Author Topic: El cheapo 230 volt alternator  (Read 9888 times)

starfire

• View Profile
Re: El cheapo 230 volt alternator
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2016, 06:39:04 AM »
To anyone interested.
The oil feed on the heater is controlled via two inline valves, one is activated by the infra red sensor, and shuts off immediately  if there is a flame out. This one will also close with loss of power, ie, fail safe. The second valve is controlled by a thermostat, keeping the temperatures sane. The theromocouple is mounted at the hottest point, this being in the red area at the base, as seen in the first test photo. It simply switches the oil on and off, the latent heat of the internal fire brick allows a hot start   The fan pressurises the outer casing and the air exits into the room at a pressure slightly above atmospheric, preventing any smell and fumes. Once running, the burner has proven over 5 years to be reliable and safe. A second water feed is controlled by a valve that can be manually switched, this increases the efficiency and reduces fuel consumption.... depending on the fuel used The outer shell is designed to hold 20 liters of oil  in containment just in case of a fault.... the main oil supply is limited to 20 liters for this reason,   The burner is started with meths, and will self run from cold with little to no intervention. Having a thermostaic fan ensures the inner casing is always hot enough to ensure a clean burn. Oil burners are available commercially, and are fairly common in NZ but very expensive to buy.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 06:41:29 AM by starfire »

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2016, 03:02:48 PM »
Gentlemen,

I prefer to frequent places that are friendly and helpful. I have enjoyed the nature and content here about 99% of the time and I am not spending my time on this forum to be subjected to your quarrels, complaints and defenses.

Please keep the arguments and personal attacks to a private rather than public locale. That behavior is clearly in violation of our forum rules.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2016, 11:16:42 AM »
Hi Guys

Thanks for tutorial and the pointers, it's given me plenty to think about and confirmed what I thought and probably lessened the element of danger in my 'little knowledge'

Cheers Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.