Puppeteer

Author Topic: waste oil use over view.  (Read 16170 times)

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
Re: waste oil use over view.
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2017, 03:03:09 PM »
Thanks Glort,

Regarding ULP (Called RUG here in Canada), I found the same vapor issues as you, but in a different way.
My particular Listeroid model (smaller GM90 series) is a direct injection engine. I was attempting to drop the wvo viscosity to a level where the smaller injector nozzles could still provide a spray similar to regular diesel fuel.
During my viscosimeter testing with various blends, I realized that all my tests were being done at room temperature.
It then occurred to me that to get a true value of what viscosity my blend would be when injected, I need to warm the mixture to engine temperature and then test the viscosity.
Warming the various blends to 190f certainly did have a big effect on the wvo viscosity, however it also caused the blends with 20% gasoline to bubble violently and release a lot of vapors. So, unless under pressure from the injection system, ULP blends will be volatile. I can understand your point about gasoline vapor becoming an issue on some engines.

cheers,
Veggie
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2017, 05:28:24 PM »
When blending we also need to recognize that RUG and ULP are blended different for region and season. Vegie's summer blend RUG may not boil at 190F. I'm still sitting on 110 gal of hydrogenated soybean oil that is a thick glop at room temp. I might try drying some and seeing if it clears up.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2017, 01:23:15 AM »
Glort's solution of burning the washed gasoline alcohol/water for diesel water injection...wow.  Very truly green guy. 

dax021

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2017, 09:43:52 AM »
Hi Glort, maybe a silly question, but at what point do blend in the ULP, during the drying/filtering stage, or after you have decanted into storage drums?  Also, does the blend stay mixed, or does it separate out with standing?

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2017, 02:09:09 PM »
I love the idea of simply washing the alcohol out of ULP! Tempted to do that on the fuel I feed my Jag road car (4 litre supercharged)... the only thing I'd wonder is, would that wash out any of the other additives they put in there?
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

dax021

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2017, 07:19:29 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  I have heard of guys chucking mothballs (naphtha) into a tank of petrol.  Supposed to boost the octane level.  Here in South Africa we don't get 97/98 octane anymore, best is 95 and only at the coast.  My old Hilux is supposed to run on 98 so pinks with the lower octane.  I haven't tried the mothballs yet though.