Author Topic: Good News! Power shortages coming my way! :laugh:  (Read 9724 times)

guest22972

Good News! Power shortages coming my way! :laugh:
« on: March 12, 2017, 04:27:31 AM »

Saw a report today that the energy department is predicting power shortages around much of the nation by the end of next year.
Due to the various Gubbermints here trying to reach stupid renewable energy targets to keep the green do gooders happy, a number of traditional coal fired power stations have been closed down.  So far we have had 2 major grid shutdowns, the first taking out an entire state and the 2nd taking out most of it. Both cost industry HUNDREDS of millions. Steelworks  came to grinding halts not to mention production in other facilities where a stoppage meant mass wastage.

Industries are now saying they are going to cancel expansion plans and look to go overseas where the power supply is more reliable.  Great thing for the country that is and in the Big picture, saves Fuck all emissions, BS gasses and all the rest of it.
As well as an electricity shortage, the other resource this country is floating on, gas, is also coming into short supply.  There have been a lot of bans put in place against Fracking ( which I am in favour of given it's more than established track record) but we are still exporting loads of gas overseas which makes no sense at all.  Sell the food you have to make money while you starve to death yourself.  Brilliant strategy!  ::)

I remember as a small boy blackouts were pretty common. Always lived in major City Surburbia but everyone had candles and matches and torches at the ready for regular use.
My Grandmother was always adamant on having a gas stove. My Grandfather was a shift worker and she maintained she  could always cook him a hot dinner when he got home by candle light on a gas stove where having an electric left the completely unacceptable possibility of him not coming home at midnight or 5 am to a hot meal. 
Gas shortages were unheard of then but Gran would be dissapointed now.  Probably not really. She would have grandad install a 2nd Stove hooked up to bottled gas.
She was more concerned with him having a full on cooked dinner when he got home than he ever was as I recall.

Finally My roid and various engines and power generation setups may come into their own.  I may well be the only one with lights on in the place before long.  Don't know how long it will last though. We have a new political party on the scene now that offer's a real choice to the other clowns and they don't have any of the PC correctness on a whole range of things the other morons do.  They are out to put the country and the average person first rather than look after themselves and their elite bum chums.
Once the lights start going out and you are not allowed to have your AC going, you can bet there will be a scramble to build new power stations ( as they have literally in a stroke of predictable Genius) blown many of the old ones up. You can bet they will also put a ban on high power demand appliances.... Like charging your electric car.
Won't that put the green goobers in a hissy fit if that happens? Product of their own idiocy!

All this trendy, stylish BS has driven the cost of power through the roof in many parts and rebuilding power stations to ensure a reliable supply is not going to make it any cheaper obviously.
Maybe I should be looking to invest in a couple of containers of Chinese Horizontal  Generators and change over switches and get a Veg oil Collection company going to offer cut price Fuel for the things.  Buying up all the used Solar panels I can find, getting in a forklift battery pack and a serious inverter may also be smart on a personal level.
Wonder if anyone in China does 24V Fridges or even Kero/ diesel Fueled ones?

ALL of the Greenwashed pacification Schemes we have had here over the last 7-8 years have been unmitigated disasters. There is a substantial Death toll associated with them, they have been that bad not to mention the BILLIONS of dollars pissed up the wall already.
Now it looks like we are headed for a real Doozy of a cockup with our power supply.

These people really have no limits to their stupidity. On another forum I look ( and laugh at) one of the greenwashed Moderators whom won't have a word whispered against renewable energy or any other green feel good today started a thread about a project he is working on.
His bright idea to save the planet and Co2 emissions, yada yada, is to program Crapple phones and Muckbooks to NOT recharge their batteries during peak grid Demand times.
He wants to interface them with the Grid supply authority in Eurpoe where he is and monitor power useage so the things only charge in off peak periods to ease the load of Fossil fueled power stations.

Yeah, can you imagine the load all those Phones, Iplads and laptops put on the grid as a percentage? Must be almost calculable if you go to 19 digits!  This is the kind of stupid and idiotic mentality that has got us into all these messes and no doubt a heap more in the future.  And can anyone show me any demonstrable improvement this has made to the world as a whole? No, because there has been none, just a lot of feel good crap designed to empty your pockets into the coffers of Big Biz and gubbermints.

When the lights do start going out, I might yet go from a nutter and DIY'er to a Visionary and authority worth hundreds an hour for my Consultation and guidance!

Maybe I better look at buying up this forum and charging a joining fee for all newcomers.  50X rate for anyone who craps on about the environment and saving the planet.

oldgoat

• View Profile
Re: Good News! Power shortages coming my way! :laugh:
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 10:42:12 AM »
Maybe I am a cynic but this seems to be laying the ground work for yet another increase in energy prices. Because of the outcry about electricity prices in various states the companies realize they need to provide reason for the next price hike. This prediction is from  AEMO whose can't manage to get enough generators on line when there is an excursion from normal demand. It seems strange that electricity workers are considered to be essential service employees and have legislation forbidding them to withdraw their labour yet generators can tell AEMO to get stuffed if the price isn't right.

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 05:50:30 PM »
I remember as a small boy blackouts were pretty common. Always lived in major City Surburbia but everyone had candles and matches and torches at the ready for regular use.

Was this before

Due to the various Gubbermints here trying to reach stupid renewable energy targets to keep the green do gooders happy, a number of traditional coal fired power stations have been closed down.

This is why the US is starting such a great experiment.  We have decided to be great again and we're doing it by going back to the standards of the early 20th century.  Yup, we're gonna do really clever stuff like build coal fired power plants even though forms of natural gas are cheaper.  Even though wind and solar are about the same price.  Yes, by 1920 standards we shall be great again.  I wonder if the incandescent light bulb is on it's way back?

You know glort; while you've got you're stuff all packed for the big move maybe you should just put it on a ship and come to America and our celebration of the demise of our Environmental Protection Agency.  We already have given the need to dump coal crap into our streams back to the coal companies.  This shall surely help our trek back to greatness and you could share in the glory. 

Casey
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 05:57:19 PM by LowGear »
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

vdubnut62

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 04:31:27 AM »
Casey, where did your specific information about going back to the standards of the early 20th century come from? The electric industry has the capability to scrub the emission from coal-fired electric plants to a very high standard. The Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) has been doing this here for years. I would rather have "clean" coal plants than nukes, although neither one is very clean in the long run in my opinion. Wind is a joke in most locales, and large scale solar only slightly less so. Until the magic UFO zero point energy that is limitless, pollution-less, cost-less, fuel-less, and guilt-less is released as a wonderful giant Unicorn Fart we are left with what proven technology we have.
 There are usually differences in what the liberal media reports and fact.
Ron.
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."   Plato.

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 08:37:51 AM »
Aloha glort,

I often have trouble determining if you posts are in agreeance with what has been said or taking the piss?.
  I want to answer "Yes" but I'll control my sarcasm for a moment. 

I come to this site and Micro Co-Gen to witness, learn and to have fun.  When I read someone wanting to take a piss on the planet in the name of this or that I feel it's my responsibility to screw with them.  Some are great sports like you and some are not.  The phrase is "Trial and Error" and not "Trial and Success". 

As for the US of A and the new direction many of us campers are not happy.  We think the campsite should be cleaner when we leave than when we arrived.  I'm glad you caught the real odor of my post.

Hi vdubnut62,

I only look into my back yard and see what solar has done for us.  We are on our 10th year or so and have saved thousands and thousands of dollars.   Friday we were still pulling 6 KWH out of the system.  OK; It was a beautiful day and it's the dry season.  As you know; No media gets it absolutely right.  They are selling information and they have a target audience.  Most of us cannot take the truth so we have CNN, FOX and for me PBS.  I ask that others on this thread mention how chasing the sustainable power pony has improved your life.  I'd read about systems on this very site that make mine look like milk toast on a camp fire.

I'm very skeptical about clean coal.  But it doesn't matter as it's simply too costly whether it's clean or just plain down and dirty.  And dumping coal into streams is just plain suicidal and is a hint of what's to come.  Why do you believe they have any thought of clean coal?  I don't want a nuclear waste storage vault in my state either.  Norway, yeah Norway is on it's way to sustainable power.  I'd recommend you take a look at articles about them in your favored news system.

But I speak to the yesteryears.  Better stuff costs more! 

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 04:50:00 PM »

I'm very skeptical about clean coal.  But it doesn't matter as it's simply too costly whether it's clean or just plain down and dirty.  And dumping coal into streams is just plain suicidal and is a hint of what's to come.  Why do you believe they have any thought of clean coal?  I don't want a nuclear waste storage vault in my state either.  Norway, yeah Norway is on it's way to sustainable power.  I'd recommend you take a look at articles about them in your favored news system.

But I speak to the yesteryears.  Better stuff costs more! 

Casey
[/quote]

G'day Casey.

Down here in New Zealand - at the other end of the planet from Norway - we have political correctness so bad it hurts . . . .

But we do have almost completely renewable power.

Our Hydro system is largely 40+ years old so it was built in the days before a green lobbying industry made it more difficult to build hydro, but still trickles along and acts as the "battery" to allow domestic solar and large-scale wind farms to operate

We have a few - largely mothballed - coal or gas plants; they're more emergency backup stuff than anything else

There's only four million of us, and our government is almost completely captured by industry . . . if a little country like us can manage it . . .

quinnbrian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 08:07:21 PM »
In Canada the green thing..(new carbon tax) just sent 500 jobs and one General Motors plant south.....to Mexico .With a lot more company's thinking the same thing...Mexico here they come!
Isn't "green" great!
I thought there was new talks, about keeping the coal plants going...life is great...in Mexico !!

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 01:17:00 PM »
Currently visiting my parents on the east coast, in the middle of the nor'easter today.   We're on the fringe (Cape Cod) and don't have much here in the forecast, but Dads got a 3600rmp screamer in the basement "just in case" .  I don't want to be yanking on the pull cord of that.

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 01:56:57 PM »
It is interesting when researching "who" is purchasing coal mines and generating starions after affiliated special interst groups have forced the industry  into bankruptcy. 

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 04:33:02 AM »
Looks like a very interesting few years ahead.  I was hoping there would be more response to "What I've Done With Self Investment In The Energy Field."  With a big underline on "I've".

I'm very happy with our solar investment and truly believe the tax credits have served many people well.  We got a $20,000 system for about $12,000.  The solar suppliers liked our tax credited dollars.  I'm believing that SolarWorld (Portland, Oregon, USA) liked our tax credited dollars.  Does anyone think SMA (someplace, Germany then, Arizona? today) was offended by our tax credited dollars.  The local people that helped me had smiles on their faces as I handed them tax credited dollars.  And I'm guessing the local grocers were happy to pay for their inventory, plant, equipment and labor with the tax credited dollars that the personnel spent at their stores.  I'm sure you get the message.  HELCO (Hawaii Inergy Company) is not.  I buy less bilge oil produced power from them now.  They got the Public Utilities Commission to castrate the grid tie program here as many public utilities are doing around the US.  My next solar expansion will include disconnecting from them.

I run the farm truck on French Fry oil much of the time.  The truck runs fine and the exhaust is a pleasure to share with my neighbors.  But worry not my Saudi brothers and sisters.  The tractor is a petroleum mainliner.  Some stuff works and some stuff don't.  Do you guys have any idea how much the US spends on military programs in the middle east to stabilize the transportation of petroleum for the world.  I'm thinking it makes my $8000 once in a lifetime subsidy look like chicken feed.

Wouldn't it be smarter to retrain the coal miners towards modern needs like respiratory illness therapy?   ;D

Casey

NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

vdubnut62

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2017, 11:43:07 PM »
I didn't say anything about dumping coal waste into rivers! Look I live here, I see what happens for myself. The ash that did end up in a river here was the result of an earth tremor that destabilized the dam of a holding pond and it failed. All that ash came from the Clinch river steam plant. I will concede that I have no idea what the pond was holding the ash for. That mess has been cleaned up, the Omnipotent EPA has fined the piss out of the TVA for their faux pas. That media again, it seems that fact and what they report as fact are not the same.
  Here is the rundown on what TVA operates to provide power for 9 million people in 7 states.

8 fossil plants (35 active units)
    3 nuclear plants (seven units)
    29 hydro plants (109 units)
    1 pumped storage hydroelectric plant (four units)
    9 natural gas combustion-turbine plants (87 units)
    7 natural gas combined-cycle plants (12 units)
    1 diesel-generator site (five units)
    14 solar energy sites
    1 wind-energy site

I wonder who got the slap on the wrist for the Animas river disaster  in Colorado that was far, far worse than what happened with TVA.
 Nobody! A Federal Agency police itself? Unheard of.

My point is that  clean renewable sources simply can't keep up at the current levels of use.  I don't like it either, but choices are limited.
Ron.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 11:45:13 PM by vdubnut62 »
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."   Plato.

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2017, 11:11:22 AM »
People!  Please stop holding back.  It's not good for you and besides, we're all adults here.

Like so many progressive minded people I'm really surprised at the frustration with change.  It's the only real constant. 

Any suggestions on a good electric car?

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2017, 12:24:00 PM »
People!  Please stop holding back.  It's not good for you and besides, we're all adults here.

Like so many progressive minded people I'm really surprised at the frustration with change.  It's the only real constant.  

Any suggestions on a good electric car?

Casey

My neighbor's wife has one of the Chevy electrics. She seems to like it and says it does well. Me personally, I am going to skip the whole electric car and wait for the one that runs on rainbows and unicorn farts. Unless of course they come up with one that runs on Care Bear power, then I am definitely on board. Should be much better for the environment.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 12:26:45 PM by broncodriver99 »

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2017, 06:31:59 PM »
An electric vehicle is not can never be a universal replacement for ICE vehicles. The cost is too high, too much weight, too much bulk and too low of energy density .
   An EV is workable for households that have short round trip commutes or a 2nd puddle jumper vehicle for short range errands .
    Regarding saving money? Compare the up front purchase cost of a Chevy Sonic gasser vs the same chassis in an all electric Bolt.  The Bolt will never "save " enough money to be cheaper per mile than the sonic .
    Now if you are a Social Justice Warrier and need to brag how you are personally saving the world with your EV and purchase some "status". Knock your self out , probably on that soon to be introduced Tesla with RWD.

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2017, 06:35:14 PM »
In Canada the green thing..(new carbon tax) just sent 500 jobs and one General Motors plant south.....to Mexico .With a lot more company's thinking the same thing...Mexico here they come!
Isn't "green" great!
I thought there was new talks, about keeping the coal plants going...life is great...in Mexico !!

I also feel your pain and I work in the industry . Where are you located in Wynne land ?