Puppeteer

Author Topic: Petter with 6kva generator  (Read 4767 times)

starfire

• View Profile
Petter with 6kva generator
« on: January 09, 2017, 10:35:49 PM »
Got some time to tidy up some of my installation  over the xmas break, built a base and mounted the new generator permanently  to the engine.

The generator I thought was a reasonable price, seems to be well made, lots of iron with copper coils, not aluminium, and good sized sealed ball bearings....
Interestingly it has a digital readout that gives voltage, frequency, run time and winding temperature, a nice touch but a bit of a gimmick really.

The bucket  contains cooling oil for the submerged battery charging transformer. This is a rewound 180 amp welding transformer with a center tapped secondary winding and two hefty diodes. This will do until  I find a better container. Seemed sensible to use this charging  method rather than another alternator and vee belt combo.
The generator is branded Cenfor and made in China, its brushed with a fairly robust looking AVR, large cooling fan at the front, real copper windings and arrived complete with a dual C section front pulley at 3.5 inches.  After a few hundred hours with   a 75 percent load it appears to be reliable and have had no issues, so for the money at $650nz, I can recommend these as being ok and appearing to be good value. The 240 volt output has a 20 amp AC circuit breaker/overload, as does the 12 volt DC output terminals.... this I have used to power the electric radiator fan for the engine.
One interesting feature, the alternator appears to use an integral permag 12 volt alternator to supply the main exciter current, the cogging is evident when spinning it by hand.  This explains the clean and sudden startup when started under load, good for NOT accidentally burning out capacitor start motors as can happen with a "soft" start, or usual slow buildup.

dieselspanner

• View Profile
Re: Petter with 6kva generator
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 09:19:55 AM »
Nice set up.

I'd be interested to know how the led multi purpose meter hold out, I,m considering using them to monitor the output on the 3 x 220v phases of my alternator, they look well Gucci, and are cheaper than chips on Ebay.

The quesrion is will they thrive in the heat and vibration?

Cheers Stef

Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

carlb23

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 11:28:12 AM »
I would remove that doghouse from on top of the generator and mount it on the elsewhere where it wont get shaken to death.

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 12:16:39 PM »
Hi

I'd like to mount the dog house 'elsewhere', as yrt in thr project I don't have one!

Cheers
Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

millman56

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 06:55:23 AM »
Hi,     I bought a batch of Chinese loop powered LCD,  hours run, volts and frequency meters off Alliexpress and have fitted manyof them on generators, some with with the worst case vibration and blown rain conditions and not had one fail yet!!  They are a very useful setting up and monitoring  device.   I made a generator output test box some time ago, using a cheapo digital 50 amp volts/current meter and a cheapo  digital frequency meter, both loop powered.      After one particular overvoltage event,  one of the volts/ current meters started to read 100 Volts above actual and I`ve lost count of the frequency meters that have gone pop due to overvoltage conditions  (above300V)  when testing small single phase generators,    they each cost less  than a  beer in the UK,  so not too many tears shed if they fry.     

Mark.