Author Topic: Massive power outage in western Australia..........  (Read 9482 times)

George A

• View Profile
Massive power outage in western Australia..........
« on: September 28, 2016, 01:41:43 PM »
Just read this morning that most of western Australia is in the dark due to a storm taking down a transmission tower. Evidently this tripped various protection devices in the system until everything was down, something like 1.6 million people in the dark.

I wonder how many SOM's are still out there, ready to do their job?
I've joined "the dark side"....if it has a spark plug, it's obsolete technology.

George A

• View Profile
Re: Massive power outage in western Australia..........
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 04:13:04 PM »
You're right, it was southern Australia.........thanks for the clarification. I'm usually a little more careful than that!

After reading a couple of articles about the situation, I agree that it sounds like a political coverup of what actually happened. As for being "dirty coal free", then buying it from a neighboring state........well, that's hypocrisy at it's finest.

As for that Ebay seller, report the idiot! Most sellers are pretty good but every once in a while one needs to have his head slammed on the pavement repeatedly until he learns that "cheaters never prosper......"
I've joined "the dark side"....if it has a spark plug, it's obsolete technology.

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 06:32:00 PM »
Damn Rights!

Let's all jump in and whip the bastards before we actually know what's going on.  I wonder which military sector they'll pull in to blow up the towers to make it look like storm damage.  How about a quick sortie by the Russians over from Syria?  Too far?  I bet the North Koreans need a couple of missile test sites.  Down with goberment!  Up with ?????(Oh, Oops, I guess I don't have an alternative suggestion but I know gobermentists are a bunch of lying money grubbing communist sustainable anti capitalistic princesses).

What is wrong with all these "New Age" pseudo-thinkers that bad mouth coal fired energy and dirty air.  I grew up on dirty air and look at me!  And trying something new or going out on the edge.  Stupid, Stupid, STUPID!

I'll bet they're working on getting clean drinking water to children and other schemes to line their pockets with money and power.

Whew!  That felt good.  Hey, being a naysayer is kind of fun.  Bullshit is just the truth in disguise.

Cheers

NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

George A

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 02:53:54 AM »
Don't want to turn this in to a political discussion.....BUT.....I've never quite understood how Obama could shut down a major coal industry, putting thousands out of work, and then shut down the coal power plants to boot. So we've lost a good portion of our power production to a politician, and for what? Cleaner air, right? Except that those plants were all equipped with the latest approved scrubbers in order to meet EPA standards. I'd better stop now before I get the moderator's attention. See some of my postings (3006guns) in the political section of the Cast Boolits Forum.......wear safety goggles.

So, when I saw the bit about one Australian state using coal power from another, then claiming cleaner air..........well, it sounded exactly the same to me. At any rate, I hope a good investigation reveals the truth to the people.........that Lister C/S engines need to go back into production!

Oh, good job with the seller on Ebone!

George A

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 06:33:16 PM »
New information.......seems that Australia is putting too much faith in wind power:

http://dailycaller.com/2016/09/29/wind-power-made-the-lights-go-out-across-an-entire-state/

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 07:38:51 PM »
Unhappiness is a contagious disease. 

The reason that politicians like President Obama can get away with changing the force of destiny is that a great portion of the population supports his decisions.  It's called democracy.  The down side of my favorite form of government is that somewhere around 0 to 49 percent of the population know that the decision is wrong much of the time.  Until the people start micro voting every decision with their phones or microchip implants that's the way it going to be.  How apropos that this thread is appearing now when the US is deciding whether to go backwards towards a fossil fuel based industrial state (Heer Trump) or see just whether or not we can deliver a sustainable planet system to the future (Madam President).

Gosh but my lower back aches.  My first question is "Have I been not cleaning my hemorrhoidal tissues properly?"  The second question once I pass the first one is "Is someone killing the baby to make point?"  And there we have it.  Coal mining, production and use kills people every stinking day (puns are intended).  Most of the people reading this thread are going to die.  Really.  Please grieve my passing.  (sarcasm encouraged.)

The perfect world is just around the corner.  The skies will be perfectly blue every day except where the pies are placed.

Have a nice day.
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

oldgoat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 10:31:36 AM »
It seems they put too much faith in their wind loading calculations for the towers. I think the legal firms will be rubbing their hands with glee at this windfall. sorry about that had to put it in.

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 11:13:17 PM »
glort,                                                         Edit Corrected

The whole green thing has become nothing but a giant money making scam.... Does it ever end?  The whole green thing?  Really?

Why do you never rant about the thousands of people that suffer from coal powered energy.  Where are those "clean" coal plants?  I saw a documentary against electric cars because they use coal powered energy.  A little vision please.  Why didn't this video protest the continued reliance on coal and it's damning side effects?  (Crooked mines with death camp statistics, sky-rocketing asthma statistics among US children and the coal dust trains that rain poor health across the United States.)

But let me chime in - sorta.  There is enough geo-thermal energy potential on the Big Island of Hawaii to provide all of it's electrical energy needs.  The existing power company (notice singular possessive) hasn't one kilowatt of geo-thermal in it's asset portfolio.  Their corporate structure has shipping interests (as in oil tankers) and petroleum processing plants (notice plural possessive).  They just got the Public Utilities Commission to structure the household solar so that all excess generation is credited with 15 cents per kilowatt that they instantaneously sell for 32 cents.  Not a bad markup, huh.  That's over 100% per day or 36,500% per year on the homeowners investment.  But I wonder how this established wonderful company can resist getting into the green revolution.  What they're actually done is get into the driving people to grid free lives.  Remember that geo-thermal reference?  They purchase about 10% of the islands needs from a company for 15 cents a kilowatt and, Yup, sell it instantaneously for 32 cents.  Oh, they just requested a permit to build a natural gas generating plant.  Natural gas needs to be shipped in from the mainland and ran through their processing plant and then shipped to the new "greener" generation plant.  I don't know if the proposed plant is one of the fast responding turbine generation (the kind that supports solar and wind) or just a natural gas fired kettle.

Casey

« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 07:59:15 PM by LowGear »
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

oldgoat

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 11:03:06 AM »
I understand that there is a maintainence cost to the distribution network but I wonder why it is dearer than the maintainence charge for my Telstra line which is exclusive From the Exchange to my premises.Whereas the electricity line is shared by 20 people on the common line from the transformer at the end of my road. The biggest rip off is the individual charge in multiple dwellings where there may be 10 units all fed by the one lead in but all paying the $1.20 a day or thereabouts for the shared line. Having talked to the electricity ombudsman this rip off is allowed by law at the moment. But I have been harassing my local state representative for some answers about this so far with no sensible answers.

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2016, 08:03:05 PM »
Good Grief

I wish I could read as fast as some people type.
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

Thob

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2016, 02:34:00 AM »

I  will  type  slower  for  you  from  now on  if  that  helps  with  your  difficulties  .

Thanks.  I needed a good laugh.
Witte 98RC Gas burner - Kubota D600 w/ST7.5KW head.
I'm not afraid to take anything apart.
I am sometimes afraid I'm not going to get it back together.

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2016, 08:27:07 AM »
That's akin to saying in a letter: "I forgot to include the $10 before I sealed the envelope....I will send it next time I write..."
12/1 750RPM/9HP Roid 5kVA- WMO Disposal/Electricity & Hot Water Gen
12/1 650RPM/8HP Roid 4.5kVa - Demon Dino
Chinese Yanmar - Silent Runner with AutoStart
Classic Komatsu 1963 Dozer/Fergusson 35 Gold Belly ...
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2016, 10:06:53 AM »
Thank you.

Oh, what to do with the spare time?

If ever I should catch up I shall try thinking.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator