Puppeteer

Author Topic: Getting My Listeroid to Tasmania  (Read 5152 times)

Samo

• View Profile
Getting My Listeroid to Tasmania
« on: February 19, 2017, 11:21:31 AM »
Hey Folks,

Haven't been around much lately because I've been on a bit of an adventure.... See I built my Listeroid to generate power for my house build in Tasmania. Normally  I'm located in Canberra, about 1300 Km to the north - with around 300 of that by Ferry. But the wife and I are planning a Sea Change, so I hitched my trailer, winched on  the Listeroid, and set off on a road trip. Drove the 700Km South to Melbourne without any issues and boarded the Ferry for the overnight sail to Devonport Tasmania.

Completely uneventful trip across Bass Strait - and that's good because it can be very rough...

Drove off the Ferry and headed to Launceston and that's when the trouble started. Seems my trailer didn't appreciate the rougher roads in Tasmania, and the U bolts holding the Axel to the Spring sheared. Because the Spring is slung under the Axel, the trailer dropped...  but only as far as the mudgard... of course the Tyre wasn't so happy about that, and shredded itself in a couple of seconds.

The vehicle slowed slightly, and when I looked in the mirror I was putting out more smoke than a drag car. I pulled off the road, but there was bugger all room on the road shoulder. Of course it was the right trailer tyre, given we are Right Hand Drive, that's the side exposed to the traffic. So I could only work on it while there was a break in the traffic.

Had rope, some timber and a few ratchet straps and was able to secure the axel well enough for a short drive to somewhere I could work on it safely. However being a Sunday nothing was open, so in the end I winched the trailer, and Listeroid onto a UHaul Car Trailer, and completed my journey without further issue.

So now I have my Listeroid in at the property in Tasmania! I dug four footings and poured small concrete slabs so the wheels wouldn't dig themselves into the ground. Worked ok, except my roid is a bit of a jack rabbit... and likes to wander, so I drove in four star pickets, and secured the base to the pickets with 2 heavy duty ratchet straps. No more jumping around!

Suppose that will do me until I can pour a decent slab and bolt it down.... Here's a video of the setup for your viewing pleasure :)

https://youtu.be/52CkxSPyeNQ

cheers
Samo

« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 11:25:33 AM by Samo »
Lister CS 12/2 & JKSON 10/1 Listeroid

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
Re: Getting My Listeroid to Tasmania
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 05:54:16 PM »
Great stories but perhaps a read of the balancing methods on this site might be a sound suggestion for the both of you.  I'm one of those romantics that believe smooth engines deliver better efficiency.

Casey

NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

Samo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 01:51:32 AM »
Understood Glort, maybe it's not quite a Jack Hammer, but it's definately not a smooth as it looks (without assistance). Those are 1.8m star pickets and they still need to go in a bit futher, I've need to tighten the rachets a couple of times....  but I think it's good enough for now.

Built this unit up myself, engine and altenator from Stephen at Oz Listeroids - my first attempt and I learned heaps from it. The other one  you remember came from the Bookham Clearance Sale, that's the 12/2 Lister, and I'm still in the midst of slowly tearning it down, cleaning, fixing etc... and now have a few lessons learnt that I'll apply to this build.

I'd love to have the time for a YT channel, got stacks of unique stuff going on with the restoration of our 1840's Barracks Buildings and Well... The roid came in handy for when I needed to pump out the Well so I could clean it out. I did write it up on our BLOG, and it's got a link YT of the engine and pumping out the well, but it's just a video, not channel material....

https://triabunnabarracks.wordpress.com

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 06:48:18 AM »
Now that's what I call a project.  Wow!
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 06:56:24 AM »
Yeah!  What a wonderful project!

Samo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 10:30:01 PM »
Great stories but perhaps a read of the balancing methods on this site might be a sound suggestion for the both of you.  I'm one of those romantics that believe smooth engines deliver better efficiency

Thans Casey, maybe when I get some spare time... though that said when my Lister 12/2 is complete I'm expecting it will run a bit smoother?

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 11:07:18 PM »
I'd like to concur with Casey; if you don't like the smoothness of your 6/1, it really isn't a big challenge to correct.  If you don't want to pull the wheels, you can always do the chaulking method (aka Mr X), but I'm a BIG fan of 38ac's method. 

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 01:25:23 AM »

I have read the balancing threads and tried to do it but failed Miserably.

First guess: You are not using enough weight.

The weight needed can be quite significant. And, it's nearly always opposite the crank throw.

I balanced a friends 'roid 6-1. It needed about a pound per flywheel. Another friend's unit needed far more.
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 02:36:00 AM »
I concur.  I found 4 oz a useful minimum increment that could just barely be noticed.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 04:09:04 PM »
There really is no need for a vibration sensor.  Your eyes hands and feet are sufficient.  Your flywheels are likely off and mismatched if trial and error balancing was ineffective.  38ac's method simplifies the process greatly.

For fine tuning I use a cup of water on the valve cover.