CFLs left on, with not enough load to trigger a start. They could potentially burn up on the 12v bias. 

Still, very useful for someone with an understanding of the limitations.