Author Topic: new member  (Read 2886 times)

flying kiwi

• View Profile
« on: March 01, 2017, 10:10:19 AM »
Gidday all.
Ive been browsing this forum for a few months, and im impressed with the knolwdege and hepfullness of the community. Ive worked several decades as a maintenence engineer and have a broad knowldege of things mechanical, machining and welding and repairing and reconditionong allsorts of machinery but im a total noob to the whole lister world.

Ive recently gone off grid and built up a reasonable sloar panel array, with a large bank of batteries feeding an inverter to my house, as backup and for larger loads , like running a welder, i bought an electric start chinese diesel. it does the job, but i was looking for something a bit less furious than a 3400rpm direct injection screamer.

I discovered listers and their hypnotic, rythmic, unhurried way of running and after reading a bit about their logevity, and decided to take the plunge. I bought a very nice looking cs6/1 a cuople of months ago. The head had been  off recently for a decoke and water galleries cleaned and also a valve reseating job. It was built in 1953 and had spent its life driving a vacum pump in a cowshed here in new zealand.

The guy had done a great paint job on it, polished the brass and mounted it to a nice looking sturdy wooden skid type base.  I got it running on the first day and had it quietly ticking away on the lawn. I have suspicions that its in need of a bit of fine tuning (continuous smoke out the exhaust) and i had issues with the govenor not holding constant speed. It would either go up to an excessive speed, or slowly fade and stop.

I read up on tricks and tips to improve stability of revs on this forum, and ive made some changes to try in the future. It will be a slow project as poor health limits the time i can work on it, but its going to happen.
d
I have a 6.5kw generator on order and it s 4 weeks away. Ive bought bits to convert to thermostat water temp control and a kit to add a spin on oil filter.

Am looking foreward to interacting with people in this forum as i felt an instant connection thru our love of old listers. plus i need to figure how to post photos.

mikenash

• View Profile
Re: new member
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 10:29:49 AM »
Hi there fellow Kiwi

I'm in the Manawatu but have an off-grid property in the Bay of Plenty that is under development

Got a 6/1 that is a work in progress and runs OK-ish and a 5kW ST-type head to go with it

Recently bought a 12/2 out of a remote woolshed

I wonder if you know about Rob at Old Timer Engines in Australia?

http://www.oldtimerengines.com.au/

All the parts you'll ever need

Cheers

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 03:38:38 PM »
Hello and welcome!  I am envious of those who can take a little walk through the country and end up tripping over CS engines laying about ;D I just took delivery of a sawmill from the Peterson family, you KIWIs know how to build great mills.

Unhook your governor spring and check your linkage and rack for freedom of movement is my first suggestion.

Collector and horder of about anything diesel

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 04:40:59 PM »
Hello and welcome!  I am envious of those who can take a little walk through the country and end up tripping over CS engines laying about ;D I just took delivery of a sawmill from the Peterson family, you KIWIs know how to build great mills.

Those Peterson mills are a smart design to get the most out of a log . . . much better than the less-versatile ones that have you cutting boards that will warp later, or leave you with just a pile of edgeless slabs

Thanks or supporting our industry  :)

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 05:10:53 PM »
On the originals, there should be no issues with the Governor or the original linkage.  maybe the camshaft is gummed up, and needs some cleaner sprayed in that area, and fresh oil change after that.

excess speed could be oil blowby the rings and overfuel - making smoke
Be very careful, have a large rag, tennis ball or something you can block the air intake with if it starts to run away and fuel lever won't shut it off,
the flywheels are not rated for high speed and can "break" or grenade.

fading down in speed, air or water in the fuel lines

flying kiwi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 09:34:03 AM »
Thanks guys for your contact and repiles and advice. I only ran it the one time and since then ive been reading up on some of the lister govenor issues, and i found a few possible issues on my linkages that ive played with. there was some mis alignment and a bit of binding partly caused by fresh paint in the hole that the speed adjusting rod goes thru.

Yes the overspeed was very unexpected and unnerving. Im a total newbie, and i had just learned how to fire it up. It had been ruunning happily for an hour or so with no issues. I got a few seconds warning because water started to splash out of the attached copper cooling drum.  Fortunately grabbing the govenor rack and pushing it in slowed it down. The motor and wooden base were literally jumping hard enough to start to "walk" across the ground. :o  I discovered the shutoff lever wasnt lifting the linkages enough to close the fuel off at the same time!!

I appreciate the words from members obviously gained from alot of experience with listers.