Puppeteer

Author Topic: Florida hurricane  (Read 5966 times)

tiger

• Retired-Retarded-Work well with adult supervision
    • View Profile
Florida hurricane
« on: October 06, 2016, 04:32:12 AM »
It looks like  "rocket boy" "cujet" "horseless" and others are going to exercise their listeroids once again!  I hope they will tell how it goes, as their exploits got me into the listeroids. At 77 I've been thru several and some typhoon's to boot, none can be taken lightly! I think their exploits are why we do what we do and or are.
 My prayers for those in peril
Metro 12/2 ST 10 KW

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: Florida hurricane
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 04:39:56 AM »
+1

Keep calm and fire up the Lister!

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 09:04:32 AM »
The last time I lived off-grid, even though we had our own redundant electrical sources, we used propane for refrigeration so that could operate at all times without intervention. Of course the big drawback to that is the cost of the appliances being 3 or 4 times what similar electric powered units would be.

As far as the US Government FEMA organization and emergency response goes, I think that is mostly a lost cause as far as immediate emergency aid is concerned. In particular I despise the corruption that follows/chases the money. There are far more grass-roots and individual efforts that get in to help in these situations almost immediately and there is a lot of immediate action that probably does not make the news. We seem to have a very negative orientation in much of our media. I remain a strong believer in self-reliance along with a focus on what my immediate community might need in an emergency and a willingness to help. I do maintain emergency stocks for considerably more than what I could ever need and I choose not to live near any large population centers. Most people either do not have the foresight or ability to think and operate in those kinds of terms. Many would rather wait for a government intervention and a handout. I fear the worst in the urban centers should anything truly catastrophic happen on much of a scale.

dieselgman

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 11:56:28 AM »
As far as the US Government FEMA organization and emergency response goes, I think that is mostly a lost cause as far as immediate emergency aid is concerned.

Wow! I was thinking I might have had a distorted media version but a statement like that really is something... and worrying!

Please understand that my commentary was intended to stress their IMMEDIATE response capability compared to self-help and local response... local resources are always going to trump a Federal bureaucracy in terms of speed and efficiency. This seems to be the natural order of things. And yes, I am certain that the media view is distorted! They tend to report heavily on what is most sensational and controversial.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 11:59:22 AM by dieselgman »

Apogee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 03:13:37 PM »
Anyone in the path of this storm please play it smart and stay safe.  It will be interesting to see what shape the Bahamas are in after this storm.  I was down there following Andrew and things were certainly quite the mess.  With how slowly this is moving, I'm sure they're getting hammered.

Hopefully the Listers are thunking away doing their job.

Bahamas folks, please update us when you get the chance.

Best to you,

Steve

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 06:11:57 PM »
Amazing.  That folks stay in an area that has repeated disasters decade after decade don't get the hell out.  If you're going to stay either build it out of poured concrete or put up a yurt.  I just don't get it.

And remember the NEWS people are looking for the worse case scenarios.  Just as important is to remember that NEWS organizations are selling newspapers by telling stories that people will pay to listen, watch or read.  Truth?  Always balanced!  with sales.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

Apogee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 06:48:58 PM »
Casey,

I get where you're coming from but I can tell you first-hand that the Bahamas is an AMAZING place!  I was there many years ago for 4 months cruising to various islands (there are ~700 in the chain) and I STILL think of my time there and really miss it.  There are very few placing in the world where it literally takes your breath away almost everyday.  Amazing, amazing, amazing!

Then there's the aspect of the challenge that something like this brings.  I don't know about you, but I like challenges as long as they don't result in complete devastation.  Short of that, matching ones wits against something like this is scary, dangerous and a rush at the same time.

Like I wrote above, I hope everyone plays it smart and stays safe.

Steve

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2016, 08:17:18 PM »
When I lived in Guam, location of annual typhoons, the military housing was all low concrete with steel shutters on the windows. These would withstand just about any kind of storm without any damage at all - smart. When the storms came, you would just batten down the hatches and wait. The civilian populations on the other hand, hammered almost every time a severe storm would hit.

Stay safe!

dieselgman

George A

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2016, 09:07:38 PM »
Been watching the updates all morning and feeling helpless. Sure, I want to hear reports on how well Listeroids handle the situation too, but all we can do is pray and hope the folks in Florida use good, common sense.

Godspeed.
I've joined "the dark side"....if it has a spark plug, it's obsolete technology.

32 coupe

• "Doc Johnson" on call !
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2016, 10:35:54 PM »

Yep here I am right on the coast right where it's going to hit.
I have a 40x80 round top aircraft hangar in my front yard and that's where
I will be staying.
5 pm now and am still in the house as of now. The house is stick construction so I
don't trust it at all I will probably move to the shop in the next hour or so .

If we make it through I.will probably use the trusty Changfa with the 15kw st head.
If the house doesn't make it I have a 31ft Gulfstream camper in my shop in Kentucky that
I will bring down to Florida to live in while I fight it out with the insurance company.

Wish us luck and if we make it I will keep you all posted.

Gary

Metro 6/1 turning a ST 7.5 KW gen head
Changfa 1115 turning a ST 15 KW gen head
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"

Apogee

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2016, 11:41:07 PM »
Gary,

You'll make it just fine.

If there is anything we can do to help, please don't hesitate to let us know.

Hang in there and be safe.

Good luck!

Steve