Puppeteer

Author Topic: CS 6/1 a runner - call it a Xmas present  (Read 4329 times)

mikenash

• View Profile
CS 6/1 a runner - call it a Xmas present
« on: December 24, 2016, 07:53:54 AM »
Hi guys.  I bought an old CS with an uncertain history some months back, and began working through the various things wrong with it - mostly "previous owner stuff"

Turned out to have had the cam set 90 degrees out of time, losing compression out of a leaking COV that took a hell of a lot of removing as well as through very worn valve guides, a cylinder that had sat full of water - possibly for some years, and a flogged-out big-end, snapped-off oil flinger, a home-made head gasket and about double the ideal bump clearance . . .among other things

Many thanks to all those who helped me with advice - especially Gary DieselGman and 38AC for giving me an understanding of the timing cycles, Ed Dee for his KISS advice on re-timing the cam, Starfire for his wisdom on the injection, Rob from Old Timer engine in Australia with parts and advice - and a bunch of others on this site whose wisdom has been freely given.

It has been sitting waiting for a chance for me to get a serious run at it and today I managed to put in a 12-hour day in the workshop:  Welded a base for it to a trailer chassis I had been building in spare moments, bolted it down to that, fitted a new (Indian, 5-stud) head from Rob Johnstone at Old Timer engines and a new injector and pipe.  Organised a temporary fuel supply and, voila, right away there's a proper "tink-clink" from the injector (what I had been hearing was only a shadow of that, but - not knowing how it should sound - I hadn't realised this).

Gave a healthy puff of smoke on the first crank and fired and ran on the third.

There's still a bunch to do - there's no governor linkage, but I have some bits off a 3/1 that will work, I think; Need to build it a cooling system - but that's just plumbing; ditto exhaust and air intake/filter; I have a modern, clean-able water trap/diesel filter unit ready to fit; and all of the covers are rusted-out, throw-away items so will need to build some more - just out of 10MM corten flat I think - and employ some sealant.  The crankcase breather is rusted-out but there's a good plate and breather on the afore-mentioned 3/1 I think

I noticed some end-float at the crank, as well - but now that I have the keys free, taking a flywheel on and off is a two-minute job (I have been fitting the wheels and keys with a little nickel antisieze or CopperKote - I wonder if that's a bad practise?)

Anyway, lots to do but it is running nicely & showing potential

Thanks again to all those whose advice I have enjoyed

Cheers, Mike

Samo

• View Profile
Re: CS 6/1 a runner - call it a Xmas present
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 10:59:27 AM »
Nice work, gee it must have been a good feeling when it fired! That's a nice xmas present alright!
Lister CS 12/2 & JKSON 10/1 Listeroid

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2016, 12:05:28 PM »
Hi Mike,

Nicely done! A lurvley Xmas pressie indeed.!

I personally, wouldn't run with lubed keyways, fine for the odd few secs while testing things, but the potential is there for disaster in the long term.. Thoroughly dry and clean them and do final fitment when u know all is well....

Happy Xmas
Ed
12/1 750RPM/9HP Roid 5kVA- WMO Disposal/Electricity & Hot Water Gen
12/1 650RPM/8HP Roid 4.5kVa - Demon Dino
Chinese Yanmar - Silent Runner with AutoStart
Classic Komatsu 1963 Dozer/Fergusson 35 Gold Belly ...
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2016, 04:49:41 PM »
Nicely done Mike!  ;)

Sounds to me like you are getting a good handle on the beast and, once running, the finer points of tuning/balancing/bug fixes can be worked on at your leisure.

+1 on dry gib key installation. You really don't want those things working their way loose during operation and you want the final fit to be very precise.

Best of luck putting her back to work!

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 07:38:45 AM »
Hi Mike,

Nicely done! A lurvley Xmas pressie indeed.!

I personally, wouldn't run with lubed keyways, fine for the odd few secs while testing things, but the potential is there for disaster in the long term.. Thoroughly dry and clean them and do final fitment when u know all is well....

Happy Xmas
Ed

Cool.  Thanks for the advice on Gib keys - I appreciate the voices of experience, Ed & Gary

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 08:10:54 AM »
Nicely done Mike!  ;)

Sounds to me like you are getting a good handle on the beast and, once running, the finer points of tuning/balancing/bug fixes can be worked on at your leisure.

+1 on dry gib key installation. You really don't want those things working their way loose during operation and you want the final fit to be very precise.

Best of luck putting her back to work!

dieselgman

Thanks Gary & Ed.  I appreciate the advice.

I made up a a temp fuel system with a gravity feed from a temporary tank first through a 30 micron filter then an automotive filter, and fitted various covers with hi-temp silicone for the moment, gave it a sump full of clean oil

Arranged some temp cooling by keeping the water jacket full with a hose (extended the bottom - return - hose fitting up slightly above the top of the top fitting and let water dribble through at a rate that had it coming out warm) and gave it a run for an hour or so.

Made up a rough fitting off the zorst to attach to a couple of metres of 63mm alkathene by way of sound-deadening so I could hear it better and temp fitted the air-cleaner to keep the intake noise down

There's a link here - dunno if you can access that?

https://www.facebook.com/mike.nash.35912/videos/1212003578890464/

I can't leave it at work long-term as my boss isn't that keen on my perks in his workshop, and I have a bunch of work to do to attach the ST head and see what happens - so I made up a rough trailer so I can tow it between home & work as required.  So it rattles around a bit as the pulses work the springs on the trailer

Just had it running at maybe 400 revs as a safety factor? (and bearing in mind the flywheels)  My  rev-counter wouldn't pick up the reflective tape (maybe the flywheel surface was shiny?) so I have painted one matt grey and will have another go next time it runs

Have an old copper hot water cylinder here for a thermosiphon tank if I can get the damned insulation foam off of it . . .that'll be next

Need to eliminate the end-float in the crank, and can probably improve valve timing a little, might be some big-end noise there too?  bottom end is original.

Plenty still to do

Will be interesting to see how that 'Roid head works over time, too

Cheers

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 01:45:41 PM »
Looks about 385rpm in the vid,  just counted it out manually using the video timeline... can't tell if its big end noise or a gib key..my phone has crappy sound...

Otherwise is looking good.... Well done!

Cheers
Ed
12/1 750RPM/9HP Roid 5kVA- WMO Disposal/Electricity & Hot Water Gen
12/1 650RPM/8HP Roid 4.5kVa - Demon Dino
Chinese Yanmar - Silent Runner with AutoStart
Classic Komatsu 1963 Dozer/Fergusson 35 Gold Belly ...
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!