Author Topic: Lister CS 12/2 been in a woolshed all its life I think  (Read 3493 times)

mikenash

• View Profile
Lister CS 12/2 been in a woolshed all its life I think
« on: November 13, 2016, 02:33:35 AM »
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1167978349959654&set=pcb.1167978696626286&type=3&theater

I wonder if the above link will work?  Should show an oily 12/2 and its ID plate up close with the serial number 11771022 - if I'm reading that right it might mean #1177 of production year 1952 and a 10/2 model?

The woman from whom I bought it is the daughter of the original owner of the property and says it has been there "forever"

There are still lots of such engines here in New Zealand.  The woolshed (overseas folk might call it a shearing shed) this one is in has only had electricity supplied to it in the last year.  It's in a fairly remote location where the electricity reticulation didn't arrive until certainly the 1960s or possibly later.

FWIW I paid $NZ1200 for it

I just bought it because it seems to be an "original runner".  Still has too much compression to turn over by hand, makes a nice "clink" at the injector when you turn it over, and managed a puff of smoke after a couple of rotations - so probably not far of being a "runner"

Looking at the wide flat pulley on the drive side (under he flat belt) - that pulley struck me as being an ideal spot for a friction drive for one of the air-motor-and-rubber-tyre starters some of you gentleman have used so successfully.

I'd be interested in any thoughts

(I also have another query about flywheels - a separate post - if any of you learned folks wanted to venture an opinion; cheers)

Thanks, Mike

Samo

• View Profile
Re: Lister CS 12/2 been in a woolshed all its life I think
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 11:25:58 AM »
Hi Mike,

Unfortunately the link doesn't work for me. What a cracking find. I paid quite a bit for my 12/2 and it's got a seized piston! I also have the same numbering scheme, showing a 12 hp 650 rpm engine but serial number indicates its a 10/2. I've got a feeling that the RPM is the difference, a slower turning engine will produce less output, so maybe the 10/2s are 600 RPM? I'm sure someone on the forum can set that straight.

Good luck with getting it running.
cheers,
Samo
Lister CS 12/2 & JKSON 10/1 Listeroid

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 07:01:30 PM »
No picture for me either as of yet.

What a screaming find.  The stuff from which dreams are made.  How many lotto tickets did you buy?  If you believe in luck then you know it runs in threes.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 10:27:06 PM »
Hello Mike:
Re starters: I have used both a friction starter and a starter/generator on my 6/1. The friction starter is made with an automotive starter motor and a fricrion wheel. The friction starter works fine moast of the time, and is very simple and inexpensive. The only problem with it was that my flywheel gets wet and sometimes iced up with freezing fog.........not enough friction. I have installed a golf cart starter generator to eliminate the lack of friction in those freezing for situations. Since we have not had the fog as yet this winter, I cannot say how the starter/generator will perform under those conditions.

Friction starter has the advantages of inexpensive and easy to fabricate. There is no load on the engine when the starter is disengaged.The starting battery is topped up by an electronic battery charger.
Starter/generator works with the flick of a switch, recharges its own battery, is a lot more costly. The drive belt is always engaged, so there is a bit of extra drag, though seems to make no noticeable difference in performance.

I am currently using the starter/generator set-up. but the friction starter just needs to be hooked up to a battery and it is ready for action.

An air driven friction starter works fine, especially  if you hav an aircompressor belted up to your engine. I don't.  We have seen friction air starters working well  with either a tire or a much smaller friction wheel as on my modified automobile starter

They are both still installed, you can see photos at this link  http://listerengine.com/smf/index.php?topic=7715.msg87441#msg87441

Cheers,
Hugh
JKson 6/1  (Utterpower PMG ) Off-grid
Lister 6/1 Start-O-Matic engine......running with PMG
1978 Royal Enfield (glutton for punishment by Indian iron)
1963 BMW R-27 project

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 03:12:41 AM »
Hello again Hugh

Thanks for the thoughts and images - I have looked at them before and been impressed with the tidiness and simplicity

I'm a big fan of the air starter idea and while I was in the workshop one Saturday built myself quite a big air receiver out of a 1.6M length of 250mm NB pipe (kinda 0.08 of a M3 or maybe 2.8 cubic feet?) Pumped it up to 10 bar and turned off the valve and came back an hour later and no pressure loss and doesn't seem to blow any bubbles so might be OK?  I reckon there would be a few starts in there.  I'm hoping it won't take much to run a compressor off the CS.  It can just chug away. I have an old open-drive twin-cylinder air compressor pump unit - I have been using a similar old one at home for maybe 25 years with zero maintenance; so I suspect they are built like the proverbial . . .

The bugbear here is the air motor.  Those little GAST units never come up on TradeMe (think eBay) here and are kinda $300-plus on eBay Australia.  I'll keep looking.  I'm in no hurry at all; just playing with bits as I have time

I guess my thinking was that driving an air motor off the small (maybe 200mm/8") pulley would give a better "cranking speed" - but, of course, would need more torque?

We'll see, eh

As always, I'm aware lots of folks on here have already worked through these questions - no sense re-inventing that wheel.

No idea why that FB link won't work - it opens fine here?

Cheers, Mike