Author Topic: Dismantling the Bookham 12/2 CS  (Read 17708 times)

Samo

• View Profile
Re: Dismantling the Bookham 12/2 CS
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2016, 10:51:38 AM »
Thanks Ron and Butch,
I'm in no hurry so I'll continue with a soaking approach and see how that fares. I also checked the fuel line and it's full of holes near the dip. If I do get the pumps going, I'll sweat out the fittings and make a new line. Can I do this in copper pipe? Otherwise I'll tread the Indian path, Mico pumps and fittings.
cheers,

Samo
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 11:12:47 AM by Samo »
Lister CS 12/2 & JKSON 10/1 Listeroid

tiger

• Retired-Retarded-Work well with adult supervision
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2016, 06:08:43 AM »
Samo:
 I would switch to acetone wd 40 is a water displacement fish oil compound. acetone will cut diesel or gasoline varnish fast.
Metro 12/2 ST 10 KW

Samo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2016, 06:26:49 AM »
Thanks tiger,
I'll get some on the weekend and give it a go.
cheers
Samo

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2016, 09:03:28 AM »
After reading somewhere, probably here, I've been using acetone with around 5% ATF to good effect.
In a clear washing up liquid bottle it's easy to squirt around, It doesn't fume off and pump it's self out like it did when I had it in a 'trigger spray' thingy and left it in the sun and it looks pretty too.

Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

Samo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2016, 08:06:07 PM »
Stef,
Do you know why ATF is mixed with Acetone? How does it help?
Just wondering.
Samo

vdubnut62

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2016, 03:18:16 PM »
I don't know the science behind it, but if you squirt it on something and watch closely, you can actually see it "crawl" around for lack of a better word.
I think the acetone lowers the surface tension of the ATF allowing it to penetrate.
There was a thing on the internet several years ago about a few ounces of acetone in the gas tank lower the surface tension of the gas allowing it to break up into smaller droplets blah blah. Well, I tried it on my Daughters 75 Mustang once, the weather was pretty cool, and after that she was on me constantly to put the acetone in her car. she said it started and ran so much better until it was up to temp.  Of course it had a carb, everything else was fuel injected and I never noticed squat on my car.
Ron.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 03:29:16 PM by vdubnut62 »
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."   Plato.

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

Samo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2016, 09:37:32 PM »
Thanks Ron, bought the acetone on the weekend but haven't had a chance to try it out. I'll give it a go during the week - on diesel parts only, I'm happy with 98 octane in my car.
cheers
Samo

vdubnut62

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2016, 05:36:30 AM »
Thanks Ron, bought the acetone on the weekend but haven't had a chance to try it out. I'll give it a go during the week - on diesel parts only, I'm happy with 98 octane in my car.
cheers
Samo

Probably a wise choice!
Ron
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."   Plato.

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

Samo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2016, 02:36:39 AM »
Thanks Glort, I have shellite for my colman gas stove. It seems to be a dry fuel rather than oily, somewhat like petrol, certainly seems to soak into parts pretty well. Might try it mixed with ATF and see how it compares to the acetone mix.
Samo

vdubnut62

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2016, 04:45:07 AM »
Is shellite a brand name? Around here you buy it by the gallon and it's labeled  "Coleman Fuel".  The stuff labeled Naptha is what we use in parts cleaners.
Just curious.
Ron.

32 coupe

• "Doc Johnson" on call !
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2016, 05:23:17 AM »

Coleman fuel was always referred to as white gas.
Over on the Coleman Forum everyone says Coleman fuel and naphtha are the
same thing.

I remember buying white gas as a kid and using it to clean engine parts.
Worked.great. At $8 or $9 a gallon I don't use it for cleaning any more.
Works good in the lanterns and stoves though  !

Metro 6/1 turning a ST 7.5 KW gen head
Changfa 1115 turning a ST 15 KW gen head
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"

vdubnut62

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2016, 08:34:33 PM »
Well, the reason I asked is that where I used to work, many years ago, we had buckets of solvent that we washed parts in. We called it "Varsol". Then OSHA or somebody decided that it could be absorbed through the skin or maybe some other health hazard, and they changed to what they called "Naptha". I don't know what it really was, but it was not even close to anything that I would call Coleman fuel or white gas.
Sorry for the hijack!!  I'll be quiet now.
Ron

Samo

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2016, 11:34:13 AM »
I tried acetone with ATF on the weekend, and geez that mix evaporates quickly, temp was only around 30 degrees C, in the 90's Fahrenheit I suppose. Anyway mixed up a couple of liters, poured it into the cylinder, came back in the evening and.... gone! Just a bit of ATF left in the bottom of the cylinder. Well I hope it carried some ATF into the nooks and crannies!

Samo

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2016, 08:01:00 PM »
Looks like the ATF and acetone did penetrate into the cylinder, I was able to press the piston out of the cylinder. I've had the cylinder honed and it seems pretty good considering its ordeal. Now to press out the gudgon pin and clean up the piston.

https://goo.gl/photos/Cv13zoaths38dTEeA

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2016, 01:11:17 AM »
Yuck, bet it cleans up fine though.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.