Puppeteer

Author Topic: possibly my governor is wacky  (Read 15542 times)

tyssniffen

• View Profile
Re: possibly my governor is wacky
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2016, 01:37:56 AM »
I just need to ask this again:

when I got this 6/1, it had the heavier, smaller stover wheels on it.   I now have the standard wagon wheels on it.  Could there be some problem with the gov weights - that is, are there stover 6/1 gov weights that would be different than standard 6/1 gov weights?

searching... ???
6/1 with 2 tank for WVO.  pushing power into off-grid house battery bank, in winter.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2016, 01:41:47 AM »
Yes, you may have received the 8/1 weights on the governor. It would seem you got an 8/1 or 10/1 if you got smaller wheels on it. Someone already suggested this.  Pulling the camshaft isn't the worst job. The smaller weights would explain your situation pretty well.

edit-  changed 5/1 typo to 10/1.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 09:05:48 PM by BruceM »

tyssniffen

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2016, 08:55:14 PM »
Yes, you may have received the 8/1 weights on the governor. It would seem you got an 5/1 or 10/1 if you got smaller wheels on it. Someone already suggested this.  Pulling the camshaft isn't the worst job. The smaller weights would explain your situation pretty well.

argh. sorry if I missed it. 

Before I go pulling camshafts or swapping BACK the stover wheels, is there a chance someone can tell by looking at photos of the weights I have in there now? 

I took a batch, and posted them here:

http://philosophercrank.blogspot.com/2016/12/the-governor-weights.html

(turns out putting a phone camera into the interior of an oily engine has negative consequences)

6/1 with 2 tank for WVO.  pushing power into off-grid house battery bank, in winter.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2016, 01:11:01 PM »
I have a couple new 6/1 camshafts complete and tried to compare them to your picture at  the same angle and it looks the same but dont take that as Gospel as the difference between the weights is not huge.  I dont have an 8/1 set up to look at other than what is in engines so I cant compare it at the same angle.
 Somewhere on this site I remember seeing a picture of both sets of weights side by side.
Personally I dont think the weights are causing your issue, yes the proper weights make a small difference in governor response but it is NOT night and day.  My personal KOEL 8/1 generator runs at 635 RPM and I lose 3 hertz  from no load to 3000 watts.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

tyssniffen

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2017, 09:34:34 PM »
The smaller weights would explain your situation pretty well.

wait, wouldn't the flywheels create the same linear force?  and/or wouldn't the weights be about speed - RPM - vs weight of the flywheel? 

so, if I've got the thing putting out 60hz with the standard 22" wagonwheel flywheels with an 8" pulley.. I'm going 650rpm.. which is what the stover wheels were supposed to go as well... so the weights should act the same??

and, if I do have the wrong weights on, where does one get proper 6/1 weights? 

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2017, 06:14:58 AM »
Hi All

Slowly, very slowly, as other projects allow I'm working towards  the Start-o-matic type set up Glort proposes.

Perhaps not with all the automatic power distribution but certainly with the low oil level, over temperature/speed  and an automatic start and shut down set up.
Luckily I have a mate who's as keen as me, but far more electronically gifted, I do to PCB's what grit does to clockwork (Thanks Mr Pratchett) so the plumbing and wiring is down to me.

Having read of various solutions to oil level monitoring on here I'm thinking of a remote oil reservoir, with a free flow pipe between the sealed reservoir and the sump, the levels remaining the same, and the pressure over the oil balanced with another pipe from the top of the crank case, the whole issue connected with flexible pipes and mounted on a hinged plate with a light spring underneath.

As the oil level drops the decrease in weight would allow the remote reservoir to rise and close a micro switch shutting down the Lister via the control system. As long as there was sufficient mass to hold the reservoir firmly down, against the thumping, the first time it 'jumped' it should, in theory trip out.

As usual, all comments, input, advice and hoots of derision welcome!

Cheers Stef

Yes, yes.  I have often thought that a larger, remote, oil reservoir sharing the same level, and just connected by a bit of whatever plumbing at two low-ish points, is a GREAT fail-safe idea.  No moving parts.  Not as a "switch" device, but simply as "more oil" available to the upper sump in case of oil pump failure or whatever.

It'll all end up in the bottom sump eventually, but if you had an "overflow" . . .

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2017, 06:27:48 AM »
Hey Mike,

I looked at that oil option and cast it aside as it would take up too much space - Instead, I made and fitted a 1.5L "Gerbil waterer" type oil reservoir piped through the small CC cover... It works well so far.... (even with an oversize, overly long, hollow dipper thrashing things around)

Cheers
Ed
12/1 750RPM/9HP Roid 5kVA- WMO Disposal/Electricity & Hot Water Gen
12/1 650RPM/8HP Roid 4.5kVa - Demon Dino
Chinese Yanmar - Silent Runner with AutoStart
Classic Komatsu 1963 Dozer/Fergusson 35 Gold Belly ...
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2017, 02:55:42 PM »

wait, wouldn't the flywheels create the same linear force?  and/or wouldn't the weights be about speed - RPM - vs weight of the flywheel? 

Forget the flywheels, they are not affecting how the govenor reacts to a load. Heavy flywheel help with suddenly applied loads but only for a short duration, a second or two, the governor must pick up the load.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

tyssniffen

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2017, 06:39:34 PM »

Forget the flywheels, they are not affecting how the govenor reacts to a load. Heavy flywheel help with suddenly applied loads but only for a short duration, a second or two, the governor must pick up the load.

so, in your opinion, it's the spring, or the linkage assembly?    or wrong sized weights??