Author Topic: Automotive Dealer Service  (Read 7370 times)

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
Automotive Dealer Service
« on: February 09, 2017, 06:10:07 AM »
 :police:
 >:(
Someones going to loose something.   Our subaru AWD, 5sp stick shift, was due for it's 60K mile service.  Supposed to include  change F & R differential oil. Since it's AWD front engine, the Trans is also the front differential.  Service done last week.
First thing, I noticed the oil change reminder sticker in the windshield, listed the wrong grade of oil 5-30 instead of the required 0-20 ( should be OK )
 Today, on a 400 mile trip to the skin Dr for some pre-cancerous surgery, Bang.  Vrooomm.   car slows down.    Odd, it popped out of 5th gear at 70mph on flat ground.
back in gear, set cruise control.   10 min later Bang.  Vrooomm.   car slows down.   Again.   Now resting my hand on the shifter,   Bang.  Vrooomm.  Ouch that kicked my hand hard.   Ok, 4th gear 4K RPM and 60mph for the rest of the trip.  Call the dealer from the Dr office, oh, sure it's OK, manuals don't do that,  safe to drive home with, it won't seize up on the road  very reliable, never heard of that before.   Head back , 5th gear for 20 min then Bang.  Vrooomm  nope, still no better.  Got to the dealer 5 min before closing, insisted they look at it.   No juice in the gearbox.  Whoops.   Well, it's filled now and should be OK.  Good strong transmission, it'll be fine.

Fine my eye, the Mfg (If I can find a working address) is going to get an earful.  Then I relaxed with the Listeroid for 2 hrs charging batteries tonight in anticipation of a big storm hitting tomorrow AM and not wanting to go out in it.

38ac

• View Profile
Re: Automotive Dealer Service
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 11:32:20 AM »
Dealers typically put a low paid newbe on oil changes.

400 miles with no oil and OK?? BS! New tranny time and gimme a vehicle to drive whole you are doing it,,,, and stop daily to be certain that they actually do the work
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 11:41:25 AM »
Agreed.... What he said!! ^

Ed
12/1 750RPM/9HP Roid 5kVA- WMO Disposal/Electricity & Hot Water Gen
12/1 650RPM/8HP Roid 4.5kVa - Demon Dino
Chinese Yanmar - Silent Runner with AutoStart
Classic Komatsu 1963 Dozer/Fergusson 35 Gold Belly ...
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 07:42:10 PM »
Gak ! manual trans problems ?

Hopefully, those are old, small trannies, this is what's in the 2011 forester we bought

FB25 engine  PZEV
( EJ25  engine has been redesigned and named the FB25. Its still a 2.5L/2498cc but it even looks different - it's a DOHC (double overhead cam) with a chain)  2.5L models- 0w-20 synthetic oil  Subsequent oil changes- every 7500 miles or 7.5 months

manual 5spd, PZEV BFA
Transmission, manual 5spd Manual with Incline Start Assist to minimize roll back when stopped pointing up a hill. Uses VDC system.

I hope that's not the same trans you can't keep in stock as other blow them up.

xyzer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 10:30:39 PM »
Consider they made about a 3000/1 (WAG) ratio autos to manuals. I've had both and no issues.
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 06:00:52 PM »
I'd go back and demand a replacement. That's BS and the longer you let it go the harder it will be to prove your case. I hate dealerships! Also demand a loaner car while they do the work.  >:(
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 04:58:40 PM »
What possessed you to buy a manual in the first place?

Wife drives a stick in her '90 CRX  She bought the subaru to replace the CRX, and then could not bear to part with the CRX

For towing i like the 5sp auto in my dodge 5.2L but it sucks gas like there is a hole in the tank

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 09:43:55 PM »
threatening to contact the Bureau of Automotive Repair will get their attention too. Loosing their license they care abut.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 03:46:22 AM »
well, the drained fluid looked pretty good, no chunks of gears, no metal flakes.   Dealership warrantied it for 12mo /  12,000 miles, not "great" for a manual trans that I'd expect to last 250,000 miles, but they try I suppose.   And now I'm so hypersensitive, I can feel every tooth on the syncros as I shift, and they all feel bad ! But they are not.   I hope to get another 60K miles at least out of the car.