Author Topic: Are my flywheels typical?  (Read 14155 times)

gusbratz

• View Profile
Re: Are my flywheels typical?
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2017, 11:11:45 PM »
on my DES 8/1 with aluminum piston I took the flywheels off and cleaned them up like you did. amazing amount of white putty and filler, lots of porosity and holes in the cast. very sad.  any way  to get the key to hang at the bottom I just cleaned the inside of the rim of the wheel and one of the spokes with a grinder where i wanted to remove weight until it hung vertical. then I cleaned off more to get the counterbalance weights the same. it really didn't take much grinding. I used  the string and bucket technique. once they were equal I put them on and ran it and it was way out of balance. I had to add 12oz to each flywheel opposite the counterweight to get it to smooth out. here are my numbers if anybody cares. I found a lot of fun formulas for balancing but in the end they were pointless because  you just add weight to get it to smooth out. pretty simple.

Piston rings wrist pin & e clips= 4.456 lb
   Entire rod with bushing and bearing= 8.76lb
   Bushing end 3.125lb
   Bearing end 6lb 3zo
   Estimated weight of crank pin 2.5 diam 5.5L 7.65lb
   Bore and stroke 4.49” x 5.49”

After cleaning and grinding to match the weights and get the key to sit on the bottom at rest  the wheels measured as follows:
Front wheel 2lb 8oz counterweight , 136.5lb total weight.
Rear wheel  2lb 8.1oz counterweight 136lb total weight.
Added 12 one oz stick on weights to both the front and rear wheels to smooth the engines running out. The weights were added opposite the counterweight to cancel it out.

gusbratz

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2017, 11:18:44 PM »
here are some pics,

vdubnut62

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2017, 04:51:15 AM »
Great going! I 'm glad you got it all sorted. I am starting to dread what I will find on my 'roid. I have an 8-1 also with an aluminum piston,
 some brand that's so odd that I have only heard of 1 other, and it's been sitting around for 15 or 20 years I think.
Ron.
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."   Plato.

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

Quinnf

• Rest in peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2017, 05:15:33 AM »
No, I never got around to Part III.  I wanted to clean up the flywheels and document balancing them, and then go through the oil pump and make it work like it should.  And maybe do some work on the camshaft.  But by that time, interest on the board seemed to be beginning to lag, and importing the engines was becoming problematic, so I crated up the Beta Test engine and it's still there sitting in a corner of my workshop.  I'm thinking I'd sort of rather have the space than the engine now, since I have another 6/1 all set up and running.  That Beta Test engine was about as good as I could make it.  The last thing I planned to do was to clean up the flywheels and balance them permanently.  But during a move to the new house (and bigger shop!), I was rassling with a flywheel in the bed of my pickup and managed to pull my left biceps off the radius bone and had to have surgery to repair it.  That kept me away from work for a month, and when I got back I had to play catch-up big-time! 

I told the Ortho-Doc that when it happened I was surprised, since I still had plenty of strength in that arm, but the insertion just tore off.  I'd have thought our Designer would have made sure that a muscle isn't strong enough to rip itself off the bone, but I guess I just had a bad angle on it.  Ortho-Doc smiled when I said that and then reminded me that I'm not 20 anymore. 

Ashwamegh 6/1, PowerSolutions 6/1 "Kit" engine, and a Changfa R175a that looks like a Yanmar I once knew

gusbratz

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2017, 04:24:56 PM »
No, I never got around to Part III.  I wanted to clean up the flywheels and document balancing them, and then go through the oil pump and make it work like it should.  And maybe do some work on the camshaft.  But by that time, interest on the board seemed to be beginning to lag, and importing the engines was becoming problematic, so I crated up the Beta Test engine and it's still there sitting in a corner of my workshop.  I'm thinking I'd sort of rather have the space than the engine now, since I have another 6/1 all set up and running.  That Beta Test engine was about as good as I could make it.  The last thing I planned to do was to clean up the flywheels and balance them permanently.  But during a move to the new house (and bigger shop!), I was rassling with a flywheel in the bed of my pickup and managed to pull my left biceps off the radius bone and had to have surgery to repair it.  That kept me away from work for a month, and when I got back I had to play catch-up big-time! 

I told the Ortho-Doc that when it happened I was surprised, since I still had plenty of strength in that arm, but the insertion just tore off.  I'd have thought our Designer would have made sure that a muscle isn't strong enough to rip itself off the bone, but I guess I just had a bad angle on it.  Ortho-Doc smiled when I said that and then reminded me that I'm not 20 anymore. 

not sure if you have been on any antibiotics lately but i guess they are real hard on adults.  just read this article and thought of you, "the damage is cumulative. The more exposures you have to these antibiotics, the more damage is done to your body. Not just for some people, ALL people. A hundred percent of people who take a Flouroquinolone antibiotic, show changes in blood flow to the tendon, cartilage, and ligament in their bodies. Each person has a different breaking point depending on their own unique DNA."  i am going to question it a lot more if a doctor tells me I or my kids need antibiotics in the future.
https://mountainsandmustardseedssite.wordpress.com/2017/03/18/this-antibiotic-will-ruin-you/