Puppeteer

Author Topic: Trolley For single Cylinder DIY Generator.  (Read 6186 times)

guest22972

Trolley For single Cylinder DIY Generator.
« on: March 12, 2017, 12:14:30 AM »

I'm looking to set up my 12 Hp Ruggerini  on a base/ trolley with an induction motor to use as a generator.
I currently have it on some large wood runners but the thing hammers the wood into compression and the bots come loose.  I acquired some 100mm or so box section thick wall steel sections of sufficent length and want to use those to mount everything. As I'll soon be on the move, I want to put wheels on the setup to make it easier to move.

When I was about to start on things yesterday I wondered if there was a right or wrong way to go about this? I now run the thing on concrete and like every other single engine I have ( many)  the arrangement wants to walk around the driveway. Even with me riding it.
I was wondering if wheels would help with this at all or if there is a way to strop the thing walking out onto the road or wherever else it wants to go on the concrete.

I was thinking of using large castor wheels but then pontificated if inflatables like off those cheap hand truck trolleys would be better?  Probably just make them fixed axle as I don't want to much around with a steering axle the thumper of an engine would probably break anyway.  Spose if I ran the thing on the grass would be OK and wouldn't run away but I more had thoughts of it being in a shed and I'd prefer not to have to bolt it to the floor if I can help it.

Any tips or tricks with these sort of things I'm not aware of?
Walks all over the place on beams, will adding wheels have the irony of stopping it or is there some other way of stopping it skating around?

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
Re: Trolley For single Cylinder DIY Generator.
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 02:47:17 AM »
When my Listeroid was on skids, tethering it with rope or cable would keep it from wandering away.  :laugh:
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 03:03:21 AM »
I have put quite a few enines on wheeled carts and will say uniquivically that if your having bounce problems with it on a skid then they will be nothing but worse on a cart. Air type rubber is the worst for adding to bounce. Semi pneumatic is a bit better with steel or cast wheels being by far best. I
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 03:25:31 AM »
With any flexible mounting, you will have "Resonance" at some frequency.   Very hard to predict, but the Law of Un-Indended Consequences predicts it will be very close to your desired RPM for your output frequency.

Bouncing with rubber tires can be " spectacular " you could even "catch air" if unlucky.

oldgoat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 10:48:37 AM »
The Honda diesels have their generators on 4 rubber feet and knowing them they would be tuned to the 3000rpm they run at. Works well but makes them very hard to drag over the ground. I wheel it around on a bag trolley to get it where it needs to go.

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 04:30:57 PM »
Somewhere, probably here, I've seen hockey pucks off Ebay suggested as dampers, beween the chassis and whatever it's bolted down to.

Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 05:46:16 PM »
Oops post
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 06:11:07 PM by 38ac »
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

millman56

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 09:08:51 PM »
Bolt the engine and generator to a wood or steel frame then bolt the frame to a suitable scrap tyre,   I`ve bolted a 6-1 to a piece of plywood and sat it loosley on a  750 X 16"  tyre  and run it throughout it`s speed range without it hopping across the floor at all  although it did a jive on the tyre when acelerating.  Look on Utube,  "Dancing Lister CS"

Thomas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2017, 10:31:12 PM »
Put it on a pallet  jack then put blocks under  it?

gusbratz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 02:52:45 AM »
what if you made the skid like a wheelbarrow, when you picked up on the handles it would lever 1 wheel into the ground and you could wheel it around. then when you stopped and set it down the wheel would come up off the ground. like a wheelbarrow air compressor. put some rubber under the feet so it would not dance around so much.

vdubnut62

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 04:51:12 AM »
That wheelbarrow idea ( Native Tennesseean pronunciation "wheelbar") would be  great if  the darn things didn't weigh near a thousand pounds.  I have seen quite a few old hit & miss engines set up that way, if they were small enough, although my McCormick Deering 1 1/2hp weighs close to 350 lbs.
Ron
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."   Plato.

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2017, 07:53:46 AM »
I just got my Witte Skid done and posted on Micro Co-Gen.  http://www.microcogen.info/index.php?topic=3539.0

This thread finally got me and my camera off our butts.

Thanks,

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

oldgoat

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 01:06:38 PM »
You can forget the Supacheap trolleys they bend the bottom plate and the rims are only pressed coke cans. You need a real bag trolley with the steel wheels probably only obtainable at a clearing sale or the dump. Sorry I meant refuse transfer station.

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2017, 01:29:33 PM »
Bolt on inflatable wheels, let the air out when positioned, and pump up when you need to move ?

guest23837

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2017, 08:29:03 AM »
I saw a photograph of a Petter (maybe) diesel engine and a belt drive alternator some time ago. They were bolted to a steel plate and the plate was attached to a frame by what looked like Land Rover engine mounts