Puppeteer

Author Topic: Electrolysis to free a stuck piston  (Read 3942 times)

Samo

• View Profile
Electrolysis to free a stuck piston
« on: November 05, 2016, 08:58:23 PM »
Hi folks,

I've stripped the seized cylinder from the 12/2 and it's spent a day in the electrolysis tank (aka the big plastic tub). A lot of the rust has fallen away already. I'm pretty sure the both cylinders are lined, not chromed (is that normal circa 1953?). I've only used electrolysis on cast parts to date - so am I likely to pit the cylinder liners if I continue? But then what choice do I have....

Using washing soda with stainless steel electrode powered by DC 20 amp power supply.

Thanks

Samo 
Lister CS 12/2 & JKSON 10/1 Listeroid

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
Re: Electrolysis to free a stuck piston
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 09:27:49 PM »
rust you can often pound through.  But a piston that you have "welded" to the cylinder with electroplating, is going to be tough.  When you get the majority of the rust off, try whacking it with a wood stick and shake it loose.

Samo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 11:38:59 AM »
I took the Cylinder out of the electrolysis bath, and soaked it with WD40 for a day, heated cycled the piston a couple of times to draw WD40 in as it cooled. Cut a block of wood to size and gave it a tap with a  mallet. It moved! Unfortunately it is too late to make lots of noise, so further progress will have to wait until tomorrow....

I'm really impressed with how de-rusted the parts are after their bath, they come out black, but that comes off easily with the wire brush leaving pristine parts (with a few pits where the rust was).

I wasn't going to paint the engine during this restoration. Was going to leave it in as found condition, but since I've had to clean one cylinder, it would look a bit odd if I had one clean cylinder and the other aged paint and oil....

BTW - It's a grey blue colour, is that a stock Lister colour?

Thanks Samo

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 01:39:29 PM »
Mid-Brunswick Green with gold highlighting on lettering... standard Lister colors.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 10:44:39 AM »
I believe the marine versions were painted a blue/grey colour - is it quite a light grey? I (all-too-briefly) owned a CS 3.5 compressor painted that colour.

Post 1952 marine engines should have an "M" towards/at the end of the serial number.
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

Samo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 07:31:28 PM »
Thanks Ade, there's no M in the serial, however the colour was not green. Rusty as it seems there's quite a bit of blue under the rust, but no other colour.

https://goo.gl/photos/dqCYYhsnkKWpjjG98