Author Topic: Lister 12/2 what our American colleagues might call a "barn find"?  (Read 5396 times)

mikenash

• View Profile
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOZiIuddTRShc45OEvdXN659NUteykc4cWcIevjwjlT17-ay_POcBnMgqQH2tza4g?key=RlJlMXZXSXN3akVRNFRWc1lRdjJNWW9pZngyWlJR

I wonder if this link will work

Google photos

Still trying to find a way to master image access on this site

This is 10/2 slash 12/2 I bough recently out of an old woolshed

Cheers

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
Re: Lister 12/2 what our American colleagues might call a "barn find"?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 01:15:58 AM »
Yup.  That's a barn find.
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 11:20:43 AM »
What a beaut!
12/1 750RPM/9HP Roid 5kVA- WMO Disposal/Electricity & Hot Water Gen
12/1 650RPM/8HP Roid 4.5kVa - Demon Dino
Chinese Yanmar - Silent Runner with AutoStart
Classic Komatsu 1963 Dozer/Fergusson 35 Gold Belly ...
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

Dieselsmoker

• If your genset fails, remeber Ps 119:105 - Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path.
  • Self-Certified Professional Engine Lover
    • View Profile
    • Get your spares back!
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 12:36:36 PM »
Very nice engine... I could lay my hands on a 5/1 or a 6/1 within a few days if I started searching right now, but those twins elude me... I picked up a for sale add once but it was already sold by the time I reacted. I've personally never seen a twin so my interest is instinctively sparked when I see one. Enjoy!
1963 Lister 6/1 genset - Restored
1942 Fairbanks-Morse ZC-208 - Restored
1945 Ruston & Hornsby PB 3HP - To be restored
1954 John Deere 40-S - Current project

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 02:52:27 PM »
Please do keep on posting as you get on with the rebuild.

I am not very computer literate but find posting pictures to this site to be quite easy IF you use the right photo hosting source.
 I use http://tinypic.com/  First follow the easy instructions to upload your photo to that site. Then cut or copy the url from that site and paste it here using the "insert image" tab right above the smiley faces in the reply window.  Check your work by clicking on the Preview box below.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 02:55:43 PM by 38ac »
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2016, 06:47:24 PM »
Very nice engine... I could lay my hands on a 5/1 or a 6/1 within a few days if I started searching right now, but those twins elude me... I picked up a for sale add once but it was already sold by the time I reacted. I've personally never seen a twin so my interest is instinctively sparked when I see one. Enjoy!

Yep, It'll be fun

I would guess it has done sixty seasons of work driving the shearing shed with ten-month gaps sitting idle and probably nothing very expert by way of maintenance.

Both COV valves look to have been closed in high-compression mode by someone with a big pipe wrench many years ago . . .

It may be one of those machines, the maintenance of which has been passed, piecemeal, down through whoever was in charge of the shearing shed any given year - so who knows what state it's in?

Of course it may run just fine

We'll see

Cheers

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2016, 06:51:15 PM »
Please do keep on posting as you get on with the rebuild.

I am not very computer literate but find posting pictures to this site to be quite easy IF you use the right photo hosting source.
 I use http://tinypic.com/  First follow the easy instructions to upload your photo to that site. Then cut or copy the url from that site and paste it here using the "insert image" tab right above the smiley faces in the reply window.  Check your work by clicking on the Preview box below.

Hi there.  Yep, thanks, I'll have a look at that site

I have no idea what the fate of that twin will be.  To be honest I just bought it because I wanted it.

I guess I'll pour some concrete eventually and get it working and see what it needs doing to it.

I'm not a restoration person - all of my houses, cars, trucks etc etc have suffered from my tendency to call things "finished" once they are "workable"  Ask any of my ex-wives lol

Cheers

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 12:50:33 AM »

I'm not a restoration person - all of my houses, cars, trucks etc etc have suffered from my tendency to call things "finished" once they are "workable"  Ask any of my ex-wives lol

You sound like me.
I have an "opposing" view to a friend of mine. I think he's a bit OCD. Everything he does has to have a presentation of perfection.  I kid you not, this guy built himself the best damn looking box trailer you have ever seen in all your born days. It matches his car and has the same level of paint finish.
No, I tell a lie, the paint on the trailer has a deeper shine.
His garage looks every bit as good as his Kitchen, fully lined with cupboards, not a thing out of place and even has a floor the same as his home.  Even the work bench is enclosed in a cupboard so he can close the folding doors so it looks neat.

He has a conflict with my way of doing things. He says everything I do works perfectly, it just looks like shit.  He's not wrong, I just think there there is a happy middle ground somewhere between the two of us. I am trying to learn and make things I do look better. I'm looking for a new house atm and my shed is going to look a WHOLE load different to what I have now does that's for sure.
Won't make that mistake again!

Being a genuine Lister, you may well not have to pour any concrete. I see lots of Listers running happily and smoothly on trolleys on YT and at shows. Big difference between something made in Dursely and something made in wherethefukarewe .

I was just thinking that this afternoon as I look at some big hardwood sections we have here . . .

However concrete-and-steel is sort of my default setting s we'll see

Cheers

quinnbrian

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2017, 02:19:03 AM »
If you had a dollar ( U.S. or even Canadian...LOL)  for every hour that motor has ran...well I bet you could go on a very nice vacation !!

guest23837

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2017, 07:14:32 PM »
In Ireland, northern Ireland and probably the UK many people had an old lister to generate power, it lived in the engine shed. Then along came rural electrification and the engines and engine sheds were abandoned, I've seen a few old lister engines that could be barn finds only they were outside the barn or engine shed and past rescue.