Author Topic: SR2 Service  (Read 4391 times)

manxmike

• View Profile
SR2 Service
« on: January 13, 2017, 08:07:38 AM »
I have a Lister SR2 on my Narrowboat which is starting to run hot. I can only assume that a service is overdue. The Marina has quoted me £300 for a service which seems excessive for an air-cooled engine.
Sadly I know very little about diesel engines and how to service them.
Are there any suggestions or tips and hints, especially for a marine mounted engine (getting to the oil filter especially seems restricted and difficult).
Thanks in advance

???

EdDee

• View Profile
Re: SR2 Service
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 11:34:26 AM »
Hi MM,

A few things could cause hot running in an aircooled - Are the cooling fins clear, and is the air cooling intake unobstructed? (about the easiest to check)
Is it smoking black or still running clean exhaust under normal load?  Black smoke means "running rich" could be caused by clogged air filter or inlet (Easy to check) or even injector timing that is a touch out, maybe even valve clearances a little on the tight side... All quite easy to scope, and pretty visual...(Injection timing could be a tricky one if you are new to it though)
Is the exhaust pipe perhaps clogged with carbon buildup? Also an easy but dirty job to do in a confined space...

If you could give a few more possible symptoms, such as hard/easy starting by hand or electric starter, smoke from the exhaust and colour of smoke, ie blue/black/grey and when it smokes ie under load/after warmed up etc...

Any other information such as easy or difficult to turn engine over by hand with a crank handle all might help one of the guys to point you in the right direction... Rather too much info than too little...

Regds
Ed
12/1 750RPM/9HP Roid 5kVA- WMO Disposal/Electricity & Hot Water Gen
12/1 650RPM/8HP Roid 4.5kVa - Demon Dino
Chinese Yanmar - Silent Runner with AutoStart
Classic Komatsu 1963 Dozer/Fergusson 35 Gold Belly ...
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

manxmike

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 07:46:20 AM »
Hi Ed,
thanks for the reply.
Cranks over easily on the electric start.
Grey/black smoke on start up and when under significant load.
There are no cooling fins.
Air cooling inlet is a grill in the side of the narrowboat and is unobstructed.
Next time I'm on the boat I'll check the air filter and exhaust.
I'm getting it serviced in March which I hope will address most of the points you have raised.
I must admit I am toying with the idea of mounting a 12 volt fan in the engine compartment to aid the air-flow.
Cheers,
Mike

Combustor

• Combustor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 10:20:04 AM »
Hello Mike,
Not sure what you have there, but if it is a regular SR2 then it will be aircooled and have fins under air cowlings around the cylinders. There are of course marine versions of SR engines and these may be water cooled with jacketed cylinders, possibly heat exchangers or perhaps raw water cooling systems. Do you have a water pump attached to draw in and circulate cooling water?
         If your SR2 is aircooled the air will be drawn into a fanwheel attached to the flywheel inside an air cowling. You may also have air ducting from the side of the engine to an outlet on the boat exterior. Check any ducting for obstruction before going further. Tell us more about the hot running symptoms. Is there a temp gauge? Are you seeing smoke or steam, or does it smell hot? Can sometimes be an oil leak contacting a hot manifold and creating smoke or a hot smell. Let us know what you find and some marine experts may be able to dignose for you. Regards,
Combustor.
Toys include- Lister CS 8/1, Lister VA SOM plant and some Aussie engines.
   "Old iron in the Outback" Kimberley, West Australia.