Author Topic: Ruston 2xhr single flywheel Project underway  (Read 13244 times)

Jake65mm

• View Profile
Ruston 2xhr single flywheel Project underway
« on: October 08, 2016, 02:09:00 AM »
Its been one week today, i made a 24 hour round trip to pick up the ole girl from a nice gentleman in Canada.  Its a 2xhr single flywheel with all the air start components including factory air tank. The engine was imported to Montreal in 1945 and installed in a college in the engineering department. By the look of the bearing and journal wear it safe to say it was hardly ever ran. The flywheel is massive at 50.5 inches in diameter by 4.5 wide. The main issue I have had with the single flywheel outer suppory bearing design is building a sufficient cart for it. I bought the engine to show, English built diesels seem to be far and few between at the shows i go too. I will be posting pictures soon i still don't have this smart phone figured out.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 02:56:07 AM by Jake65mm »

Jake65mm

• View Profile
Re: Ruston 2xhr single flywheel Project underway
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 02:59:40 AM »
As of today the base has about 40 ft of 5x5x.250 wall tubing at 15.62lb per foot so it weighs 625lbs or so.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2016, 03:40:36 AM »
Looks to be a heck of a nice project! What a beauty! And I love your fabrication work!

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

Jake65mm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2016, 01:30:28 PM »
I have been putting some serious thought in the support bearing side mount and how to design it so i can properly set that bearing,  i wasn't happy using a shim pack because that only gives you up and down adjustment and the increments to large for how close 8 believe it needs to be set.  So i came up with the concept of 4 large set screws and 2 lockdown bolts. I will post a picture once the hardware comes in. The next mental hurdle was how the establish the correct outer bearing height so that all 3 bearings have even load, it was evident this engine wasn't setup correct from new because the flywheel side crank bearing had slight signs of or being overloaded and the other looked new. So between dad and i standing around and some chin scratching we finally came up with a method that we believe is correct. Using 3 drop indicators one on each crank main journal at tdc and one out past the support bearing on the shaft. When the support bearing is raised to far the indicator on the crank journal flywheel side will start to lift, zero the support bearing indicator at that point. Then lower the support bearing in till the side shaft side crank indicator shows lift, note the amount off of zero on the support side indicator  and set bearing height in the middle. Seem ok?

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2016, 06:18:43 PM »
Thanks for a great morning.

I always rejoice when I see a wonderful museum piece like this one find the right home.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

Jake65mm

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 01:09:26 AM »
  To answer you question about what i plan on running with it i haven't figured that out yet. I have however decided that i am going to dedicate the cs 6/1 to a air compressor setup to charge the tank for air starting the ruston. If you make it see the stationary engines you referenced please snap some pictures i would love to see them.

Now THAT'S an engine!!

And one hell of a mounting as well!
There are a few of these engines running in a permanent situation at the local Vintage Machinery club.  Nicely set up in a Colourbond shed on a concrete Floor which vibrated nicely under ones feet.  They run all 3 at onc and even though I have gone and watched them half a dozen times before, I go mark to marvel at them every time I visit there.  Show is on again next weekend so if I get there I'll be back to watch again.

Are you going to drive anything with this? I like to see them run but I like to see them doing something even better. :0)

Thanks for showing this. Really interesting to see and admire your significant skills in building the mounting for this.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 05:17:38 AM »
I, for one, would be happy to view those vids! Always entertaining and educational.

Thanks for all your input!

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 01:34:45 PM »
Jake, the way that outboard bearing was set back in the day was by placing an indicator between the crank throws near the main bearing center line. You are measuring the distance between them.   Then the  crankshaft is then rotated and the bearing moved to correct any noted deflection.  While it can be done with an inside mic (and a lot of patience)  or a magnetic base indicator the prim and proper tool shows up on Ebay UK every so often. I thought about buying one just for giggles.
Butch
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 04:35:21 PM by 38ac »
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

Jake65mm

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2016, 07:45:26 PM »
I got the open ends capped up and started to set the cooling tank.

Jake65mm

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2016, 03:49:30 AM »

Jake65mm

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2017, 07:43:22 PM »

vdubnut62

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2017, 05:25:29 AM »
Now that's an Engine!
Ron
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."   Plato.

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

Jake65mm

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2017, 09:19:28 PM »
I started out with this

and this is the final product after aging

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2017, 02:07:48 AM »

Jake, that engine is a thing of beauty.  I'm extra jealous.  Great effort

Cheers, Mike

Jake65mm

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2017, 03:38:03 PM »
I finished pluming the air start lines last night, I also reset the air injection timing cam lobe to the the correct location. This test was done at 125 psi.
https://youtu.be/VK8-9ofwM4M
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 04:17:39 PM by Jake65mm »